Damage Convertion

Couldn't quite understand the wiki or I might have missed it on there.

But if I have a spell, lets say it's a cold one, that's 100% converted into fire or lightning. Does the fire / lightning damage double dip of elemental or spell damage nodes in the tree?

My thought's were using Pyre together with a cold spell, just curious if it would work or not.
Last bumped on Oct 5, 2016, 7:01:51 PM
no it does not doubletip. basically it will treat increases to original dmg as if they were also increases for the new element.

on my phone so wont go to details, but i guess raics or ludviator or some1 else will come soon with details

edit:elemental and spell

edit2: nothing in the game doubletips(except fire/burn which actually isnt a doubletip and mods will be very keen to correct if you use that word)
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
Last edited by kaarelo on Sep 22, 2014, 3:26:47 PM
That's what I guessed, since if it actually double dipped, it would be kinda op and there would be more of that sort of action.

Well thanks alot though, another atempt to make ice nova OP destroyed ^^
the conversion is done before modifiers on base damage, and then the applicable modifiers are applied to the damage components, meaning all cold specific increases would be applied to the converted fire base.

Conceptually, all the things that make your unconverted cold damage stronger will make your converted fire damage stronger as well, though they are processed separately, using the concepts of factoring to take it from conceptual to algorithmic and eliminate double dipping.

hypothetical situation:

you have 50% increased spell damage, 20% increased elemental damage, 10% increased cold damage and 10% increased fire damage, 150% crit modifier.

You are wearing the pyre ring that has 30% increased burning damage

---

you cast ice nova and it does 100 base damage and crits:

---

100 base cold converted 100% to fire:

100 base fire damage

0 cold damage,

100 fire dmg * (1 + .5 + .2 + .1 + .1) * 1.5

100 * 1.9 * 1.5 = 285 fire damage

it crit so you ignite a target:

burn damage = 285 * (1 + .2 + .1 + .3)

285 * 1.6 = 456 base burn,
assuming no increased duration modifiers -> (456 * 1.33) / 4 = ~150 burn damage a second for 4 seconds

at least on my napkin, thats how it worked out edit: realized that my total burn damage should include the 4/3's of fire damage calculation, but it is accounted for in the burn per second.

the thing that stops pyre from being over the top is that it crumbles ignited monsters if you hit them and kill them, meaning they stop proliferating the filthy burns.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Sep 22, 2014, 4:57:44 PM
"
LostForm wrote:

Are you sure about this?
Having cold damage would increase your initial hit which your burn is based on, but i don't think it would double dip the burn damage, like elemental and fire does.
"
brum wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:

Are you sure about this?
Having cold damage would increase your initial hit which your burn is based on, but i don't think it would double dip the burn damage, like elemental and fire does.

Are you sure you read his equation right? To me, it doesn't look like he's adding in cold damage. His hypothetical included both 10% increased fire and 10% increased cold; this equation only has one .1 in it, which I presume is the increased fire, and not the increased cold.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info