Elemental hit Problems

So thought I'd do a spin on the Piscator builds that have been tossed around, using EH instead of Power Siphon. Respecced my crappy coc build to a new tree I've made, and am stuck, completely. I know my gems aren't leveled up to where they need to be, I know piscator does 0 damage by itself and is reliant on said gems and gear, but damage with 3 ele auras is abysmal compared to other builds where mediocre gear/tree at least wielded some results. At 1.5k... at lv66 and am crit based!! So need some help, and what the hell I'm doing wrong or info on mechanics :C

Here's gear, ignore non optimal gear as I threw whatever I had on my CoC bar spell damage stuff on it and haven't actually did leveling nor buying/stash looking:

Here's my tree so far (mana junk is to be able to actually maintain EH, 250-300 mana regen should support the skill along with lv18+AA):

It can't be just the gem lvls that are the problem, surely I'd pass at least 5k as a crit build, lv12 EH, lv12 Anger, lv8 Wrath, lv16 Herald of Ice, all of which get +2 level from alpha, so I doubt getting them all lv16+ would put me over 10k. I was planning to get maligaro's, add better amu's/rings but at this point not sure if its even worth continuing unless someone can inform me that hey, its possible to get 15k+ like those other piscator builds which use power siphon which does nothing for damage with piscator except with quality, while EH is basically 2 aura's worth of damage and can give 80% crit chance with 20 quality...
-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Considering Gem levels are pretty much the single largest factor for flat Damage scaling Skills, yes, it most definitely is the Gem levels. Additionally, EH's bonus Elemental Damage 1. sucks 2. isn't factored into the DPS display.
Both Anger and Wrath are horribly underleveled, and make up the largest portion of your flat Damage. Elemental Hit itself deals ~100 or less Base Damage currently.

"
TokyoToho wrote:
other piscator builds which use power siphon which does nothing for damage with piscator except with quality

Power Siphon also deals 125% Base Damage, which is functionally the same as 25% More Damage. That ends up being roughly equal to or stronger than Elemental Hit, plus you get Power Charges out the ass.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 19, 2014, 6:57:39 PM
ew I forgot about the whole X base damage :c Still, you would think 200 extra ele damage from the hit would outweigh 25% more damage, but perhaps not when you add in flat damage from gear and the quality from PS.

But nah, don't think, even at lv16 (norm at lv66), for both anger+wrath, would shoot the damage up from 1.5k > 10k, even though collectively that would equal 12 gem lvls, + 4 from ele hit, which if you say is true isn't even factored into dps. Even it that were so, 10k is rather mediocre.

Oh well, waste of 15 regrets and time trying to make a unique build :/ Guess I'll wait till new leagues to play and not waste time making 4+ dumb builds ;.;
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Its not even the gem itself. difference between EH and PS should matter maybe about 25% considering you dont need to use the pcoc gem anymore. You are down a 0 at least. This is:

1. your gem lvls are horendous
2. no Q on the gem. no crit multi linked (this should be better than FA once you get enough ias)
3. your tree is a terrible wander tree.

If you have mana problems with this tree upgrade the es on your gear. plox. if you have life problems in your tree currently, level up. I mean, your gloves, chest, amulet and belt are bad. For the build that is. Try to work assasin's mark in the build.

for the differences between the trees: Charisma is not needed early on, if you cant put on all auras, simply dont. sovereignity is something you want eventually anyways. Go into the the elemental wpn dmg there and pick up the templar life. Later, you can go into charisma. If you even need to. True strike of course you should pick up, but the wander wheel on top gives waaay more dmg, and is priority no1, as are power charges btw.

Elemental hit is a pretty decent skill, that its not power siphon, doesnt mean that it cant put out any dps
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
It's a mixture of gem level and gem choice. For this build I'm going to compare Elemental Hit to Burning Arrow.

The best way to make BA a good AOE skill is to use the burn mechanic that it has. Using EP will cause a single hit to light up an entire room. Although EH doesn't always ignite, it can ignite, chill, freeze, or shock an entire room.

So GMP is not doing you any good, especially against bosses. Use EP instead. This will solve single and multi-target problems.

Look at HOI and Wrath. Wrath is offering more maximum damage than HOI at half the level. Wrath is basically giving you nothing. You need max level gems if you're 60+. Your gems are basically less than half of what they need to be.

You have little increased elemental damage on gear. This is another huge problem, in where Ele Buzzsaw builds had more than 200% increased to bump up to their insane levels. Get more raw ele damage instead of improving your rings/amulet.

Another thing to note is that most of the wand nodes are generic 'wand damage' instead of 'wand physical' or 'wand elemental'. This means that they scale all types of damage, physical, elemental and even chaos. They also offer 12-15% increase per node vs. the 10% from most elemental damage nodes.
Your auras will be at lvl 14 in no time at which point you will deal a lot(!) more damage. At your current stage i'd rather use LMP instead of GMP until you get your damage up a bit.

For more help there would be a little more info required:
- chance to hit
- crit chance
- crit multi
- attack speed
11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
"
leary93 wrote:
Its not even the gem itself. difference between EH and PS should matter maybe about 25% considering you dont need to use the pcoc gem anymore. You are down a 0 at least. This is:

1. your gem lvls are horendous
2. no Q on the gem. no crit multi linked (this should be better than FA once you get enough ias)
3. your tree is a terrible wander tree.

