Goddess Scorned Crit Ele Cleave with HoA prolif (1.3)

See page 3 for the update to tree for 1.3

pre 1.3
I am a big fan of Charan's Goddess series and wanted to make a end game viable build with it ever since Scorned was released. With the release of Forsaken Masters and Herald of Ash, I was finally able to come up with with a build that does crazy burn AOE damage and very decent single target damage.

The idea behind the build is simple, we deal as much damage as possible in a single swing, which is sufficient to destroy enemy with as much overkill as possible, and let HoA takes care of the mobs next to (or half of the screen) the unfortunate enemy which you just obliterated.

Word of warning: This isn't the most op build in PoE, has limited mods on maps it can run and probably not uber/HC viable, so you should probably look else where if you want to face roll everything. Also it's a build with soloing in mind, its effectiveness goes down as the more people there are in your party. 2-3 people its still very effective, but struggles with more people. It is still enough(just about) if you get a good crit on low life mob to burn the trash mobs around it, but its no fun. This is however, very fun and satisfying and just watching everything burn to death.

Screen shot of current stats

Aura only

With 3 power charges

3 charges and atziri's promise

Choices of Gems/skills

Our main attack is Cleave

my 6 links are
Cleave-Wed-Conc effect-increased Critical damage-Life Leech and added cold.

We need to scale our main damage to as high as possible, so I've gone for gems that have multiplicative scaling. Life Leech is important because it is very hard to get elemental leech. I have gone for the flat added elemental gems as the 6th link to give a bit more damage, which will get scaled by the gear and tree a lot. If you only have a 5L this is the gem I'd drop.

Don't level cleave because level increases phys damage and given that the phys converted to fire isn't a significant portion of our damage, its probably not worth the mana cost.

Quality on conc effect is important because of the reduced mana.

Aura setup
Reduced mana-Wrath-Anger
Hatred doesnt give us that much when compared with the 2 flat elemental auras, and is where the bulk of our damage is coming from (rather than the weapon herself).

Herald of Ash setup
Reduced mana-HoA-Ele prolif-increased AOE
This is the core of the build and the burn synergises with the unique property of Scorned very well. It is how one swing of the sword and half of the screen dies is achieved. With quality on AoE you can just about off screen melt mobs

Avoiding to bursts of phys damage
Cwdt-EC-IC-increased duration.
Pretty self explanatory here. Don't level up CwDT too much. Get a balance of how often you want this to proc, compared with the damage needed to proc it vs your current life pool.

Utility
On the sword herself, I ran whirling blade-flicker strike and PCoC. On the 4th socket in the aura setup, I ran Assasin's mark.

We don't need Pcoc on our main attack because assasin's mark generates power charges and I was able to maintain power charges going from pack to pack, and since its mana cost is quite high, linking it with reduced mana helps.

Whirling blade is used mainly as a movement skill and can be substituted with leap slam if one feels is better.

Flicker strike is awesome, it allows us to chase the mobs which are running away as they are burning (unlikely, because they will all died to burn pretty much straight away). It also serves the purpose of engaging a pack of mobs. Ideally, you would curse then flicker into the center of a pack of mobs, and ideally, you would shock him (from wrath) making it take 50% increased damage and reduces it's life, making the cleave overkill much more efficient and deadly.

Tree at lvl 90

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABLMFtQx9DXwOPA-rEH8UTRRxFr8XLxmKGjgajx2qJOEmlScLJ-0o-ioLMFQwcTKJNj026TwtPT4_m0GHQqNFfEZxS3hTNVVLVdZXyVfiWfNh4mKsZOdmnmwWbIxtbG-ecFJyqXcHd-V-vYCkgseDCYO2hxOHGYwLjDaQVZJ9l5eX_phvm7WcpJ2qn8uiAKeErKq0DLQ4tMW1SLc-uXzAGsLswzrE9saexq7KStQj2L3cI92o4YjjauUZ5c_qGOq67DjssPPq9tr3Mvjr-ej60vsJ-0X79fxL_go6Qg==

Shadow is best suited for this build, because the starting elemental damage and the nice crit nodes. Templar is also viable.

There are 4 goals which I was aiming for when coming up with the tree, which are:
- High crit
- High elemental/WeD
- Able to run the auras.
- Unweavering because this is a melee character and getting stunned is a bad idea.

