Solar's Chaos Arc'er with Voltaxic

This is my take on the Voltaxic caster build. I originally was aiming to create a character that I could potentially export to the Grandmaster map(still considering upgrading atm), but I now play it as my mapping toon because of clear speed and just how cool it is. I looked into a Chaos damage builds because Chaos damage is one of the biggest weaknesses of players at the moment. Can't do much against CI though but due to the popularity of CI dropping in this league because of the buff to life based builds, I was hoping it might stay that way until CI gets a major change. As for spells Arc is better than other lightning spells in this scenario because it auto aims as opposed to something like Spark that is random or Stormcall and Ball Lightning that players could just manually dodge. After I got the bow and started doing maps the potential of the Chaos damage conversion started showing. I can stack critical chance and multiplier without fear of dying to reflect. Mapping has been a breeze so far. The Main build uses Chaos Inoculation but there is also an equally viable life version I will touch upon at the bottom.

Stats
Spoiler

Spec
Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXlxXn8Gtzs4w2E56kkX4zXfK29w5IcNUrCmNDEZaJ0xEv8uF_xnBSRwbBxSepflmioyoL2-csv-wYwfMPxPPqX2qGro_6lSA7fBXX6_UtH7jKVmNkncMJTLMdT_IduZNQMAQHrrM1udteHwJBlhFQpysRDzbFBULQ9W0Zfq_YJIt6LJzZW40ZpwgBb0myEFgbJeAS2t2druL3AuN2EUuu2V8abIRIB6XpAt2M5CJca4IQ34opT45kw23fsIV9gpv3prb6HNyTJ7QM6roNfDQKN2YspqbrN4NXyQ==

I aimed for spell crit chance and damage because of not having he drawback of worrying about reflect. When leveling, just aim start in the Shadow area and work towards the Witch area getting the life clusters and crit nodes. After level 70 or so you can comfortably work towards the Templar area after you get enough defenses and damage. I swapped over to Chaos Inoculation around level 50 or so and did fine.The points I spend going towards the center for the Foresight ES cluster I consider extra points, you could place those towards more damage nodes around the templar area or the Sovereignty Aura Cluster.

Gear
Spoiler

The only required items is the unique Voltaxic Spine bow that the build is made around and Eye of Chayula for the Cannot be Stunned property. Instead of Dream Fragment you could use flasks that break Freeze. An important thing to keep in mind is the high Dexterity requirement for Voltaxic. You could need a few gear pieces to reach the 212 minimum to use the bow. For my current gear set up, the rings, helm, boots and quiver, are the pieces that could hold Dex. You can pick and choose which to get Dex on to fill the requirement.

Every other item is replaceable with a low budget alterative.

If you don’t have access with a 5 or 6 link, you could use Geofri’s Crest with Echo, Empower, and PCoC.
I opted to use Atizir’s Splendour because it helped me going above on resists and the mana on kill is really nice. An alternative is to use Infernal Mantle for the extra 100% spell crit but with that we can’t use Discipline. Because of the low mana pool we would have when using both Clarity and Disc, we would always be at the low mana threshold. You would have to then use only Clarity and perhaps the new Herald of Thunder.

The Voidbringer gloves could be replaced with Maligaro’s Virtuosity if the mana increase is a problem.

Try and get resists to cap yourself out on the non-unique pieces.

Flask
Spoiler

The Atziri’s Promise Flask act as the regen for the build because I don’t currently have a 6 link to socket Life leech. Since the build does 100% chaos damage the flask is essentially 10-15% life leech(plus the extra elemental damage into chaos damage). You could also alternatively replace Faster Casting with Life leech if you don’t like flasking. You would be critting half the time so the surgeon’s mod on the jade, quicksilver, and granite are basically always up.

Gems
Spoiler

The Sixth link would be Empower but if you find that you want more survivability or if you're running Atziri, Life Leech should take its place.

** A level 4 Empower (+3 to the Arc) is stronger than Faster Casting, so if you have access to that, replace accordingly. Thanks Evantis for bringing that up.

