Making use of Last Resort [help with build required]

Hi guys and girls,
!Note! i don't know how to link images of my current items into this thread, advice will be thanked
!Note! #2 untill i have tested it i can't reccomend this for HC

So this thought has bothered me for some months now and i wanted to share this with you.

My plan was doing some cool stuff with the Last Resort, Nailed Fist unique, that many of you will know. It's just some ordinary low lvl unqiue, that my find some use until killing Merveil, but i wanted to get it worked, so i made research and stopped it, since i would never be able to afford a shav. But hen came Solaris Lorica and i continued to work on this build and i came up with this.

I planned it out to be a pure phys dual wield, low life claw character.
In terms of weapons i planned on using [Main Hand] Bloodseeker [Off-hand] Last Resort
Bloodseeker for that Survivability and Last Resort to push the rather weak offensive of Bloodseeker.
In terms of armour, the unique chestpiece Solaris Lorica, which enables this low life build.
For gloves, boots and helmet pure ES ones, with as much ES and resistances possible. Boots don't neccesarily require Movement speed, but attack speed on the gloves is always welcomed.

Accessories would be Lori's Lantern to get more boni out of the low life factor. The other ring, amulet and belt would be providers of resitances and if possible ES. Flask mods concerning charges gained and duration on the belt are nice too.

Skillwise:
Main Skill: [Chest] 5L
Double St. + Melee Splash + Melee phys. Dmg + Multistrike + inc. AoE (for trash)
__________________________________________________________or Conc. Eff. (not-trash)

6L:
Double St. + Melee Splash + Melee phys. Dmg + Multitrike + Inc. AoE + [Give me some ideas]
_________________________________________________________or Conc. Eff.

Movement Skill: [Off-hand]
Whirling blades + faster Attacks [ + Multistrike] <-- not quite sure about the last one

Low-life Aura: [Main Hand]
Grace + Red. Mana + Blood Magic or
Hatred

Auras: [Helmet]
Discipline + Determination + Red. Mana

Curse: [Boots]
Vulnerabilty + Inc. AoE + Faster Casting + Totem
or
Poacher's Mark (Flask Charges) \
or with these you should be able to drop mind Drinker
Warlord's Mark (Endurance Charges and leech) /
or
Enfeeble (less damage)

Blood Rage: [Gloves]
Blood Rage + Reduced Duration + Faster Casting + [Enhance] <-- if i can get that
(i don't want to suffer from C. Damage if i don't have to)

Flasks:
1x Granite: Perpetual .. of Iron Skin
2x Jade: Perpetual .. of Reflexes/ Iron Skin and Perpetual .. of Steadiness
1x Amethyst: Perpetual .. of Heat
1x any Hybrid Flask: Perpetual .. of Staunching

Alternativley the granite may be switched for Rumi's Concoction and the Amethyst for an Atziri's promise

Bandit rewards:
Normal: Skill point
Cruel: Oak
Merciless: Kraityn or Oak (this only if you plan on using Warlord's Mark)

Gear: [Socket Colour and Number is not fitting right now] [If possible these items will be further crafted, if Haku reaches level 7]
1x Bloodseeker
1x Last Resort (corrupted to offer DW-Block or weapon range)
1x ES-Helmet

1x ES-Gloves

1x ES-Boots

1x Ring (whatever fills defensive gaps)

1x Lori's Lantern
1x Amulet (also fill defensive gaps)

1x Chain/Cloth or Heavy Belt or Doryani's Invitation, phys

Passive Tree:
I started with the Witch, simply because the ES seemed more attractive, currently it looks like this:
Spoiler

Why i chose certain things:
ES nodes: i have freakin low base ES, due to no shavs (Donations will be thankfully accepted)

Inner Force: Gives huge boni to Auras, Blood Rage and Flasks

DW-Block: Adds another layer of defensiveness

Ghost Reaver: Build enabling

Frenzy charges: speeds up the character and provides a huge bonus to armour due to 4% inc. evasion rating per frenzy charge And IR

IR: Defensiveness against physical damage, mainly chosen because of physical spells, due to lack of spell block or spell dodge.

Inc AoE: Melee splash adds an AoE Modifier to Double Strike, which gets amplified by these nodes.

Mind Drinker: Idk if it is still needed, considering Soul Raker, i will def. test this.

