Otariidae's 1.2 bootleg pubbie party oddball cullball curseball auramancer supplementator

At the start of the league, I decided I wanted to dabble in the direction of a support.

Upon working on this support, I realized that it was a build variation that may or may not have very good documentation. Although it is rather plain and probably quite a generic concept, it *sort of* appears to be worth putting down into documentation.

This is my first documentation for anything I've ever done ever. Please do forgive anything that irks you and please if you can, any input on improving this build would be nice!

Goals fulfilled by the build
In the process of mashing together this build I wanted to create a support build that would:

1. Cost an reasonably earn-able amount of currency to assemble and run.

2. Supplement a disorganized map party with random peers with a wide range of comforts that are uncommon and therefore improve their enjoyability of the game.

3. Improve the survivability of my random peers and therefore improve their enjoyability of the game.

4. Live against the erratic ebb and flow of a randomly assembled run of the mill party and my own loose and reckless playstyle.

Problems encountered in this build
The build is uncannily durable and rugged compared to other support builds but due to lack of specialization, the build will naturally be out-performed by any other specialized support builds. The build is:

1. Reliant on self-cast spells. Watch out for Blackguard lightning thorns and corrupting blood (instant 20 stacks!) and be sure to carry a topaz flask and a staunching flask.

2. Only capable of pulling a maximum of around 250 rarity before running out of possible methods to gain more rarity cheaply. This means truly a dedicated culler can surpass you easily.

3. Only capable of pulling Clarity with three 40% auras and one 60% aura. Heavily specialized aura bots with Generosity are capable of surpassing you easily.

4. Limited from gaining more curses due to Gold rings and Goldwyrm being present. This means anybody that heavily specializes in curses will surpass you.

5. Naturally incapable of doing anything alone due to the lack of any damage specialization.

Overall the build isn't great for organized party play if someone specializes in culling, curses, or auras. In organized play the importance of survivability is also reduced because your teammates are more predictable and you can act more accordingly. In public map parties you won't likely see anybody dedicated to culling, cursing, or auras. Even if you do, you likely won't see them again for a long time.

Gear used

All this gear was bought for around 3C each. Some costed even less. The Aurseize (5C) were dropped so I didn't even have to pay for them. Notice the amount of added dexterity on the gear. The Stormsail was the most expensive item, clocking at a mere 4C.

Thanks to this guy, I had IR crafted on to my rings and amulet for a simple 3 chaos fee on top of the 15 alchs used to craft. The chestpiece came pre-crafted with resistance.

Flasks used

STAUNCHING STAUNCHING STAUNCHING. STAUNCHING IS ALWAYS YOUR FRIEND. Seething hallowed flasks are excellent for emergency burst recovery because they have the best charge to HP ratio. Saturated divine life flasks are horrifying for sustained regeneration. Carry a heat flask just in case of freeze. You never know when it'll come in handy. Tuck a topaz flask along for those nasty ass lightning thorns on the Blackguards. I'm going to aim for heat on my second seething flask and warding on my topaz flask.

Life flasks are one of the reasons I simply cannot consider energy shield! They were powerful even before they were buffed and after the buff, they're totally ludicrous!

Passive tree and bandits
LVL81 SKILL TREE
NORMAL - ASSIST OAK - 40HP
CRUEL - KILL ALL - SKILL POINT
MERCILESS - KILL ALL - SKILL POINT

Current gem links

WEAPON - 3L - LEAP SLAM + PORTAL + ARCTIC ARMOUR
Leap slam in conjunction with haste and Brightbeak make for an extremely effective means of locomotion, enabling you to keep up with your party in a breeze. Arctic armour is an insane defensive skill. It allows negligence of mitigation and provides a chilling effect against any enemies that get too close for comfort. Make sure you level it only as much as your mana regeneration can sustain. It's possible to replace Portal with any other gem of your choosing. Like Rejuv totem or what have you.

SHIELD - 3L - HASTE + CLARITY + REDUCED MANA
Haste blends with parties very well. It helps both attack and spell based builds, speeds up the whole movement of your party. Clarity is used to allow a higher level of Arctic Armour.

HELMET - 4L - CODT + IMMORTAL CALL + INCREASED DURATION + ENDURING CRY
A common gem setup that people use if they really hate dying. It reacts against burst physical damage extremely well. Feel free to use anything else in this 4L if it suits your tastes.

GLOVES - 4L - PURITY OF FIRE + ICE + LIGHTNING + REDUCED MANA
Pubbies don't run purity of fire, ice, and lightning very often. Because of the maximum elemental resists nerf in the passive tree, the value having purities increased.

CHEST - 4L - BALL LIGHTNING + CURSE ON HIT + ENFEEBLE + TEMPORAL CHAINS
A gem setup inspired by AngryAfrican's cursed balls summoner. Ball lightning still has some advantages over arc as a vector for cursing. It goes beyond 7 targets in a single spellcast, re-applies curse if anybody overrides your curse, and allows you to spend more time culling. Enfeeble turns enemy attacks in to wet noodle slaps and temporal chains cuts those wet noodle slaps to a standstill. It also happens to extend debuff durations, such as blind.

BOOTS - 5L - BALL LIGHTNING + GMP + CULL + RARITY + BLIND
This setup creates a massive cone that strikes targets 5 times a second as long as you keep a sustained cast. We take further advantage of the frequent strikes with a blind gem. If you can obtain a 6L you could attach life gain on hit to nullify lightning thorns.
Pubbies don't run purity of fire, ice, and lightning very often. Clarity is necessary for an effective arctic armour. Because of the maximum elemental resists nerf in the passive tree, the value of a purities have increased.

The defensive collusion that results from the skills selected ensures a safer run for yourself and your allies. Blind snuffs attacks by a half, the curses push both attacks and spells to the floor while also extending blind's duration, and the triple purities damper elemental damage from enemy spells.

Previously used gear

Durability on a support..?

Yeah. Total weirdo. Deaths are extremely rare for me. Sometimes, I even act as pointman and I run in to soften the enemies up with a good dual curse and blind curtain. I was pushed to the edge of my limit on a LVL72 Zana mission where my whole group split apart without clearing any mobs to find lodestones within a time limit, leaving me for dead in a sea of enemies. In the end I pulled through it alive.
Last edited by Otariidae on Sep 11, 2014, 7:10:22 AM
Updated build details after refitting weapon slot items and preferred gem positions..

-General cost of build has been reduced by eliminating requirement of a second 5L.
-Effectiveness of auras and curses have been reduced by 18% due to removal of Dying Breath. Wheel of the Stormsail increases duration by 25% as a tradeoff though.
-Lack of mobility skill has been fixed with introduction of Brightbeak, Haste, and Leap Slam.
-Item rarity and quantity of build have been increased with introduction of Perandus Blazon and Wheel of the Stormsail.
-CODT has been attached to the build.
-Life of build has been reduced by 315 due to loss of leather belt. However, block chance was raised from 18% to 29%. This brought raw EHP against physical damage from 5.5k to 5.9k. CODT also improves the EHP further. Build still has 4.2k HP which is still an ample amount for a support.
Last edited by Otariidae on Sep 11, 2014, 7:05:23 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info