Selfishness gem?

Should their be an opposite of generosity for solo players?

Boost aura effects, nullify area, add mana multiplier for balance (aside from also taking up a support slot).
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
It could be really cool...

The downside is that the herald buffs might fill this role anyway...

But imagine:

Selfishness
Supported auras have 80-90% more effect
Supported auras have 110-100% more mana reservation
Supported auras only affect yourself

(ranges to represent gem leveling)

Now you can have a crazy hatred, but good luck running much else... and that 120% reservation will need to be reduced obviously to even run this single aura (but just a lvl 20 recduced mana .71 multiplier would put you at 84% reserved, before any additional mana reservation reductions.)

Ignoring Heralds, This would create the ability to have a powerful Anger, or a Powerful Wrath, as opposed to having to run both, in an ele buzzsaw build or similar.
Last edited by DragonsProphecy on Oct 1, 2014, 4:39:05 PM
I get the feeling that this misses the point of auras, which are group buffs. If it only buffs your character, then it's not a group buff anymore.
Also, this promotes playing selfish builds that are self-sufficient and won't strategize with their teammates.

I want the game to be realistically playable solo, but I also want it to promote intelligent team-play, like groups that contain a support-only character.
"
I get the feeling that this misses the point of auras, which are group buffs. If it only buffs your character, then it's not a group buff anymore.
Also, this promotes playing selfish builds that are self-sufficient and won't strategize with their teammates.

I want the game to be realistically playable solo, but I also want it to promote intelligent team-play, like groups that contain a support-only character.

The thing is, there is no teamwork in Path of Exile. If you have to work with a team, your build isn't even viable in softcore.

MMOs are about party play, but ARPGs are more about solo play. It's near impossible to balance them around PvP and party play. If you played D2, you'd know that a Sorceress could easily four shot anyone. Just pump Static Field with a few points and then use Frozen Orb. GG.

There are two types of broken systems: mechanical and numerical. A mechanical break is a max block/acro build avoiding all but 15% of an enemy's attacks, while the same guy hits the high armor target all the time. Damage avoidance > damage mitigation.
"
Natharias wrote:
MMOs are about party play, but ARPGs are more about solo play. It's near impossible to balance them around PvP and party play. If you played D2, you'd know that a Sorceress could easily four shot anyone. Just pump Static Field with a few points and then use Frozen Orb. GG.

Having played D2 and its stupid monster immunity system and its insane experience requirements for high levels, I can't agree with you. Top players don't go solo, they go in teams and do the top stuff much more easily, while solo players have a really hard time getting through some parts of the game.

Many players on these forums seem to think that Diablo 2 was the best ARPG ever. I personally believe that it was flawed to its core with many mechanics that were there to make it better for hardcore players in teams/guilds but broke the game for casual solo players and made numerous attractive builds non-viable.

After that digression, let's get back to the point I was trying to make. The way auras are made, I feel that they have been specifically designed for group play, while deterring their use for solo play. Why do I have this feeling? Because auras could have simply been limited at 1 per player, with more reasonable mana reservation (and eventually a keystone to have an additional one), rather than having a very high mana reservation that makes the trade-off not very viable for a single character.
"
Having played D2 and its stupid monster immunity system and its insane experience requirements for high levels, I can't agree with you. Top players don't go solo, they go in teams and do the top stuff much more easily, while solo players have a really hard time getting through some parts of the game.

I should've clarified, I meant before the game was changed. Static Field would remove 25% of a player's life, and after updates it wasn't viable.

Also, players didn't go in groups because of immunities and such. They went in because the party system was more refined. It's been a while, but I believe you still got full experience, if not more, so long as you were within two screens. In PoE, you get much less of the same amount of experience. The only advantage of party play is that it is faster and other players can carry you.

Diablo 2 was a cakewalk compared to Path of Exile in just about every aspect. This is especially true for Necromancers, Paladins, Barbarians, and Amazons. If I had to guess, I'd say the Amazon had the easiest time due to things like Evade and Dodge being skills a single skill point can make a huge difference in. PoE has nothing like what we had in Diablo 2 except for Acrobatics.

"
Many players on these forums seem to think that Diablo 2 was the best ARPG ever. I personally believe that it was flawed to its core with many mechanics that were there to make it better for hardcore players in teams/guilds but broke the game for casual solo players and made numerous attractive builds non-viable.

Diablo 2 was the best. I'd love to hear what you think was the best ARPG, but the only other options were either low-knowledge games or things like Torchlight, which came much later. It's also a topic for a different thread.

"
After that digression, let's get back to the point I was trying to make. The way auras are made, I feel that they have been specifically designed for group play, while deterring their use for solo play. Why do I have this feeling? Because auras could have simply been limited at 1 per player, with more reasonable mana reservation (and eventually a keystone to have an additional one), rather than having a very high mana reservation that makes the trade-off not very viable for a single character.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info