Build Development: Discharge Scion

Hello all. This thread is going to detail the development of my Discharge Scion that I've been doing some theorycrafting for. The genesis for the build idea was the thought that, with a good charge generation engine, I could both feed Discharge with plenty of charges as well as keep my allies supplied with charges via Conduit. I've looked into a couple existing Discharge builds and while I found them interesting, I think I'm going to end up doing things a bit differently, but I haven't decided exactly how yet. The part that I haven't made up my mind about yet is what my charge generation engine will look like, I plan on testing various generators and seeing what works and what doesn't for me as I level and thought that others may be interested in seeing my progress, especially if the build I end up with ends up working in the end game. This thread may serve as a leveling guide in that case. I am playing this build with Reaper_86 in Rampage league. He is running a pretty straightforward Ranger build (specifically, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZF5qCN0rGkykyezDDFAq6-On_aSak6utdFunADwoKSI/edit#gid=0, softcore version of the skill tree).

Since a level 1 Discharge requires character level 24 and 58 Intelligence, and the first guaranteed source of it for Scion (or any of the other classes with Int as a primary attribute) is Lost in Love in Act 3 Normal, this build won't even start to come to fruition until we're in to act 3 normal. Thus during early leveling we're free to take advantage of whatever we can get that will help us get by. I am planning on running mostly Evasion+Energy Shield for defense since the Scion start area has buffs for both as well as Life. With this in mind, and since I don't really know what my charge generating engine will look like, my initial goals with my skill tree are: getting attributes up, and getting defensive buffs.

My skill tree, as of level 18:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAACGchwyMxMZ411jsoRQpMMlfhguSJa5ARkNa31r682E3sdPTG-WU=

We are as far as the act 2 town, only noteworthy skill gem thus far that I've gotten is Flicker Strike which I may use as an alternate sink for Frenzy Charges (which may also help with mobility in fights). We found a REALLY good Jade Chopper in Axiom Prison (81% increased physical damage!!) which I used until Merveil dropped a good Quartz Scepter (was holding a decent rare Pine Buckler (~53 Evasion iirc) so I could return to using 1h+shield if we found a good 1h and we did). So far I've had no significant trouble staying alive, a few moments where health was getting a bit dicey but nothing too scary. We went straight through Act 1 clearing everything but didn't stop to farm The Ledge or anywhere else for that matter.

My skill tree, as of level 27:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAACGchwyMxLKYtqDGeNAo11jdmOyhFCklnTDJX4YLkiWuMWJARkNaUoJh0t9a-vNhN2mLbWex09Mb5ZQ==

We are as far as the Vaal Ruins in act 2. I got Frenzy from Intruders in Black, actually Reaper_86 got it for me and I got him Assassin's Mark, but it is the pool of choices for Scion as well so it's a guaranteed option for her then. I could also have picked up Enduring Cry but opted instead to get Reaper_86 Assassin's Mark for his build. Frenzy has proven to be pretty efficient in generating Frenzy Charges, and I'll probably use it to feed Discharge once I get it, at least for a while (i.e. until I get something better for Frenzy Charge generation). I acquired a Power Charge on Crit support gem from Sharp and Cruel and have linked it to my Molten Strike which I have been using (couldn't link it to Frenzy because I didn't have green-blue link in my gear). It has not been very good at generating charges since my critical strike chance is shitty and I doubt I will be able to make good use of it with this build (unless I find some way of getting lots of critical strikes it just isn't a fast or reliable enough generator). Near the end of our playtime we had a Lochtonial Caress drop, which is quite convenient since I was working my way towards Conduit already to start giving Reaper_86 Frenzy Charges with Frenzy, this will allow me to delay actually putting more points into that effort and concentrate on getting my defenses up instead (I had started down the right side of the ES wheel in an effort to reach Conduit ASAP but now I can start grabbing the Evasion nodes instead and finish the ES wheel, and getting Conduit, later). I had originally thought that I'd want to invest in the life wheel first, but between my ES and base life+gear I've actually get plenty of hit points for now (160 ES, 400+ life), what's lacking at is my chance to evade (~37% or so). So, now that I can wait on Conduit, I'm going to spec at least 1 side of the Evasion wheel all the way to Reflexes before going after the life wheel (will probably do the same there, and finish doing that on the ES wheel, getting Conduit from the tree afterwards so I can replace Lochtonial Caress with gloves that have good defensive stats then). Has a couple rather close calls with Tora's hunt missions due to the 'grandaddy crab' spawning balls that shoot out lots of lightning damage (my lightning resist is rather shitty, especially the for the first time we encountered this crab (17% iirc) so that's probably the main reason things got dicey). Other than that though, things continue to be smooth sailing. I'm STILL using that Quartz Scepter (it's that freakin good!), only like two 2h weapons that could actually increase my dps (at the expense of having to ditch having a shield ofc), but not by enough of margin to justify ditching the scepter for them.
Last edited by Frightning_Lightning on Oct 10, 2014, 8:50:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info