So... I think I hit a wall.

What is the long term appeal here?

I've been grinding for days for currency to buy items that will enable me to grind better.

The same content, now in maps, recycled to grind again and again.

And unlike other games, it's impossible to just reset your tree and try out a different build when you get bored. You have to create a new character and go through the same content again and again.

The passive skill tree doesn't impress me, mainly due to the fact that it's the same for each character.

So I guess I'm saying: What's the point? It's not fun and it doesn't get any better as you level. I'll come back in another two years to see if anything has changed, but I think it's worthy of a discussion.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Wait till it hits you that all your time is spent saving up currency to TRADE for those items you so desire.
Cuz they don't drop.
If you don't like the repetitive game play, the genre may not be for you. But the weighted itemization, extremely low drop rates on uniques ( and when one does drop, it's junk) and over emphasis on trading is what kills it for me.
The point is to have fun. If you don't have fun, there is no point.

PoE is a bit of a dungeon crawler. You grind, get loot, grind more, get XP, grind more, level up, grind more. Outside of "having fun", you set your own goals. For some people, that's level 100. For others, it is collecting all achievements. Some go for finding all uniques. Others strive for as much wealth as they can get by playing the trading game. You could also aim for the challenges. Or play self-found and make do with what drops. Masters at level 8 could be a goal, too. Perhaps trying to just beat the game with underpowered skills? Lots of things.

As for myself, my goals are currently to get to level 90 in softcore, then repeat the same in HC. Both solo, with no or very minimal trading. For me, the longevity of the game is closely related to not trading (or as little as feasible). Since I don't usually play more than just a few hours a day on average, that takes time. After that, I'll aim at completing the achievements.

There will also soon be a new race session where I'll try to beat my own score from previous seasons.

Basically, in PoE you set your own goals, just like you did in Diablo 2.
There is no long term appeal unless you are a hardcore player grinding the same boring content over and over again for 8-12 hours a day. Most players will never find real 'end game" gear and currency. It's all just an illusion.
And if you we're to find top tier gear, then what? Play the same maps over and over again, for what purpose?

And this Forsaken Masters expansion did nothing more than to add a few mid game mods for your gear, because 1) best mods are at level 8 which most people won't reach for ages or never, and 2) those top tier mods will cost a fortune.

1 Divine orb for a mod? What?! I don't even know what that looks like.
2 Exalted Orbs for a mod? Yeah, I've seen 1 of those with two characters both at level 85-ish.
6 chaos is the cheapest map mod? LMAO. And it did NOTHING!
Drops are not better at 120% item quantity than they are at 30%.

It's bullshit! Fucking waste of time!

Last edited by leopard2lx on Sep 22, 2014, 10:14:46 PM
"
leopard2lx wrote:
There is no long term appeal unless you are a hardcore player grinding the same boring content over and over again for 8-12 hours a day. Most players will never find real 'end game" gear and currency. It's all just an illusion.
And if you we're to find top tier gear, then what? Play the same maps over and over again, for what purpose?

And this Forsaken Masters expansion did nothing more than to add a few mid game mods for your gear, because 1) best mods are at level 8 which most people won't reach for ages or never, and 2) those top tier mods will cost a fortune.

1 Divine orb for a mod? What?! I don't even know what that looks like.
2 Exalted Orbs for a mod? Yeah, I've seen 1 of those with two characters both at level 85-ish.
6 chaos is the cheapest map mod? LMAO. And it did NOTHING!
Drops are not better at 120% item quantity than they are at 30%.

You need a hug.

I can sell you a hug for 10c.
"just for try, for see and for know"
"
leopard2lx wrote:

Aren't all video games? Isn't life itself a waste of time, because no matter what you do, you die anyway and it's all pretty repetitive?

What do you expect out of games? If you need a pre-set goal, then just go for level 100. If that is not feasible (certainly isn't for me, I already find 90 to be a drag), then look at defeating Dominus in Merciless as the objective. Preferably solo and self-found, perhaps in HC. The latter will keep you busy for 60+ hours (in SC), which is already a lot more than most games offer. Or just play only normal, and you'll get 20 hours out of the game (if it's the first character). Still not bad in an era where 15-hour games cost $50.

Can I have your stuff?
Make a new character with a different skill tree

You say its the same for everyone. I say its different for every character I have.

Go look at them all, if you are building them the same you are doing something wrong.

A FP caster is different from an LA ranger is different from a phys split arrow is different from a trapper is different from a summoner is different from a dual totem build is different from a explosive arrow burn build
"
Sovard wrote:
What is the long term appeal here?

You've been registered for 3 years and this is your first comment? "What's the long term appeal?" I dunno, 3 years isn't long enough?
Play HC. Death means you get to play again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info