[Updated 1.3] Not Another Flame Totem BM MF Marauder (28 IQ/322IR, high survivability, high dps)

Note: I've only updated the skill tree for 1.3 I'm still looking into potential new gear recommendations. Unfortunately I haven't had that much time on my hands.

Buffs and Nerf for Flame Totem build in patch 1.3:

BUFFS:
1. 25% more damage to burning enemies, with 10% chance to ignite and FT rate of fire, everything is burning.
2. Templar cast speed and spell damage nodes
3. 5% fire penetration from passive tree.
4. Soul of Steel - 4% additional phy damage reduction
5. Totems now affected by defensive auras, totems will now reach max 75% ele. resistances with purity of elements.
NERFS:
1. Armor from shield nodes gone.
2. Less shield nodes in general.

Things I like:
1. The sound of uniques dropping
2. Finding that the unique that dropped is worth more than a few chaos orbs.

Things I DON'T like:
1. needing a party to play
2. dying all the time
3. not being able to level above 75

As everyone knows it is pretty difficult to get high IQ and IR and not be as fragile as cheap toilet paper. I've spent a good amount of time designing and testing what I call the most balanced MF build with both enough survivability and damage without sacrificing too much IQ/IR.

The build looks something like this:

Pros & Cons:

Spoiler

PROS:
-high MF
-decent survivability (3k HP, 5k armor, max resistances, high block)
-very good damage

CONS:
-although works well with cheap gear optimizing can become expensive
-only 1 aura

Gear:

Spoiler

Required:

The first four items are your bread and butter MF, with 20% IR on both rings, ammy and helmet you can easily have 28/ >200IR to get you started. I take Stormsail in maps <70 and Lioneye's Remorse on higher maps.

For budget culling in groups use:

Expensive items:

You will need Hearbreaker when culling higher lvl maps so that you can use Lioneye's Remorse, you can alternatively have a separate 5L with the colors necessary to run a culling gem instead of Fire Pen as your dps is no longer needed.

The build is designed to hold with ~max resistances with double andvarius rings.

Gems:

Spoiler

Chest: Flame Totem, GMP (do not overlevel, the build is not dex based),fire pen, item rarity, faster casting and added chaos (if you get a 6L)

Other:

CoDT-Molten Shell-Enduring Cry- (or immortal call with increased duration)
Lightning Warp-Faster Casting-Reduced Duration (this set-up is slow moving
Reduced Mana-Purity of Elements
Faster Casting- Elemental Weakness - Flammability

Bandits & Leveling

Spoiler

Help Oak, Kill All, Kill All

It's hard to screw up the build when leveling with dual fire totems. Go for dual totems while picking up a bit of life on the way, you can get BM pretty early, the bulk of your DPS is in the witch side. I traveled there in cruel to the fire wheel but only went down on the witch later in maps (pun intended). Start grabbing life and some resistance nodes as you get to cruel act 2 and 3. I got shield nodes as I started wearing Lioneye's in 70+ maps and more resistance as I got my Andvarius. Do not hurry with dual curses, maybe take them last.
Last edited by Skelworath on Dec 19, 2014, 3:13:21 AM
"
Skelworath wrote:
(Work in progress)

wow, cool build, man :D
10/10 for simplicity.
I'm working on this build but have no idea what to get for the chest.
tabula rasa? mantle? es chest?
[2.0] 5L Uber Viable Incinerate (1.4m Burst): The Zippo: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211719
I don't really think the Blazon is that good in the build.

The passive tree goes out of its way to spec extra resistance to compensate for bad gear. By getting rid of the belt you are only sacrificing up to 8% IIQ for up to 30%+ in all resists and life on a belt slot.
"
Skyion wrote:
I'm working on this build but have no idea what to get for the chest.
tabula rasa? mantle? es chest?

I don't recommend a pure ES chest! Tabula Rasa is a good choice for damage if you can't get a 5L infernal mantle. Otherwise you can go for a good AR/ES 5L because it is easy to roll RRBBG - and it would be a good addition to your defenses (especially if you are using stormsail) .

"
ntall1 wrote:
I don't really think the Blazon is that good in the build.

The passive tree goes out of its way to spec extra resistance to compensate for bad gear. By getting rid of the belt you are only sacrificing up to 8% IIQ for up to 30%+ in all resists and life on a belt slot.

You are not wrong. The belt itself may not be crucial to the build. A fire doryani's could also be a good choice and there is a ton of other good options. I am keeping the belt for 2 reasons.

1. 30 to all attributes. My build is INT and DEX thirsty, mantle requires 180 int, and right now I have 206. I got 86 dex which is enough for a lvl 10 GMP (which may be the only DEX requirement). anyway there aren't may options for getting stats on gear ... with only helmet and necklace being non uniques.

2. 8 IIQ, may not feel like a lot ... but the way IIQ works multiplicative with IIR when you have 350 IIR it makes a decent enough difference.

Let's assume that each point of rarity is worth 1 pt per point of quantity.

Assume you have a natural 100 item drop rate.
With 350% IIR. You get 350 pts of rarity.
With 108 (100 + that extra 8 IIQ) you will get 378 pts of rarity.
An extra 28 pts of rarity.
In such 8 IIQ is equivalent to 28% (at 350 IIR) rarity or 16% rarity (at 200 IIR).
+8% increase in currency drops.
Last edited by Skelworath on Sep 20, 2014, 10:50:24 AM
i was wondering between the tradeoff with 5l mantles damage aganst 6l tabula with iq gem since the main purpose is to let party kill mobs and have flame totems cullingstrike with heartbreaker.
whats your thought on this?
[2.0] 5L Uber Viable Incinerate (1.4m Burst): The Zippo: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1211719
"
Skyion wrote:
i was wondering between the tradeoff with 5l mantles damage aganst 6l tabula with iq gem since the main purpose is to let party kill mobs and have flame totems cullingstrike with heartbreaker.
whats your thought on this?

If your main purpose is to stay in a party and cull in standard, I would use a 5L with health and armor.

Flame Totem - GMP - Faster Projectiles - Rarity - Quantity - Faster Casting (If u get a 6L)

And of course wear a heartbreaker.

If you're gonna be a culler in a party you won't be responsible for doing damage. But getting more survivability for 75+ maps may be a good idea. Even replacing that Perandus Blazon as mentioned earlier would not be a bad idea, especially if ur playing in standard an using a Quantity gem.

Currently lvl 81 with this build.
Enjoy it greatly, can do any bosses without even seeing who they are. Or in my case *provided* I dont see them :)
I run with heartbreaker and 5L Infernal mantle, perandus blazon and stormsail shield in 70-73 maps, with care when solo. Found impossible to do a spider boss - surrounded by an army of spiders and nowhere to escape.
Thx a lot for the build and everyone should try this one!
I'm a fan of MF builds, tried a summonner earlier and she died all the time. I seriously doubt there's another MF build with this much survivability and solo potential.
Hi!
will the 1.3 update be coming?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info