LLD Tournament set-up

Back some months ago when GGG first started talking about making pvp tournaments--they said they plan on making it based on how many wins you can get per some amount of time. They stated that this was so to encourage exciting game play--especially for streams. I feel that this encourage a lot of builds to just be glass cannon 1-shot builds (ex. Puncture and crit daggers).

I believe it would be best to diversify the types of builds out there. In a set up like suggested, certain builds would be terribly inefficient--ones that rely on waiting your opponent out, and drying them of their potions (curse immunity especially).

Slow builds like this are the follwing
Curse caster/tank (enzyme, lordsidro)
Poison arrow (the build I'm using currently XD)
Life regeneration

These all rely on waiting your opponent out and winning the long con.

I personally don't want the meta to be consisted of one-shot wonder builds where matches last 10 seconds, where it basically becomes a DPS fest.

Here is a strawpoll. Lets here your opinions.
http://strawpoll.me/2820740

IGN: Beardedwizzard
Last edited by mrmagikboy on Oct 19, 2014, 7:12:27 PM
Hey man. So these are some of the events that we discussed while I was there. Although they may change slightly, this is what we've got so far:

-Free for All: Throws you into a sarn arena with other people. As long as you keep killing, you stay there. When you are killed, you are thrown in a new sarn arena with new people.
-Rapid-fire (undecided name): You join a traditional pvp arena in a 1v1 with someone performing at your skill level in the tournament. The match is a sudden death! First person to kill the other wins. You will have a few seconds to swap gear if needed and then you can choose to jump right into the next match.
-Swiss Tournament (undecided name): This is a competitive event where all players always have the same amount of games played. The tournament advances using Rounds so if your match ends quickly you'll wait for the next round to begin. When you win, you move on to play someone else who won their match. If you lose, you go up against another Loser. As the rounds progress, a skill level ladder will begin to show and you will always be queued with someone performing at the same skill level as you in the tournament. Players who are constantly winning will play other good players who are constantly winning too. These events last quite a lot longer. Players are given time to relax and change gear when they are in town before their next match. Even if players go to the longest possible match time, they are given at least 60 secs to change gear before the next round begins. This mode will be a best of 7 where the map is randomized between 3 balanced maps. Each map is always different from the previous. In the event of a tie, both players are brought into map #3 (which cannot be the same as the previous two) for the final match point.

GGG was keen to do the more "casual" events to attract masses of new players to pvp. I think those events will be very fun too and I agree they will attract a broader audience. However I pushed the idea of this competitive swiss tournament to please the die hard pvpers. This tournament is the one that determines the best players. They will also release an API so poearena should be able to create a ladder ranking based on the competitive events in order to show a point system ladder of who is the best (that only pulls from competitive events) [because GGG won't release such a ladder but are keen to help us make one].

I asked Chris permission to say all this. I am usually under NDA but he was kind enough to allow me to release this info early. Enjoy!
IGN: @GreenDude
Last edited by GreenDude on Oct 19, 2014, 8:52:28 PM
"
GreenDude wrote:
This mode will be a best of 7 where the map is randomized between 3 balanced maps. Each map is always different from the previous.

This is a great thing to hear. I hope to never see that rainy map again. Also I had an idea about the maps. In area's of the maps that are disadvantageous (being at the top looking down) there should be places like shrines that refill a small portion of your flasks. This way there is not just one good spot on the map. I think this could balance out the whole "being on the top vs being on the bottom hassle".
"
mrmagikboy wrote:

This is a great thing to hear. I hope to never see that rainy map again. Also I had an idea about the maps. In area's of the maps that are disadvantageous (being at the top looking down) there should be places like shrines that refill a small portion of your flasks. This way there is not just one good spot on the map. I think this could balance out the whole "being on the top vs being on the bottom hassle".

I disagree on altering the mode by giving flask charges or anything. However I spoke with Joel_GGG who takes care of the maps. We have discussed the balancing of maps and although I cannot reveal details, I promise they will be much more balanced than some of them have been. A good way to do this is to make maps mirrored (or close to mirrored) so that if there is a spot that gives an advantage, both players are at equal distance to that spot and can run for it.

