Crit Glacial Hammer DW - Theorycrafting

Hi everyone. I wanted to make a HC viable Glacial Hammer build. The buffs to one handed and DW nodes in 1.2 inspired me to try and make DW work. This build relies on DW a high phys sceptre (for the high base crit) and a Ungil's in the offhand for the block and crit bonuses.
Example Gear

Build Highlights
164% life
Iron Reflexes
37 additional block chance (need +3 more to cap)
517% crit chance + 90% (ungil's) -> ~48-63 chance to crit with a sceptre
85% crit multi (not sure about reflect)

Gems
6L: Glacial Hammer (R) - Melee Phys (R) - Melee Splash (R) - Ele Prolif (B) - Crit Damage (B) - WED (R)/LL (R)/BM (R)
4L - CwDT - EC - IC - Inc Duration
3L - Leap Slam/Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Pcoc/BM/Endurance Charge on Melee Stun
3L - Frostbite/Ele Weakness - Faster Casting - BM/Enhance
4L - Hatred/Grace - Herald of Ice - Purity of Ice - Red Mana
Extra: Vaal Haste + Increased Duration
Here I try to get high top end hits for max freeze time ala permastun builds. I opt not to use multistrike since I aim to freeze from critting rather than with the inherit chance to freeze on GH.

Thoughts/Concerns
-Low Int, which is needed for your main hand, cursing, leveling auras, and a few supports.
-Mana cost: I path by mana flows and revelry in case mana leech on gear isn't sufficient.
-DPS: Not entirely sure how strong this build will be but I did take a lot more DPS nodes than a standard HC melee build (thanks to max block).
-ES use: You will have some ES from gear such as Rainbowstrides that would go unused as melee. If permafreeze is possible, Melee Damage on Full Life may be an option.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this build (my first on here :D). Please post all criticism/comments/Questions/suggestions below.
Nemesis: Acrol_fourtwentyblazeit | MeatManPorkPounder
Domination: GetDumpsteredNerds
Beyond: DraxTheEmployer | IceAge_KillerOfDinos
Last edited by Acrol on Sep 18, 2014, 6:56:45 PM
Hi,

i did some experimenting with my own tree and equipment.

Merc Dominus pera-stun with glacial hammer video

109 point tree: This tree is unmodified from my own build.

Your build has potential. I hope this helps in creating a guide
So many strikes within one breath.
But only one strike needed, for certain death.
Last edited by fiqst on Sep 18, 2014, 8:27:33 PM
That build looks really cool! Have you tested multistrike vs without it for freezing? Though I'm sure it's a different matter with that crazy dps gear you have.
I'm gonna try a glacial hammer build. Already tested a bit and even without anywhere near that damage, it seems to work fine. 6L would be so nice (and soultaker :P ), but with 5l, I'm a little unsure what is the best setup. glacial + multistrike + splash + more melee/faster attacks + elemental prolif/increased crit damage?

hoping doryani's catalyst and invitation will be enough leech to stay alive
Hejren / Triceps / Regnbuen / Sarinti / Striglen / Mareridt / Spoegelset / Doktoren / Dobbelganger / Skjoldtrold / Forkynderen
Quick Update: I started this build as Scion instead of Duelist (only 1 point difference). Currently Level 80 and I can permafreeze anything in maps (have only done up to 77's) including many map bosses. My 5L is GH - Melee Phys - Crit Damage - Melee Splash - WED.
I found that multistrike is really bad if you want to just freeze things for a long duration with crit rather than the build in freeze chance of GH since multistrike rolls so all 3 attacks either hit or crit.

Current Gear

Current Stats
4349 HP

Last edited by Acrol on Sep 25, 2014, 3:58:57 PM
Hi,

I have a Glacial Hammer build. Your tree is very different from mine, but you might want to take a look at my build thread if you haven't already:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/921271
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info