Suggestion: Gem Progression

Hi! My name is Kingemperor and I LOVE Path of Exile for many reasons, one being the awesome and variable progression system in the game. Even when I started playing in the beta, there were so many awesome different builds to play around with on the (at the time) five different classes. All of the different passive skill options as well as a variety of support gems and different build-defining uniques and rares allowed each player to customize a unique build.
However, I have always noticed the annoyingly linear progression system for each of the skill and support gems in POE. For example, when an Arc gem levels up, it gains a flat damage boost and every five or so levels gains the ability to chain to an additional target. By the time a gem reaches level 20, it is no different from any other gem of that type. Every 20/20 Arc gem is the same. I find that linear system to be incredibly boring and out of place in POE, since the game promotes massive variety in builds and allows players to make each character unique, down to how many projectiles an attack fires and whether or not it uses health instead of mana.
I propose that skill and support gems have their own progression system as they level up similar to increasing the rarity of an piece of gear, and allowing players to choose between two or three randomly generated new versions of the gem when they level it up. For example, instead of the arc gem getting an additional chain target at level 5, the player would be able to decide on one of three random prefixes to apply to the arc gem as a reward for it reaching level 5. One of those prefixes could be something like "Ice Wraith's", so if that were chosen the new item would read "Ice Wraith's Arc", and could give a chance to freeze or add additional cold damage. At level 10, the gem would get a suffix, like "of terror", which would give a chance to cause weaker enemies to flee. When a gem achieves a prefix, it would be upgraded to blue rarity like any other piece of equipment, and would be subject to currency items like orbs of alteration. At level 15, the gem can be further upgraded to yellow rarity, in which the player is again offered a choice of three random different versions of the gem with up to three affixes, like any other piece of equipment. One of which might offer an increased critical strike chance as well as life gained on kill and reduced mana cost, or another choice might be increased damage, chance to freeze, and faster casting. Finally, at level 20, the player will be offered a final choice of three re-rolled versions of his rare game or to leave the gem as it is. There could also be a chance that a unique version of the gem would be offered.
Of course to avoid these changes being overpowered the bonuses offered would be rather minor, but I think it would allow gems to be much more enjoyable to level up and it would add an immense number of new build options that wouldn't have been possible before.
Please feel free to tell me what you think by posting your comments and suggestions below.

Thanks for reading!
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info