Oh and I let him know about rain crashing some players.
Last edited by GreenDude on Oct 19, 2014, 10:12:18 PM
"
GreenDude wrote:
Hey man. So these are some of the events that we discussed while I was there. Although they may change slightly, this is what we've got so far:

-Free for All: Throws you into a sarn arena with other people. As long as you keep killing, you stay there. When you are killed, you are thrown in a new sarn arena with new people.
-Rapid-fire (undecided name): You join a traditional pvp arena in a 1v1 with someone performing at your skill level in the tournament. The match is a sudden death! First person to kill the other wins. You will have a few seconds to swap gear if needed and then you can choose to jump right into the next match.
-Swiss Tournament (undecided name): This is a competitive event where all players always have the same amount of games played. The tournament advances using Rounds so if your match ends quickly you'll wait for the next round to begin. When you win, you move on to play someone else who won their match. If you lose, you go up against another Loser. As the rounds progress, a skill level ladder will begin to show and you will always be queued with someone performing at the same skill level as you in the tournament. Players who are constantly winning will play other good players who are constantly winning too. These events last quite a lot longer. Players are given time to relax and change gear when they are in town before their next match. Even if players go to the longest possible match time, they are given at least 60 secs to change gear before the next round begins. This mode will be a best of 7 where the map is randomized between 3 balanced maps. Each map is always different from the previous. In the event of a tie, both players are brought into map #3 (which cannot be the same as the previous two) for the final match point.

GGG was keen to do the more "casual" events to attract masses of new players to pvp. I think those events will be very fun too and I agree they will attract a broader audience. However I pushed the idea of this competitive swiss tournament to please the die hard pvpers. This tournament is the one that determines the best players. They will also release an API so poearena should be able to create a ladder ranking based on the competitive events in order to show a point system ladder of who is the best (that only pulls from competitive events) [because GGG won't release such a ladder but are keen to help us make one].

I asked Chris permission to say all this. I am usually under NDA but he was kind enough to allow me to release this info early. Enjoy!

Meh, while I understand the concept behind Rapid-fire, it doesn't sound appealing to me. It encourages a high-damage/high-risk playstyle where players are ranked by their ability to speed through matches by killing fast more than by their ability to weather the attacks from an opponent and counter him. All I can foresee from this PvP mode is a bunch of crit builds playing Flicker Strike and such. There's no build diversity in that, and then it all comes down to who can one-shot the other, which is basically a battle of RNG (who manages to get the lucky crit that hits).

This may just be me bashing on crit builds, but as it stands there really isn't a good reason for players to choose a different melee attack-based build--or perhaps any other build, since caster builds are still being overshadowed for the most part--over a crit dagger build (at least for this PvP mode). Crit builds have such high offensive capability while still retaining defensive options that are nearly the same, if not the same, as standard attack-based builds (Crest of Perandus, Acrobatics, some evasion, etc.). If Rapid-fire is going to be interesting at all, there needs to be balancing introduced that makes other build options (and not just really wacky, hard-to-pull-off, wealth-limited builds) worth consideration.

I'm sure this issue is being raised as GGG develops and balances PvP in preparation for the first official season, but it's still an issue that I'd like to bring up.
Last edited by mimivirus on Oct 20, 2014, 3:20:09 AM
Which is why GD mentioned that there are going to be some changes to the way crit scales in pvp right now. Maybe there will be less one shots overall.

LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
Yep. As i said balance changes are coming, keep that in mind.

I was not a fan of rapid-fire either. I told them pretty much what you said: aggressive play, does not represent skill level, requires wearing a ton of utility items because there is no round to "test the waters". They insisted that this mode will be fun and create its own niche following and that players would enjoy a casual, hop-in-anytime event where there is no waiting.

At that point i said give me swiss competitive event and i will tolerate (and maybe even enjoy!) the addition of rapid-fire. Let's be honest, this mode won't appeal to ppl who currently pvp but this could appeal to newcomers. And the more pvpers the merrier!
Last edited by GreenDude on Oct 20, 2014, 9:10:50 AM
"
GreenDude wrote:
Yep. As i said balance changes are coming, keep that in mind.

I was not a fan of rapid-fire either. I told them pretty much what you said: aggressive play, does not represent skill level, requires wearing a ton of utility items because there is no round to "test the waters". They insisted that this mode will be fun and create its own niche following and that players would enjoy a casual, hop-in-anytime event where there is no waiting.

At that point i said give me swiss competitive event and i will tolerate (and maybe even enjoy!) the addition of rapid-fire. Let's be honest, this mode won't appeal to ppl who currently pvp but this could appeal to newcomers. And the more pvpers the merrier!

I feel that if a new comer would join the fast paced pvp setup, they would meet some geared out pro with max dps who smashes them is a second and quit, thinking "wow my build sucks". Perhaps put in place a type of ranking system based on wins to loss ratio, and have players with similar ratios play each other.
"
mrmagikboy wrote:

I feel that if a new comer would join the fast paced pvp setup, they would meet some geared out pro with max dps who smashes them is a second and quit, thinking "wow my build sucks". Perhaps put in place a type of ranking system based on wins to loss ratio, and have players with similar ratios play each other.

"
GreenDude wrote:

Last edited by GreenDude on Oct 20, 2014, 5:53:09 PM
"
GreenDude wrote:
"
mrmagikboy wrote:

"
GreenDude wrote:

OK that's great. Not sure how I missed that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info