Need Alternative/Less-Intensive Discharge effect!

I believe Discharge's visual is one of if not the most visually intrusive spell graphics I've seen in this style of game. I always thought it was meant to convey a bomb going off, and it does that very well. However when used in a CoC setup or even continuous cast setup, the whole bomb effect is annoying visually and for gameplay (via screen lag).

Spoiler
Backstory: Got myself a Mjolner. After much trial and error, concluded that the cookie cutter Arc/Discharge/XX is best setup. Problem is, the game is so aesthetically unplayable with discharge I'm at the point of wanting to shelve the character till there is a fix (ignoring the problem that there is really only one 'viable' method for mjolner ST dps).

Suggested solutions*:
1) have a micro transaction for something akin to shock nova. I've used SN in Mjolner and it works well visually. It is not fps destroying, but also it fits thematically and it doesn't look ridiculous. This would be easy to do and I'm sure there'd be many out there who would happily purchase it.
2) improve shock nova. Discharge has tons more dps for what can easily be built as the same thing (PBAOE dps). If SN could be brought up to a point where its dps was viable (doesn't have to meet or exceed discharge), it would be an alternative for those not trying to extract every last drop of dps.

*note, these suggestions are aimed at not having to put up with Discharge's visual, which to some is an eye-sore, and an annoyance to a vast majority as this isn't the first post about Discharge's fps destroying abilities. Yes they could improve the engine to remove the visual lag, but that doesn't address the 'eye-sore' aspect. The other option is not use discharge, but that's the same as building a buzzsaw with a 1.0 AS weapon (I'm talking boss killers here).

If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the gifs/videos on this post http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/917173.

I really hope GGG have something in the pipeworks, as it is unsatisfying to finally get an a1 weapon, only to not want to use it because I have to either sacrifice fun by not socketing discharge's dps or sacrifice enjoyment from a laggy game and intrusive graphic.

NB: I am leveling up 3 spark gems in the hopes that their recent buff might put them up to being acceptable dps. I have a feeling it wont but I'm desperate to find an alternative. Arc, SN, SC and BL just do not come close to discharge for boss killing from what I've seen so far. SC is good, but without the supports a normal SC build uses it is lackluster.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I agree with him discharge is the most op build at this moment for me and i've been working very hard to get that but not i regret because my computer cant take it because it's freezing me in packs and i die . Discharge/arc/life leech build.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info