Option to disable reentering of the password on new locations

Edit: The forum doesn't correctly store my post while the preview is working fine. Here is an unformatted version of the post:

I have changed my security concept to store passwords in all applications that support it (the files are protected by a transparent encryption) as it enhances the security:

I'm able to use now really complex passwords that would normally not memorized anymore in an acceptable amount of time.
There is no risk anymore to enter the password into the wrong application (for example on focus changing, tiredness or other common errors).

But every time the IP changes (which happens here every 24 hours) Path of Exile requires the user to reenter the password which does upset my plans. I can't also find an option here to disable this feature. Can this feature be disable somehow or have I bad luck?
Last edited by Sworddragon on Oct 16, 2014, 4:00:40 PM
I'd recommend using the Steam client, which authenticates differently, or getting a static IP. If you ask support@grindinggear.com to remove the IP check, they can, but that removes a protective layer and I don't recommend it.
and removing the protection likely won't change having to re-enter your password when your ip address changes.

the problem is that your external IP is used as a salt on the password encryption key. if your salt changes, your password can no longer be decrypted for security reasons.

the only way to bypass this problem is to use the Steam client.
Last edited by Drakier on Oct 15, 2014, 11:17:01 AM
"
ionface wrote:
I'd recommend using the Steam client, which authenticates differently

I prefer to keep dependencies as low as possible.

"
ionface wrote:
or getting a static IP

Static IP addresses are a privacy issue and normally not natively available for endusers here.

"
ionface wrote:
If you ask support@grindinggear.com to remove the IP check, they can

Thanks, I will do this then.

"
ionface wrote:
but that removes a protective layer and I don't recommend it.

For me it changes the security layer to another one (as explained in the startpost).
Complex passwords don't help when you have a rootkit that can get access to any field within any application.

You have to copy the password to clipboard from your security app to paste it into the other app. This is the weak point that can easily be mined for sensitive data.

You would honestly be better off using Steam because their security is better AND you don't have to type the password ever once your account is active in the Steam client. Also using the Steam client, you don't need a password for your Path of Exile account at all.

If it is security you're concerned with, Steam is your best option.
I have asked the support and they were very fast with an answer (the complete problem was handled within some mails in a few hours) but unfortunately they can't indeed change this.
Last edited by Sworddragon on Oct 18, 2014, 9:34:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info