Any constructive answer/help/kicking my ass because i made a huge mistake will be highly appreciated!
Last edited by Vidris on Sep 30, 2014, 11:45:22 PM
/bump
Using Solaris Lorica without a shield means that you will have rather low ES even with all the ES nodes you are taking. You will hardly get over 3.5k ES total which is a bit low for endgame considering that you need about 20-30% more ES than life to get comparable survivability.
Besides that, your build includes neither a lot of damage, attack speed nor any crit nodes so your damage output will still be low even with using Last Resort in your offhand. Another thing is that the EVA bonus from all your dex does not count when using Iron Reflexes so you won't have much armor either which makes you susceptible to stun and lowers your survivability because it cuts into your ability to leech.
Therefore, i would suggest going eva/ES instead and get Ondar's Guile and drop some block for more evasion, damage, a ton of extra attack speed and some more reduced mana reservation. This way your build will be usuable sooner because the respective nodes are closer and therefore easier to get without spending 20+ levels just to get to the Duelist area. The finished build could look similar to this.
The extra reduced mana reservation means that you can run for example Hatred (+36% more damage compared to a pure phys build when maxed) on life, Discipline + Grace + HoA on mana. This build would make you less vulnerable to stuns, make you almost immune to projectile attacks and give you about 200% the damage output of your original build at the cost of a little bit less ES and some block chance. However, the issue with the relatively low ES still remains so i am not sure whether this would be hardcore viable.

Some general information on how to make certain things appear in posts in the following spoiler:
Spoiler

1. how to make links clickable and format their appearance:
The POE forum, as well as most, uses the BBCode which means that you have a lot more options to edit the appearance of your post than just the ones included in the text editor of the website. If you want to make a link clickable and display as a few words, you can simply type the BBCode basic [url=*link*]*what others see*[/url]. Simply copy/paste your build link instead of *link* and change *what others see* to whatever you want the link to be displayed as in the post.

2. how to link items in posts:
When you log into the forum you will notice your last played char being displayed on the upper left corner next to the POE sign. If you click on the name or portrait it will open an overlay where you can look into all your characters inventories, stashes and passive trees. Simply select the char you want to link stuff from and click on the item. If you have a post open for editing it will then copy the item to be displayed in said post. Close the overlay by pressing ESCAPE to continue editing your post afterwards. It will appear in BBCode like for example: [linkItem location="Gloves" character="Vargn" x="0" y="0"]
which turns into

when you submit or preview the post.

11.02.2013 - 11.02.2017: four year PoE anniversary!
First of all, thanks for the fast reply and those handy hints considering how to improve my editorial.

In terms of attack speed i think that this build is rather fast (maybe too fast) by using the 25% bonus from Last Resort around 36% from low life bonus of Blood Rage (ca. lvl 17, no quality) ( not considering the buff from Inner force) 31% attack speed from various nodes and multistrike i should achieve more than enough. Also i don't want to spec too much into attack speed because of this 2 reasons: Low mana investment
Ok, it seems, like it had deleted the bottom 3/4ths of it...

so again:

Low Mana investment
my major form of mana regen will be mana leech (4%) but mana leech has a cap of 10% regenerated per second, so a skill that depletes more than 10% factoring in the native mana regen is counterproductive.

higher tooltip dps but lower damage output
Attack speed is better suited for elemental builds, since a lower phys damage means higher mitigation by monsters, which results in a lower damage. Thus i want to try to actually invest more int damage and only passively to attack speed.

Iron Reflexes (and Duelist starting area):
i wanted to grab this part of the tree for 2-3 reasons.
1st is Iron reflexes. This is tied to my low ES pool (untill i get a shavs :P) Bone Stalkers in more damage maps would simply wreck me 1 or 2 hit, which is rather scary and totally not hc viable. the downside is, that my only source of evasion will be Grace (and the boost from 4% evasion per frenzy charge) sometimes a jade flask, but that's it. What outweighs the downside are physical spells, which would obliterate this character since she doesn't have any form of spell dodge or spell block.
2nd and 3rd Blade Barrier and Dervish together these clusters provide 20% block chance, which is sick.

Heart of Oak:
i will grab that. I wasn't quite sure if i want it, because life and life regen is pretty useless, but the stun avoidance outweighs it totally, also primal spirit nearby, providing extra mana and strength, very useful.

