[1.2.x] Glacial Cascade PCoC ES/HP crit build

Hello everyone, I've been trying to make ES/HP builds work for quite a while, but never could get them to work. In 1.2, they added some interesting HP/ES nodes between the shadow and witch sides, so I decided to try it out again. I've always liked Glacial Cascade as a spell, so it was my choice this round.

Right now I'm level 83 and done a few 72-73 maps, and I'm still trying to push my build further to see if it can reach end game 77 maps. I have 3.6k HP and 4.1 ES at this time of posting, so I can take quite a bit of damage.

Pros and Cons

Pros
It's a very safe and tanky build
You will never die from monster reflect, both types
Most things get frozen
Versatile tree
You have ES to buffer and health to fall back to when things fall apart

Cons
You are incapable of handling double reflect maps (GC has both elemental and physical components)
Reflect maps of either kind still hurt your clearing speed, physical or elemental
Vagan is almost impossible to freeze or kill with this build
Handling reflect mobs requires some strategic positioning and use of pots

Play style

You will depend on your freezing and positioning quite a bit. The ES is there to serve as a buffer of sorts while you fight mobs. My experience so far is my ES will constantly be back up because of the freezing. Running into a squad and throwing cold snap, drop your spell totem and kill everything while it's frozen, unable to do anything to you.

I'll take a few initial hits from monsters, but once everyone is frozen, my ES gets regenerated back to full. You'll still have health for those nasty fights, and because of the way the tree is fleshed out, you'll be getting about 1.8% regen. That's around 60 health per second on mine. I have a lot of mana regen and currently sitting at 214.7, so running arctic armour is viable too on top of my ES.

You will need to be clever with your curses when you hit A3M and have poor gear. Against rapid fire mobs, Temporal Chains usage will be crucial to your survival.

Gem links

Glacial Cascade + Power Charge on Critical + Faster Casting + Increased Critical Damage + Added Chaos + Added Lightning (Or concentrated + aoe)
Cold Snap + Increased AOE + Elemental Proliferation + Cold Penetration
Spell Totem + Ice Nova + Increased AOE (+ Faster Casting if you wish)
Reduced Mana + Herald of Ice + Clarity (+ Hasted if your pool is big enough)
Lightning Warp + Reduced Duration + Faster Casting
Assassin's Mark + Temporal Chain (+ Increased AOE is optional if you can handle it, can level a spare gem or something)
(Optional) Cast When Damage Taken + Increased Duration + Immortal Call + Enduring Cry

Honestly? I do not have CWDT setup on me. Never found the need to have it on with some positioning.

Bandits

Kill Oak, Kill all, Help Kataryin for the power charge.

My current gear

You do not need a 6L to run this, but a 5L is nice to have for maps. I've been running Item Rarity gem for my 6th link and no issues so far.

Gearing up

This requires no uniques. Just get as much ES/HP as you can for your gears. A Divinarius is nice, but not required. Get as much crit as you possibly can. Get some mana regen, preferably 100-130% total so that you can run Arctic Armour. Thanks to crafting, it's not that hard anymore to put some regen on your weapon or accessories.

FAQ

Q: Why no Spell Echo?
A: I don't like how I'm not in control for the 2nd cast. It's just a preference, you can go ahead and use echo in place of faster casting. While I am aware echo gives more DPS, I enjoy being in control for every cast when I'm required to kite.

Q: No Knockback gem too?
A: It's about control again for me. I just dislike mobs being throw all over the place with Knockback. When they get stuck in my Ice Nova totem, they usually never unfreeze till they are dead, including rares and certain map bosses. Don't wish to knock them out of it.

If there is more interest in this build, I'll post more info like leveling trees, etc. Leveling with this build is pretty straight forward though.
Last edited by Vulpix0r on Sep 5, 2014, 8:53:27 AM
Hey there, I really like the idea of this build, surely gonna test it out.

Could you maybe link how you'd put in you passive while lvling?

Cheers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info