Paying for help in optimizing my Icespear build

Paying a few chaos for best advice

Lvl84 W/o Power charges crit is 35.4 and with is 56.4%( max 6 charges ) Crit multp. 627%

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA34rfsAelghAC4yycSbKvmxBYQZYFQkyzrrMRD9teUDCsmFXGOliD218qdFVMLSKBnqFWSo48F1RT1I2C0eSfARSw2wuCHvIdZJ3r9Y_67BjBxYhCuZPDCUlR8NUHHpUuEZZjQw5IXfLfhELDFefwa3OzjDYC_peXVUsWvyaVYeIHY8u9cFKJ03DV44Q2PWKsnapsjI2_BbXC7LTFUUf_3iT951QwfE2SI_aNfaOKVvruDvzFSn2Hdmeg3Q06sxUgLOmkOdCBR-Ii4g==

Really at a loss. I know there's much room for improvement.
Not sure whther to go for a voll's 6l or a rare 6l.
I know i need maligaros but getting 3 offs would of been costly so I took this cheap substitute in smokes instead.
Using a 4Link Icespear Pcoc to gain power charges and keep em up but its honestly annoying. I don't really mind on some maps but others I do.

Not sure what to work towards now in my skill tree as well. Was working towards the shadows ele starting area but i have no idea if damage is better atp or go for more crit chance + mult

Using my shield to just level gems as I don't know what to put in there as using my gloves for PCOC is really throwing me off. I'll eventually have my lightning warp reduced duration and FC in there. Not sure what to do with the auras on my wand to be quite honest. I have no idea what to add in there if I switch it to a 4L.The only gem I really need that I'm leveling in my switch is a faster casting and reduced duration so Idk how to optimize correctly.
Last edited by Desyncisreal on Sep 3, 2014, 4:00:52 PM
bump, please help
Last edited by Desyncisreal on Sep 2, 2014, 8:45:03 PM
please?
just one quality post plz. Thoughts on cold atziri belt too plz
1) For your power charge builder use power charge on crit + faster casting + spell echo + ice spear. GMP isn't worthwhile since this spell isn't for damage, so to generate power charges quickly this is your best setup.

2) You should get a quality ice spear. You have no Q right now, which sucks for upgrading, but the difference between the projectile speed is huge. Try linking a faster projectiles and use a Karui ward to test out what faster projectiles are like. Big difference!

3) I'm a bit confused by your auras. Clarity and Herald of Ice with Eldritch battery? It seems that you should definitely find room for another aura. Anything is really fine, pick what you like.

4) I don't like your passive tree at all. You spend 4 points travelling in dex nodes just to pick up HP. This is not a great plan, even if you do get flask nodes. Here's an updated tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQB6UC40myLJwQWAVCr5tBlq6z0PVMs1Aw214RD0wtrJgUsBdUOlh0VYIenwGOPFXGXyrbC8Hz0eRWSpUgoqONgp6haxd_xg_EU9QigbzqHNwRljt8wFSTJw5IBx64ympDCPTviOOEY0Nd8pUu-Tc2PXDVQsPw1dfPnaqJ09-Ej_pJUUmxYqxsjHBSAv7r9bTFjDZkncMJwuxzs-UZVUvyHbmTKlvwa2HiefYV5yaVQzYWv1Ls

It gives you the same amount of life (minus flask stuff) for way less points, while also picking up more damage.

Some good nodes you missed:
I) Pierce nodes. Haven't played with them, but I think they're good. Might not be enough pierce to matter. Try them out.

II) Frost walker. Tons of damage and resist for two points.

III) The HP/mana nodes. These are way better than just straight mana.

IV) The witch starting node on the right. 40% regen for one point (and ES) is huge!

5) To figure out if you need crit multi or spell damage to boost your damage do the following. Add up all your modifiers to your ice spear (% cold damage, % spell damage) including passives and items. Then take that +x% to figure out how much damage spell damage gives you, and divide. Example, you have 100% increased damage. This means your spells do 1+1=2x their normal damage. If you get 20% spell damage, you do 1+1+.2=2.2x times damage. This means you deal 2.2/2 = 1.1x the damage you did before. Do something similarly for crit multiplier.

6) Get 30% movement speed boots. This will for sure improve your clear speed and safety.

7) You don't need more crit chance. With the +600% increased bonus you ahve 98% crit chance at max power charges.

8) Consider getting quality on gems, that will add a pretty decent (although not amazing) boost too for late game. Don't just GCP all of the ones you have though. Your gems will be level 20 soon so you can recipe (level 20 gem + gcp = 20q level 1 gem) for a big profit later. You could buy some quality supports in the meantime though.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Sep 3, 2014, 5:10:29 AM
You can get 6% cast speed on your shield from the gravestone master.

