New Zana Map Device Mod

Stolen from reddit - credit to kungfuweasel for the general idea & credit to Hiiiiiiia for the twist on "map selection"

Theory: If you ask any end game player that has been mapping in the 76-78 range if they want new maps you will get an overwhelming "YESSSSS!!!" from them all. One problem with making new maps is the implementation time. We all understand that making content takes time and respect the reasoning behind not getting new maps all the time.

Solution: Use the existing Zana mechanics to provide high level map access in the lower level map zones.

Implementation: You already have the mechanics in place to have all map zones roll at higher levels (as seen through Zana dailies and random encounters). What if there were a map mod in the map device that, for a small fee, would "reroll" the zone of your map? You would still have to chizle/roll your maps, same as always, so it wouldn't effect mods/quantity.

Example: I roll a 20% Superior Palace map with <Mod A & Mod B>. I insert it into the Map Device and select the "Randomize Layout" feature. Accept and the portals that open are to <random layout - Graveyard for example> which is a lv78 area (since the input map was lv78) with <Mod A & Mod B> (since those were the rolled mods).

Map Selection Idea: Instead of it being completely random, what if you could select your favorite low level map layout by inserting 3 maps of the layout you want to play with your 1 rolled map? Same as the example above except you insert the map with 3 Mountain Ledge maps and the random feature automatically picks Mountain Ledge. The quality/mods on the inserted maps would have no effect on the roll of the "Base map" for balancing purposes.

What this does for the community: For starters this would offer us seeking the ever distant dream of level 100 a way to get there that doesn't involve running 1,000 Palace/Courtyard maps. A significant portion of this game is a grind and grinding feels so much better when you can do it in an abundance of areas with different art-work. Like taking a back road to a friends house instead of the highway - even though it may take longer - because you want a change of scenery. A second thing this could do is provide a much needed chaos sink that people would actually use. The changes to rolling maps (no more hunting maze/size) chaos have only really been used for spamming on items for decent rolls...which was just rendered ineffective by the master crafting system. Some sort of new sink is necessary to maintain economic balance...although this is not what this post is about and merely something I wanted to add.

In closing: High five to GGG as always. Top notch in all aspects (game/communication/service/everything). I, for one, will continue to support for as long as you guys can make this train run.

~Taco
EVERYTHING IS BETTER WHEN IT'S TACO-FLAVORED!
Last edited by mrtannerwold on Oct 2, 2014, 11:24:21 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1
I like the idea. It could be Zana's parallel to a meta mod, given at level 8. I'd support it on two conditions.

1: It's an option in the map device (meaning you'd have to select it INSTEAD of your 8 quantity).
2: It opens the map directly (rather than changing the item) and you're stuck with whatever you roll.

Both of those seem to be in your post, but I just want to make it clear that I feel these are necessary to make this work.

Also, I'd suggest chisels as the currency requirement.
Aura Reservation Calculator: https://poe.mikelat.com/
Chromatic Calculator: http://siveran.github.io/calc.html
Tired of using GGG's crappy skill planner? Tell them here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1555283
"
MosesXIII wrote:
I like the idea. It could be Zana's parallel to a meta mod, given at level 8. I'd support it on two conditions.

1: It's an option in the map device (meaning you'd have to select it INSTEAD of your 8 quantity).
2: It opens the map directly (rather than changing the item) and you're stuck with whatever you roll.

Both of those seem to be in your post, but I just want to make it clear that I feel these are necessary to make this work.

Also, I'd suggest chisels as the currency requirement.

Yes - you select this as a mod and it opens the map directly. I don't think it would be reasonable to use the map machine to alter maps, not to mention the work that would take. I suggested chaos as the cost mostly due to the need for a chaos sink but GGG can do what they wish as long as the cost is reasonable. The idea here is to create more fun and not more benefit and I think high cost should remain a prerequisite for high benefit.
What if you entered 2 maps and an orb of transmutation to get the higher level map as the lower level zone? This could be a standard recipe despite Zana.

For Zana I'd add to her crafting:

Random Enriched Zone - 5c
- Randomizes the zone of your map (retaining current map mods)
- Add 100% item quality
- 50% Reduced Quantity of non-currency drops

Also, what if you could select multiple mods from Zana?
"
What if you entered 2 maps and an orb of transmutation to get the higher level map as the lower level zone? This could be a standard recipe despite Zana.

For Zana I'd add to her crafting:

Random Enriched Zone - 5c
- Randomizes the zone of your map (retaining current map mods)
- Add 100% item quality
- 50% Reduced Quantity of non-currency drops

Also, what if you could select multiple mods from Zana?

While this may/may not be a good idea the goal here is altering the feel of mapping and not the balance of mapping (ex: altering quantity). GGG can do what they will with progression although I feel it is fine overall.
Bump for further discussion

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info