Grabbing acro and phase acro is nice, since we have little armour and es, unweavering means we can't evade. Scorned is 2 handed so no block, this pretty much leaves dodge as the only mechanism left to mitigate damage. This is not required tho, you can put the points into more life/damage if the particular play style suits you.

Bandits points, I went for 3 skill points, but you can mix it with +40 hp and +1 to powercharge if you like.

However if you don't have acuity, you might want to make a slight detour (4 pts) and grab vaal pact instead to help deal with reflects, which I will come onto later.

For leveling, please head to http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041914 where I have my tree at end of each act.

Current Gear

Weapon - Goddess scorned, there is no substitute here. The very high crit makes crit scaling possible. and the faster burn is the icing on cake.

Chest - I went for Belly because the % of life from the forsaken master change. But one can go for Carcass, or lightning coil (best paired with abyssus for crazy amount of dps boost)

Boots - Look for life, resists, movement speed and bench craft WeD for a little damage boost. Alternatively, use windscream and go dual curse (ele weakness) for silly amount of ele damage boost.

Belt - WeD, Life, Resists. Doriani's is decent, but doesn't beat a decent rare belt.

Glove - Acuity if you can afford it, also helps to give us int which we don't get enough on the tree. Maligaro's is a good DPS substitute so is Shadow and dust in Rampage. Alternatively rare with life, resist, flat ele and accuracy.

Amulet - go for DPS here, so WED, crit multi, crit chance, flat ele, accuracy, life.

Rings - look for WED, life, resists, accuracy, flat ele. Also bench crafting crit should you wish

Helm - life, resists, accuracy and look to craft WeD.
Alternative 1: Abyssus if lightning coil and you can cap your resists
Alternative 2: Rime Gaze and put your HoA set up there. The conc effect makes the burn just insane in exchange of lose area coverage and other stats possible on helm. Would possibly swap out the flat elemental gem for BM if you feel mana is to low.

Pots- I run 2 seething life pots and 1 panicked. Atziri's promise and quick silver. quick silver can be substituted to whatever you fancy, eg diamond, mana, ruby.

Also look to have some max mana and mana regen on jewleries, as this can be a problem with the build since no mana leech. Or go BM and drop flat ele dmg gem on 6L. Attack speed isnt important at all, we just look to do one deadly swing which kills everything, not mulitple swings.

Play style and things to watch out for

Ideally, curse-flicker-swing and watch everything dies. Sometimes couple of cleave is needed.

Against bosses, ideally you'd use the burn from mobs to take a significant amount of health of the boss. Then employs a hit and run style, where you flicker in, cleave couple times, and get out, as mana is somewhat of the problem and you cannot sustain cleaving indefinitely (unless you are bm) check out boss fight in my Crematorium video.

More recently, I've taken out added cold and put in mana leech when doing bosses. This allows me to face tank and survive through crit leech.

For ele reflect mobs, play a bit smart if you dont have acuity/ vaal pact. whirling blade and flicker strike to pick off the rare and with good usage of flasks.

This build dont do regen and bm.

Personally I avoid ele weakness, min max res, half regen and ele reflect maps. you can do them but you need to concentrate alot and slows down clear speed. I pretty much just alt my maps for pack size/magic and rare anyways and is enough to sustain up to 75/76

Boxes are much safer if you do them correctly, ie lure mobs next to box, kill them and open the box and watch everything burns to death. Similarly fracture is a joke too. Either try it out yourself or watch the video for giggles.

Video highlights

Apex of Sacrifice
http://youtu.be/bNTWAYJhtY0

Precinct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0-KsTjEZAc

Academy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufjuVoOA6I

Crema with Zana nerco (sea witches and fracture yay!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5O-dEUJeJU

Dark forest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MPPxwNiL4c

gorge speed run
http://youtu.be/Hd9AaTLABhM

Finally I'd like to thank Charan for amazing sword. I do not know what or how unleashed will impact this build, but seeing a melee build using lvl 28 weapon wrecking end game contents is tons of fun and gives me a lot of satisfaction. Please let me know where I could improve my build and happy to discus.

Green_honey_boo_boo is my favourite south park character!