If you have mana problems with this tree upgrade the es on your gear. plox. if you have life problems in your tree currently, level up. I mean, your gloves, chest, amulet and belt are bad. For the build that is. Try to work assasin's mark in the build.

for the differences between the trees: Charisma is not needed early on, if you cant put on all auras, simply dont. sovereignity is something you want eventually anyways. Go into the the elemental wpn dmg there and pick up the templar life. Later, you can go into charisma. If you even need to. True strike of course you should pick up, but the wander wheel on top gives waaay more dmg, and is priority no1, as are power charges btw.

Elemental hit is a pretty decent skill, that its not power siphon, doesnt mean that it cant put out any dps

Well I said ignore the gear, I obviously have major improvements to make, they were just what I saw in stash and threw on the guy, as it was a respec and not more then a hour or 2 of work/planning. Chest was only 5-link I had around. Maligaro's will be the gloves I use. Hybrid Es/EV shield will be used. Chest with 500+ ES will be used. I'm purely testing the damage before any shopping. Rings gave me crit which i needed without maligaro's, I equipped a 20%+ increased ele built which only gave 100 damage extra...

As for the tree, highly disagree. How is it a terrible? My tree is only slightly different then other piscator/ele wander builds, in which I need mana/ES hybrid to support EH, most of which give me life simultaneously. If I had chain+GMP like other piscator builds , it would come out to 240 something mana for EH, which with 16% reduction would be around 200 mana per attack, which you need tons of regen to support on top of running a lv20 AA, if I chose that route. Going into templar is a no no, way too much points. Here's my final spec vs Skyforth's Piscator's tree:

Pierce nodes are really great for skills without chain. If I can get enough ES then perhaps I can drop Dyanomo circle for more attack speed/life/ele dmg. I obviously need to pick up the wand circle asap but aura nodes came first and am able to run wrath+anger+clarity+hoI with some mana to spare. Assassin's mark will be used, I was just testing damage and came straight here because 1.5k is atrocious even for the low gem levels. Doubling gem lvl should double my damage, but that would only mean....3k dps...Quality is end game, you can't expect someone before lv 80 to have 20/20 gems.
Last edited by TokyoToho on Oct 20, 2014, 5:57:05 AM
"
Natharias wrote:
It's a mixture of gem level and gem choice. For this build I'm going to compare Elemental Hit to Burning Arrow.

The best way to make BA a good AOE skill is to use the burn mechanic that it has. Using EP will cause a single hit to light up an entire room. Although EH doesn't always ignite, it can ignite, chill, freeze, or shock an entire room.

So GMP is not doing you any good, especially against bosses. Use EP instead. This will solve single and multi-target problems.

Look at HOI and Wrath. Wrath is offering more maximum damage than HOI at half the level. Wrath is basically giving you nothing. You need max level gems if you're 60+. Your gems are basically less than half of what they need to be.

You have little increased elemental damage on gear. This is another huge problem, in where Ele Buzzsaw builds had more than 200% increased to bump up to their insane levels. Get more raw ele damage instead of improving your rings/amulet.

So your saying run ele prolif despite having no AoE nodes? Then would gem links be like this:

EH - WED - Ele Prolif - Increase AoE - Crit damage - LL?

And yes, as countless times, I know about gem lvl, I'll try to lvl them up to at least 16 each sometime whenever. 30% x 3 should be enough for increased wpn ele on gear, you can't get much more then that on gear alone, but then need crit+crit multi, then need flat damage, then need accuracy, then need life, then need resist, then need mana regen... =w=

ok, im out then, just sayin I could easily make a 10k+ EH build (which should come down to around 4k EH on lvl 65 in my general experience of curving up dmg, anyways, the tree is indeed not THAT horrible, but the fact that its at lvl 66 its horrible. How you move through your tree during a leveling process is very important if you want to sustain dps all the way. Running all aura's is just whatever early on, its reaching that crit treshold that matters. power charges work very big towards this. you cant expect a crit based build to start shining directly at 66 if you dont chose the right route.
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
Last edited by leary93 on Oct 20, 2014, 9:31:23 AM
"
TokyoToho wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:

So your saying run ele prolif despite having no AoE nodes? Then would gem links be like this:

EH - WED - Ele Prolif - Increase AoE - Crit damage - LL?

And yes, as countless times, I know about gem lvl, I'll try to lvl them up to at least 16 each sometime whenever. 30% x 3 should be enough for increased wpn ele on gear, you can't get much more then that on gear alone, but then need crit+crit multi, then need flat damage, then need accuracy, then need life, then need resist, then need mana regen... =w=

EP alone is AOE enough.

I'd do either:

EH + EP + LL + WED + Faster Attacks + Increased Crit chance/damage

EH + EP + WED + Faster Attacks + Increased Crit damage + Additional Accuracy (if you use Warlord's Mark for leech and want more accuracy/crit chance from the AA support gem)

Basically you always deal at least some fire, cold, and lightning damage if you are using Anger, Wrath, and Herald of Ice. This means mobs will always ignite and are likely to be frozen/shocked depending on what happens. Freezing enemies can be problematic as it prevents fire from proliferating. If this is the case, I'd switch something for either Melee Splash (if melee), Chain, or stick with GMP. But if freezing/shattering is not a problem, then EP will be AOE enough.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info