How exactly does Mortal Conviction work?

Suppose I have a 60% mana reservation aura, and I linked it to a reduced mana gem offering a mana multiplier of 75%. So that means this aura now reserves 45% instead (0.75 x 60).

Now, the Mortal Conviction node grants 60% less mana reserved. In taking this, will the new mana reservation be multiplicative or additive:

1. 60 x 0.75 x 0.4= 18%, or

2. 60 x (1-0.85)= 9%? (Since the reduced mana offsets 25%, and the MC node offsets another 60%, total 85%)

I'm thinking if it is the former, there's no point using MC anyway (for blood magic node builds). 18% for 1 aura alone from life, God forbid if you even think about 2 auras (36% is just too much to cut out from life).

Please advise, thanks!
Last edited by Hayrich on Sep 13, 2014, 2:21:51 PM
The point is, for MC to "function as intended", that is for blood magic users to handle the strain of aura costs, MC has to be additive rather than multiplicative. 18% life per aura reserved is no good, and that's considering the use of a reduced mana gem. After the life node nerfs since 1.2, this is an even bigger problem. Bumping MC from 40% to 60% isn't the answer really.

If anyone is using blood magic with the MC node, please share your insights with me.
Look around for those low life 11 aura builds that use mortal conviction.
"
Hayrich wrote:
The point is, for MC to "function as intended", that is for blood magic users to handle the strain of aura costs, MC has to be additive rather than multiplicative. 18% life per aura reserved is no good, and that's considering the use of a reduced mana gem. After the life node nerfs since 1.2, this is an even bigger problem. Bumping MC from 40% to 60% isn't the answer really.

If anyone is using blood magic with the MC node, please share your insights with me.

As it stands, it's pretty pointless for any Life-based character to use auras or MC. The problem is that it's just too easy to use Blood Magic gem and then get mana leech on rings and RT (which is just 4 nodes away from Blood Magic lol) to run your attack on mana. And you still get to run Grace/Hatred.
http://poe.mikelat.com/
Beyond league.
How exactly are you guys expecting its not going to get nerfed ?
I once planned a item reserving 66%life at the benefit of roughly 1discipline aura, and that shit was called to be overpowered.
How do you guys expect to maintain 11auras in patch1.3 ?

Spoiler
Oh right, you will whine on the forums long enough for introducing items that provide you with more resources to do so, and you will get it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Last edited by Lachdanan on Sep 14, 2014, 3:43:37 AM
I don't know stuff about running 11 auras or whatever low life Shavronne build, all I wanted to do was build a simple beefy marauder with blood magic auras. I believe GGG wanted this to be the intent as well with MC.

They need to go back to the drawing board and redo BM/MC. As of now I still think they should drastically improve MC to reserve no more than 20% life for 2 or 3 auras, or allow MC to continue mana reservation for auras so they aren't using blood magic.
Last edited by Hayrich on Sep 14, 2014, 5:05:57 AM
Mortal conviction:

60% less mana reserved
40% less energy shield
20% more maximum life

edit: (my opinion on how it should be)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Sep 14, 2014, 6:13:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type