My Goddess Scorned crit ele cleave build @ 1076445
Last edited by turtleken on Dec 30, 2014, 7:45:49 PM
Spoiler
change log

- dropped the idea of going added lightning, and sticking with added cold, mainly because in group play, you want to replace added cold with mana leech, so you are not out of mana. Same goes for some boss fights, as constant attacking is leeching which is main defensive mechanism of this build

- updated belt

Last edited by turtleken on Oct 16, 2014, 10:10:36 PM
How about element hit instead cleaver ? And use alpha howl + BM to run 1 puri gem more - i like lightning coil and puri of lightning :)
Last edited by dontkissmyass on Oct 2, 2014, 6:24:16 AM
"
dontkissmyass wrote:
How about element hit instead cleaver ? And use alpha howl + BM to run 1 puri gem more - i like lightning coil and puri of lightning :)

I have a level 21 ele hit and tried it with this set up. I liked cleave more because
- with 6L cleave gives a bit more damage, from the conc effect scaling of the auras, and
- cleave has a small aoe which makes targeting easier.

As for Alphas and Lightning coil, sure you can try it. Main thing stopping me is because I need to get 3 offs minimal on Alphas, and dont have the chroms to try it out :(

charan never wanted this sword to wreck engame.Nerf incoming?
"
qwertazx wrote:
charan never wanted this sword to wreck engame.Nerf incoming?

I dont know what charan wants out of this sword. If its fun and unusual build then this does it!

ming's heart drops in the gorge speed run and you flinch but dont pick it up? dufuq? I really like the build though. Nicely done!
Make Things For Smile!
Last edited by AdzPoE on Oct 7, 2014, 7:24:18 AM

no worries buddy, I picked it up after.

Currently saving some currency so I can try to experiment with slightly different gem setup!

This is what I was thinking of doing
http://poeurl.com/y3ahEGF
This is a lvl 91 build. This takes Oak, passive, Alira.

Using Abyssus to scale up the damage more with the flat damage and the multiplier along with a fire doryani's for the leech. With then adding in a romira's for power charges, and a mali's for crit chance and multiplier. This gives a crit chance of 69.7 without charges and 90.2 with. Of course if I ever get a 6l that 6th link will be pcoc for the increased crit chance it gives.

My links were going to be heavy strike-mpd-wed-increased critical damage-ele prolif.
Of course if I can ever afford a 6l Lightning Coil, I am not sure what I would as a 6th link.
My whole idea was to hit one monster once for massive damage, and igniting them. That ignite will then spread to everything and it will die.I am debating though switching out ele prolif for melee splash, but still contemplating.

I was going to do blood magic as the only aura I want/need is HoA for more fire damage.

Okay have numbers. If I did the math right, I have an average crit hit of 28030. This gives a burn of 42793 a second. This is of course with the gear I have/is cheap. This is a non legacy mali's, non quality increased crit damage, and min multiplier abyssus. Adding those with say a 45% mali's, jumps the damage up to 34776 for crit hit, and 53091 for burn a second.

Edit:
Made better build. http://poeurl.com/y3aS1gP
this is a lvl 90 build taking oak, oak, alira
Last edited by Darksparkru2 on Oct 17, 2014, 11:41:18 PM
Hi Darksparkru2

I think going abyssus and lightning coil is great, you do some serious damage with that combo.

Few points worth to consider:
How are you going to deal with stun, I think going acro and phase acro is great, but I have not much experience with abyssus and LC, but the phys damage roughly cancels each other out. I think your life pool will be on the low side, given 136% inc life on tree, no life on belt and helm and glove. evasion isnt the answer for you because you dont run grace or have a es helm and shield. Something to think about. Similarly with ele reflect, your damage will be high that reflect might legit kill you.

6th link, if you can get it, my guess is added fire, because this gets buffed both form physical nodes from tree, and mpd and wed. Alternative is increase AoE to make the prolif that much better. Fire pen will also be a good choice. Personally I dislike pcoc because it encourages lazy play. Ass mark is more than enough to sustain powercharges.

you also need to decide for yourself is going HoA worth it for you in terms of damage gain and life reserved. Overkill for hoa and ele prolif on heavy strike will compete with each other. I get around this problem by actually having the prolif/aoe on HoA, and with my 6link concentrate on single target.

You seem to be lacking a bit of accuracy as well on tree, hopefully you got that covered on your jewelry, just because crit double checks against your accuracy and this isnt show on the tool tip dps.

Overall, I think you are gonna to have tons of fun burning the living hell out of everything, but be prepared to die quite a few times, I guess since you are softcore, thats ok for you.

Last edited by turtleken on Oct 18, 2014, 3:55:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info