List of some suggestions

Intro, or why this suggestions matters
Spoiler

Path of Exile is quite the complex game, it is aimed at gamer who love to theorycraft, and in order to do so, must know the deepest arcane of the hidden mechanics.
I'm one of this, but also one of the others.
Those who play casually, don't want to compete really hard and don't want to reach the ladder, playing leisurely with some friends.
In the last year, I'm slowy working on a guide for new French players, mainly because a lot of friends I have don't want to play PoE because it is in English. But one day, there will be international support. And so, I still have some time to finish my guide.
Something strike me though. This guide is becoming really huge, and there is a reason why : there is not enough information accessible on the core mechanics of this game in the game.

Historically, I played Diablo I, and it was fine. The booklet provide some knowledge, and some stuff didn't seems to do anything, until we figure it out ourself(shrines, mainly, and also knock target back that was translate to riposte). But all in all, nothing really important that remain hidden (like affixes).
When Diablo II was out, I bought the official strategy book, that had a lot of stuff that were hidden (like hit point range) but again, nothing really important was hidden (cow level maybe).
Diablo III is a bit more complicated, I think, but didn't play enough to judge.

Now I have played PoE and followed a lot the forum, and GGGTracker, every day, looking for dev technical answer. And now, I realise there is far too much things that are important and hidden. A lot of people constantly ask questions on the forum, and there is too much people adding «I didn't realised» after someone answer.
I have help a lot of new French players on TS, but also old players... and I kept learning thing as I browse topics to consolidate my builds. But my researches are becoming more and more burdening as time pass because finding that one post from a dev some long times ago is hard.

TL;DR: Having to depends on an extern wiki to theorycraft make the game unfinished... I hope GGG is going to, one day, overtake the function of the wiki.
All in all, this is my consolidated suggestion list, maybe covering a lot of other suggestions posted on this forum, count this as a +1 for them.

* item level should be visible.
When there is recipe that depends on them, craft that depends on them, sockets that depends on them, there is no good argument against hiding them. Having to press alt in trade windows is more obscure than typing /itemlevel, and it is a very bad alternative.
EDIT: this functionality seems to have been taken care of for the next patch. Nice.

* movement penalty on piece of armour should be visible on the item.
Because invisible mechanics feel like the game cheats you.

* high valued items should cost something to know that it is worth something.
5-link should vendor for at least some fusing at merchant, so new players can grasp the rarity of the first one they dropped. This is one of the most recurring surprise I get from new players. High tier currency from fusing and upward should have something more than the different sounds they do when dropping. Players using Mirror of Kalandra on dump stuff is ok, people are free to do what they want. But at least they must know that they are manipulating something that seems "rare". People being rip of because they dropped more exalted than chaos and trade them with a very bad ratio, I call it smoothing out the drop rate. Failing to show players what object is valuable or not fall into the design of the game (not utility). There is a reason why there is white, blue, yellow and orange items.

* gems should display the effect and requirement of the next level at all time, to know how the gem will evolves.
This is just some simple and good quality of life improvement, and also make the theorycraft about "why should I level that gem" and "what is that new gem doing" not dependents on external sources.

* when using an orb, display what would be altered, e.g. when using a divine, display the bracket of the possible roll.
This is quality of life, but it's really frustrating to spend half your playing time on other website to know what you can do with this base of item at that itemlevel or "is that thing worth divine?".

* All item bonus should be easily readable in term of mechanics understanding. So all "add 1-3 fire damage" and whatnot should be read as "add 1-3 fire damage to your attacks".
This is one of the most recurring error I see in new player. And don't try do deny it, it is a mistake to write them as thus, why the hell "+10% fire damage" wouldn't work on attack only otherwise?.

* Every modifier that can be both local and global should be explicitly written.
The basic logic is "if it can work on the item, then it's local" but that is quite wrong... accuracy is local but not the increase fire damage when you have a weapon with added fire damage. Look at moonstone ring with increase energy shield, then look at block and stun recovery on shield. There are still some incoherence in the wording of those affix, and I don't think adding "local" everywhere will be worth than letting the players wondering which is local and which is not.

* Basic status effect should be specified in the game, somewhere.
I was reviewing my guide when I realized burning damage had changed in 1.0.2. I knew, but forgot, and though it was old not to date data, until I check and corrected myself. This can be said for all the mecanics : burning, shock, blind, flee, chilled, corrupted blood etc...

* Past leagues information should be specified somewhere, could be on the website.
It's ok to merge them, but a lot new players are lost as to what a nemesis mod is, or what the strongbox are, why are they rogue exiles roaming around (and what the hell is a rogue exiles?). Almost all players I got on Team Speak didn't know you could craft Strongbox.
Zana mods are fine... well, kind of, because you see the added affixes in map. But it doesn't explain more about what the league do.

* Some basic information are lacking and are making the game quite obscure.
Block and Stun avoidance allowing free block animation would gain to be an information accessible in game. Same can be said for experience gain from gem in offhand. The harder part is explaining how accuracy, double critical attack roll and armour really work. People consider the % of damage reduced stat from armour as a given, and chance to hit to. When you try to teach them that chance to hit is entropy based, they say "that's not what I see from my chance to hit"...

* Improve information on local chat message
A lot of people keep calling helplessly for their teamates while in town. Don't know how to improve it, but it must. Just go to a random crowded town and wait a little, you'll see someone feeling lonely... and he doesn't and can't know what is really wrong. I mean "local", how is that different from how they usually speak, and why it should have been different.

* Change some quest rewards
Arriving in act3 merciless and throwing a random rare to help you... really? The first time I did quest, I was happy to have a rare, but rng make it 90% vendor trash all the time, and from the second character, I don't bother picking up the rare belt in act2, I made stock.
On the other side, I decided to do a glacial cascade witch, and failed to pick it up at the only one moment where 3 gems were good for my build. And it never ever appeared in quest reward after that. How can people test skill if they never find them?
Magic potion? no thank you, I prefer my white ones, that spare me 6 glassblower bubble and 1 scroll of wisdom for the price of 1 transmute.

* For all the things I forgot, what is good to add to the in-game info ? the things we cannot try ourself to discover or wihout a cost.
- herald of ash overkill without physical damage, curse on hit with ancestral bond, romira with discharge are all fine.
- knowing what a gem should do a next level is more a grey area, it's still mainly quality of life.
- knowing that none of your message got read because you are talking in local, we cannot do it alone.
- knowing that exile pop up in knwon safe area. I saw thread of guys losing a life that way, this is costly learning.

Thanks for reading.
Guide français : http://sites.google.com/view/poefr/
Last edited by vindoq on Apr 11, 2015, 5:07:37 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Totally forgot about a big one :

- UI
* All item bonus should be easily readable in term of mechanics understanding. So all "add 1-3 fire damage" and whatnot should be read as "add 1-3 fire damage to your attacks".
* Every modifier that can be both local and global should be explicitly written. Weapon affix are all local except for the ones that are written as global, but that's not very good when you have helm, armour and other with bonus like accuracy. It is confusing that accuracy bonus on a weapon is not displayed in local ui windows and still count as local (or maybe I'm wrong and it is global accuracy bonus, but that just help my point). Same for armour, when am amulet gives you 16% increase armour. Of course most of them are quite logic if we look at all the affix that exist, with unique and corrupted ones. Does block and stun recovery on shield apply only when blocking with this shield ? why does 20% increase physical damage on my belt apply to Ethereal Knives and add 12-20 physical damage doesn't ? There are still some incoherence in the wording of those affix, and I don't think adding "local" everywhere will traumatise players.
Bump with update.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info