Are skills supported by Cast When Damage Taken supposed to have a mana cost?

The UI/Gem/Wiki seem to make it appear that they do but from testing it doesn't use the mana when cast. Is it supposed to work like this? If so the UI is bugged. If not then the gem is bugged.
Last edited by waterfoul on Oct 19, 2014, 6:46:43 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
there (sadly) is no mana cost on trigger gems like cast when damage taken, cast when crit and so on.
From my experience cast of crit does incur a mana cost
"
waterfoul wrote:

Spells casted through CoCS (and other trigger games also) have no mana cost

Simple math: Spectral Throw+ GMP (5 projectiles) + Fireball_lvl 20 + other similar spells like IceSpear and Arctic Breath

Fireball [base manacost 32] * GMP mana multiplier * 5 projectiles * number of enemies hit (number of crits)
Ice Spear [28 manacost] * (those numbers)
Arctic Breath [22 manacost] * (those numbers)

(That's all in sum) AND multiplied by Attacks\sec coefficient.

So you're saying that CoCS spells would require more than 1000 mana per 1 Spectral Throw every time?
Hilarious...

Your issue is that (apparently) you need to have at least 1 MP for triggers to work.
Your screenshot illustrates it.
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
Last edited by HarukaTeno on Oct 20, 2014, 2:00:42 PM
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
"
waterfoul wrote:

Spells casted through CoCS (and other trigger games also) have no mana cost

Simple math: Spectral Throw+ GMP (5 projectiles) + Fireball_lvl 20 + other similar spells like IceSpear and Arctic Breath

Fireball [base manacost 32] * GMP mana multiplier * 5 projectiles * number of enemies hit (number of crits)
Ice Spear [28 manacost] * (those numbers)
Arctic Breath [22 manacost] * (those numbers)

(That's all in sum) AND multiplied by Attacks\sec coefficient.

So you're saying that CoCS spells would require more than 1000 mana per 1 Spectral Throw every time?
Hilarious...

Your issue is that (apparently) you need to have at least 1 MP for triggers to work.
Your screenshot illustrates it.

1. It doesn't require anywhere near that because COC only casts about half the time and that's only when you crit (which is usually much less) when you add mana gained on hit it just causes a rubberbasnding stuly effect on your mana
2. My screenshot shows it being cast with 0 mana as all of it is reserved.
3. My argument is that, if the no mana cost is intended, the game ui/wiki/skill gem should say so instead of making people guess. At the moment i'm afraid to explot this potential bug (accordign to the game ui) until I know it won't be patched out.
Last edited by waterfoul on Oct 25, 2014, 10:49:52 PM
GGG mind weighing in?
There is a difference between a skill not having a mana cost and you not having to pay that cost.
Skills have a mana cost. To cast them manually you pay this cost. Trigger gems cast the spells for you, bypassing the need for you to pay the cost which the skill still has.

This doesn't matter much at the moment, but if some future unqiue item, say, increased a skill's damage by a value based on it's mana cost, or any similar modifier, that would apply to triggered spells because they have a mana cost, you just avoid paying it.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 2, 2014, 5:11:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info