Cast on Stun, Frostwall, Shockwave Totem is a useful defensive combo.

I use glacial cascade with life leech, cold penetration and spell echo for melee that just stays in your face.

Lightning warp with reduced duration is better than faster casting I think, could be wrong.

If you can get more mana regen, arctic armor is pretty nice.

You can use assasins mark instead of power charge on crit to free up a socket. Obviously doesn't work on curse immune maps.
there actually is a nice discussion on an ice spear build on reddit i learned alot from.

definitely worth reading.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
Avelice wrote:
1) For your power charge builder use power charge on crit + faster casting + spell echo + ice spear. GMP isn't worthwhile since this spell isn't for damage, so to generate power charges quickly this is your best setup.

2) You should get a quality ice spear. You have no Q right now, which sucks for upgrading, but the difference between the projectile speed is huge. Try linking a faster projectiles and use a Karui ward to test out what faster projectiles are like. Big difference!

3) I'm a bit confused by your auras. Clarity and Herald of Ice with Eldritch battery? It seems that you should definitely find room for another aura. Anything is really fine, pick what you like.

4) I don't like your passive tree at all. You spend 4 points travelling in dex nodes just to pick up HP. This is not a great plan, even if you do get flask nodes. Here's an updated tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgMA37DfioIQB6UC40myLJwQWAVCr5tBlq6z0PVMs1Aw214RD0wtrJgUsBdUOlh0VYIenwGOPFXGXyrbC8Hz0eRWSpUgoqONgp6haxd_xg_EU9QigbzqHNwRljt8wFSTJw5IBx64ympDCPTviOOEY0Nd8pUu-Tc2PXDVQsPw1dfPnaqJ09-Ej_pJUUmxYqxsjHBSAv7r9bTFjDZkncMJwuxzs-UZVUvyHbmTKlvwa2HiefYV5yaVQzYWv1Ls

It gives you the same amount of life (minus flask stuff) for way less points, while also picking up more damage.

Some good nodes you missed:
I) Pierce nodes. Haven't played with them, but I think they're good. Might not be enough pierce to matter. Try them out.

II) Frost walker. Tons of damage and resist for two points.

III) The HP/mana nodes. These are way better than just straight mana.

IV) The witch starting node on the right. 40% regen for one point (and ES) is huge!

5) To figure out if you need crit multi or spell damage to boost your damage do the following. Add up all your modifiers to your ice spear (% cold damage, % spell damage) including passives and items. Then take that +x% to figure out how much damage spell damage gives you, and divide. Example, you have 100% increased damage. This means your spells do 1+1=2x their normal damage. If you get 20% spell damage, you do 1+1+.2=2.2x times damage. This means you deal 2.2/2 = 1.1x the damage you did before. Do something similarly for crit multiplier.

6) Get 30% movement speed boots. This will for sure improve your clear speed and safety.

7) You don't need more crit chance. With the +600% increased bonus you ahve 98% crit chance at max power charges.

8) Consider getting quality on gems, that will add a pretty decent (although not amazing) boost too for late game. Don't just GCP all of the ones you have though. Your gems will be level 20 soon so you can recipe (level 20 gem + gcp = 20q level 1 gem) for a big profit later. You could buy some quality supports in the meantime though.

That tree is less life though and the only way to pick up more would to be go down those 4 dex nodes and hit that herbalism sector though. I'm really thinking about pierce, I one -2 shot most whites in any map but pierce would come in handy in certain situations.I would also think with those pierce nodes youd either want to get them if you're using pierce gem or not get them at all Idk. You could have 100% pierce w/ gem but you'd lose out on dps 40% isn't bad though Might be worth the 4 points im not sure. Your tree had 119% life but it was a considerable less amount of points.

e/ Whats my dream armor? 6l volls? 6l Cloak of def? a nice 6l Rare es chest?
Last edited by Desyncisreal on Sep 3, 2014, 1:53:45 PM
I updated my tree to what it currently is I also dont like how I stretch so far down for life nodes as you pointed out. I have grown to those flask nodes tho </3. Will be heartbreaking to let em go but i'll live. I just dont want to lose to much life as welll.

You mentioned something about me running clarity and herald of ice. I think those are optimal for my build but if not please direct me to what would be. I still have a huge mana pool so I'd love to throw something else in there just not sure what would help... If there is any solid advice on which chest I should grab please let me know.

Also if I run arctic armor What lvl and about how much mana per sec should I aim for. I'd love to be tankier vs phys and thats looking like my only option atp
Last edited by Desyncisreal on Sep 3, 2014, 4:08:03 PM
bump

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info