** A level 3 Empower gives roughly the same dps as Faster Casting. But additionally your Arc would chain one more time.

4 link alternative in Geofri’s Crest Helm: Arc – Empower – Echo – Increased Critical Damage

Vaal Spark : VP – Echo – GMP is all you’re looking for, the rest you can fill with added cold/chaos/light or pierce depending on your color rolls in your Voltaxic.

Aura: Reduced Mana – Clarity – Discipline/Herald of Thunder – Assassin’s Mark

Cast when damage taken: Cwdt – Enduring Cry – Increased Duration – Immortal Call

I leveled the Cwdt gems to 41 for a longer physical immunity. I have low armour so if I was going to get hit with physical damage I’m probably going to take more than the level 1 Cwdt threshold of 440, I opted for 780 instead. You can choose to level this up further if you want but I wouldn’t go further than 1000 damage threshold, pass that point you are probably going to have a 3 endurance charge Immortal Call anyways.

Mobility: Lightning Warp – Reduce Duration – Faster casting

Make sure to leave a slot open for Blood rage andbut that can also go on the the 3 links.

Bandits
Spoiler
Passive Point, Cast Speed/Passive Point, Power Charge

Life Based Variant
Spoiler
Spec: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYARXyXlxXn8Gtzs4w2E55VS6SRYeJ-MyaVXfIOSHDVY0MRlonTf8YHHnBSflmio5UuKgvB8w_E8NXz6pUgO3yP-klRaxctH7jK6_W86kyzZJ3AVFAwBAeus_IdakMI9Nteg9sfAkGWEQ9VxjbFBULQ9X6vOljYJCycjRmnCEmyEFjgEriT2t2drgLjdhHZX-vuGmwHpd2MmuAWb-QighBFnSSqKU-OZN-wU1I26YV97DiCm_em42o62Bo4tvpN2KeEnjyMdpBVgW8EsxRN8B-iAOOENj2dqmyMYqw=

Gear:
You could use Kaom’s Roots in place of Eye of Chayula for the unstunnable mod and massive life boost. You wouldn’t need to worry about freeze. You could also consider using Cherrubim's Maleficence for the extra chaos damage and leech rate, but getting the right colors would be rough. Other differences include getting life on pieces that you can but that’s about it.

I'll upload a video of the build probably later this week.

I really enjoy making and playing this build these past few days. I realize it isn't the first to use Voltaxic with a lightning based spell. Props to the diamond supporter Icestormer who created Voltaxic and not limit the chaos conversion to the weapon itself.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me here or in game: Solar_IV.
Last edited by Solar_IV on Oct 22, 2014, 5:09:20 PM
great mate

here is my youtube video about this build: click
Beyond league.
Last edited by SEXYSUPERSATAN on Oct 20, 2014, 3:34:00 AM
Thank you for sharing. Some questions to consider:

Why did you skip Breath of Lightning part from tree? 50% increased Shock duration would help so much (+10% shock chance of course too), especially with random targeting skill like Arc and lack of Elemental Proliferation. It would be far better than left 12% lightning nodes, which (with 50% Arc effectiveness) give you net only 6% increased lightning damage per node (as so three Templar 8% lightning nodes gives you only 12% - not the best deal).

Why faster casting (more mana usage) instead of Empower (more Arc damage and additional chain with 21 lvl Arc). You already have 36% faster casting from tree, and Spell echo.

Why Assasins' Mark when you already have tons of crit chance/multiplier and every another point gives you less overall damage increase than previous point (unless you're counting on power charges from it), wouldn't ~40% reduced enemy lightning resistance from Conductivity (and shock duration from quality of course) be better?

Consider 1% lightning damage leeched as life Chayula (http://poe.trade/search/asesiahiyatoki) - not sure if leech works because of damage type conversion, but you will know it as you use Doryani's Invitation/Ghost Reaver.

IGN @Ostropalca
Last edited by Evantis on Oct 20, 2014, 6:08:19 AM
"
sherkhan wrote:
"I looked into a Chaos damage builds because Chaos damage is one of the biggest weaknesses of players at the moment."