Herald, Aura, Inner Force:
I will not use Herald of Ash, nor ice, since both seem ill suited for this build. HoA would only provide a 15% fire damage boost, since i won't be able to accumulate many alpha damage to make use of the overkill bonus. HoI as a 2nd choice? since i don't have any crit investment, nah, better not.
Since i won't need HoA i need less mana reserve nodes, thus reducing them to the influence cluster is sufficient enough in my oppinion.
Actually i really wonder, why you wouldn't pic inner force. I provides a large bonus to my 3 Auras (better than Influence), a large bonus to Blood Rage (both attack speed And the leech, and unfortunately also the chaos degen) and a bonus to my flasks, since i only use buff flasks.
Which auras to use (Grace - Discipline - Hatred) or (Grace - Discipline - Determination) is defenitely debateable and i will have to figure that out.

Low ES pool (around 4k ish):
That's why i would grab IR and that much DW-Block. Also Lori's Lantern offers a very big bonus, as i am constantly on low life.

Claws of the Magpie:
I already mentioned my concerns towards the attack speed, but the charge steal seems rather tempting. I will give it a shot, and since i am not completely antisocial i will even grab Conduit to squeeze the max use out of it. :)

Blood Drinker Cluster:
seems kinda useless, since life is rather unimportant considering the low life theme of this character and i would still sit at 22,6% life leech without it

Thanks again for your suggestions

i will update my original post to contain the lacking informations.
Ok, it seems, like it had deleted the bottom 3/4ths of it...

so again:

Low Mana investment
my major form of mana regen will be mana leech (4%) but mana leech has a cap of 10% regenerated per second, so a skill that depletes more than 10% factoring in the native mana regen is counterproductive.

higher tooltip dps but lower damage output
Attack speed is better suited for elemental builds, since a lower phys damage means higher mitigation by monsters, which results in a lower damage. Thus i want to try to actually invest more int damage and only passively to attack speed.

Iron Reflexes (and Duelist starting area):
i wanted to grab this part of the tree for 2-3 reasons.
1st is Iron reflexes. This is tied to my low ES pool (untill i get a shavs :P) Bone Stalkers in more damage maps would simply wreck me 1 or 2 hit, which is rather scary and totally not hc viable. the downside is, that my only source of evasion will be Grace (and the boost from 4% evasion per frenzy charge) sometimes a jade flask, but that's it. What outweighs the downside are physical spells, which would obliterate this character since she doesn't have any form of spell dodge or spell block.
2nd and 3rd Blade Barrier and Dervish together these clusters provide 20% block chance, which is sick.

Heart of Oak:
i will grab that. I wasn't quite sure if i want it, because life and life regen is pretty useless, but the stun avoidance outweighs it totally, also primal spirit nearby, providing extra mana and strength, very useful.

Herald, Aura, Inner Force:
I will not use Herald of Ash, nor ice, since both seem ill suited for this build. HoA would only provide a 15% fire damage boost, since i won't be able to accumulate many alpha damage to make use of the overkill bonus. HoI as a 2nd choice? since i don't have any crit investment, nah, better not.
Since i won't need HoA i need less mana reserve nodes, thus reducing them to the influence cluster is sufficient enough in my oppinion.
Actually i really wonder, why you wouldn't pic inner force. I provides a large bonus to my 3 Auras (better than Influence), a large bonus to Blood Rage (both attack speed And the leech, and unfortunately also the chaos degen) and a bonus to my flasks, since i only use buff flasks.
Which auras to use (Grace - Discipline - Hatred) or (Grace - Discipline - Determination) is defenitely debateable and i will have to figure that out.

Low ES pool (around 4k ish):
That's why i would grab IR and that much DW-Block. Also Lori's Lantern offers a very big bonus, as i am constantly on low life.

Claws of the Magpie:
I already mentioned my concerns towards the attack speed, but the charge steal seems rather tempting. I will give it a shot, and since i am not completely antisocial i will even grab Conduit to squeeze the max use out of it. :)

Blood Drinker Cluster:
seems kinda useless, since life is rather unimportant considering the low life theme of this character and i would still sit at 22,6% life leech without it

Thanks again for your suggestions

i will update my original post to contain the lacking informations.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info