CI

Sure there is CI but I think what he means is CI isn't that popular and all the HP based build usually run negative Chaos resist. Many people still have -60% in Merciless.
"
Evantis wrote:
Thank you for sharing. Some questions to consider:

Why did you skip Breath of Lightning part from tree? 50% increased Shock duration would help so much (+10% shock chance of course too), especially with random targeting skill like Arc and lack of Elemental Proliferation. It would be far better than left 12% lightning nodes, which (with 50% Arc effectiveness) give you net only 6% increased lightning damage per node (as so three Templar 8% lightning nodes gives you only 12% - not the best deal).

Why faster casting (more mana usage) instead of Empower (more Arc damage and additional chain with 21 lvl Arc). You already have 36% faster casting from tree, and Spell echo.

Why Assasins' Mark when you already have tons of crit chance/multiplier and every another point gives you less overall damage increase than previous point (unless you're counting on power charges from it), wouldn't ~40% reduced enemy lightning resistance from Conductivity (and shock duration from quality of course) be better?

Consider 1% lightning damage leeched as life Chayula (http://poe.trade/search/asesiahiyatoki) - not sure if leech works because of damage type conversion, but you will know it as you use Doryani's Invitation/Ghost Reaver.

Thanks for the feedback.

About the Breath of Lightning side of the wheel, I chose to skip that part. From what I understand, the shock from a lightning spell critical and the chance to shock is rolled independently and don't add up. My Arc has a 51% chance to crit and I have an additional 30% chance to shock. Arc would be used and it rolls whether the spell would be a critical hit or not. If yes the mob would be hit would connect and apply the shock. If it fails to roll the 51% crit THEN it would roll my chance to shock of 30%. So 51% crit + 30% chance to shock doesn't add up to 81% chance to shock but instead closer to 65%. If this is wrong please someone correct me. The Breath of Lightning half wheel works a lot better with non-crit lightning builds. The shock duration is nice on bosses and bigger mobs, but the smaller guys die too fast to be useful. Ele Prolif could definitely work though. If my damage starts falling off once I hit 77s I would give that a go.

I only got to work with a lvl 2 Empower so +1 Arc level. It ended up giving me less DPS than the Faster Casting. If Empower was lvl 3 or higher then it would probably if not surely overpower the Faster Casting. I didn't do the math here but from other Arc and caster builds I've looked up Faster Casting and Echo together work wonders because of the MORE cast speed mod.

Unfortunately Conductivity and Lightning Penetration doesn't work with the converted Chaos damage. The build does 100% chaos damage and unless they come out with a -Chaos Resist curse, Assassin's Mark is probably the best for damage at the moment. Assassin's Mark also works like the chance to shock I went into above. The additional chance to crit is rolled after the initial 51% crit roll. SO I'm not getting much crit chance from that, but the crit multiplier helps a lot.

Elemental Leech like the 1% from Doryani's Invitation doesn't work with the Chaos damage sadly. The leech I get comes from the Atziri's Promise flask.

This build's potential damage is probably dwarfed by an Arc build that uses double Void Batteries or Pledge of Hands because the Bow and Quiver offer no spell power or cast speed, well the quiver has crit multi so i guess that's nice. But I'm having loads of fun playing it and who doesn't like glowing purple corpses.
Is the ES quiver any good? Soul Strike
dual totem ci easy street. u can use Elemental equilibrium as well and gain power charges with ice spear gmp pcoc.

u can crit for 0 damage and trigger ee with 0 cold damage.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
"
leighferon wrote:
dual totem ci easy street. u can use Elemental equilibrium as well and gain power charges with ice spear gmp pcoc.

u can crit for 0 damage and trigger ee with 0 cold damage.

Dual Totems could work. But I've never took a liking to totem builds and rather self cast. Totems are really nice for playing safe and also avoiding reflect, but this I haven't encountered much of a problem yet with either. EE doesn't affect the damage of Chaos Damage unfortunately.
I assume you would make some adjustments before exporting this character to the Grandmaster map? I don't know the specifics like how the resists and life is going to transfer or if its going to be exactly like PVP but you might want to overcapp on resists and such.
wish they added some sort of quiver that has caster mods for this build for CoC builds

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info