Desynchronization

Yes, yes, yes, I know this has been brought up time and time again; however, it's not being fixed.

I love new content, but for the love of the gods, please address the desync problems! I understand that it is a part of any game due to synchronization between the server and the client, but it is far worse in Path of Exile than any other game I have ever played before in my life.

I, for one, would be completely content with a slightly larger gap between content releases and leagues if it would encourage GGG to minimize this rage-inducing issue!

Seriously. It's terrible.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Nerazul wrote:
Yes, yes, yes, I know this has been brought up time and time again; however, it's not being fixed.

Yes, and GGG explained it time and time again.
Instead of looking at the thousand other threads where some community members or even GGG explained it, you just create a new one while you have not even read them, I suppose.

Read this: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/889669
So you're saying that because it was dismissed previously with a wall of text and false reasons why it's "good," no one can bring it up again? Get off your pedestal and realize that this is a problem that most certainly can be fixed.

I've read that post, and I've read others by other "coding experts" that try to back GGG up. Dismissing a problem does not solve it. The issue can be fixed, the developers choose not to - taking the fanboy stance does not change that fact. You might be fine being dismissed by half-truths and excuses, but I would like to see more done to fix this nonsense.

The only real reason GGG is maintaining their position and not just solving the issue is for "PvP and hardcore reasons." PvP is basically worthless right now, so why make the entire gamerbase suffer for a mechanic that very few even use and absolutely zero profit from? As for the hardcore issues, how can you tell me it creates more balance and "fun" to have everyone desynchronize from the server every few minutes, especially after using certain skills? I like using cyclone! I like making a summoner! I like ridiculously fast run speed!

1) Reduce (drastically, if need be) the character and monster impact radius. This would solve almost all issues that I am personally having, because making my way past/around monsters is the primary cause of the desync

2) Upgrade the quality/quantity of servers running the game. This one costs a bit more money than the other options, and with a F2P game, I can understand why this might not be 100% possible. However, that is why I suggested small sacrifices elsewhere.

3) Get with the rest of the gaming world and put the burden on the client. Seriously, I'm tired of hearing why you won't do this.
"
Nerazul wrote:
So you're saying that because it was dismissed previously with a wall of text and false reasons why it's "good," no one can bring it up again? Get off your pedestal and realize that this is a problem that most certainly can be fixed.

I've read that post, and I've read others by other "coding experts" that try to back GGG up. Dismissing a problem does not solve it. The issue can be fixed, the developers choose not to - taking the fanboy stance does not change that fact. You might be fine being dismissed by half-truths and excuses, but I would like to see more done to fix this nonsense.

The only real reason GGG is maintaining their position and not just solving the issue is for "PvP and hardcore reasons." PvP is basically worthless right now, so why make the entire gamerbase suffer for a mechanic that very few even use and absolutely zero profit from? As for the hardcore issues, how can you tell me it creates more balance and "fun" to have everyone desynchronize from the server every few minutes, especially after using certain skills? I like using cyclone! I like making a summoner! I like ridiculously fast run speed!

1) Reduce (drastically, if need be) the character and monster impact radius. This would solve almost all issues that I am personally having, because making my way past/around monsters is the primary cause of the desync

2) Upgrade the quality/quantity of servers running the game. This one costs a bit more money than the other options, and with a F2P game, I can understand why this might not be 100% possible. However, that is why I suggested small sacrifices elsewhere.

3) Get with the rest of the gaming world and put the burden on the client. Seriously, I'm tired of hearing why you won't do this.

It seems you either haven't read it fully or you didn't understand it. Desync doesn't exist because their servers are bad, it's the netcode. More servers wouldn't make any difference for desync. And believe me, the community would become much unhappier if they put the burden on the client because that would make cheating possible and would destroy the game.

As player you can easily tell them to improve such things because in most cases they don't know the technical details behind it, but it's never that easy. They are working on desync and I'm sure that they do what they can. They know many player suffer from this and they notice this often destroys the image of their game. But for god's sake: DESYNC IS NOT AS BAD AS EVERYONE DEPICTS IT! Many people cannot even differentiate desync and latency issues anymore because they think it's all the same, but still they think to have the right to complain about something they do not understand.

You just created another thread of thousand and do you certainly think that will change something? In my opinion that is ruthless spamming of the forum.
Last edited by darkmatch on Sep 2, 2014, 3:57:40 PM
"
Nerazul wrote:

It is not being dismissed. They are not choosing to ignore it. Chris has stated REPEATEDLY that it is being worked on and is currently in internal testing. Improvements to netcode / sync aren't ready to go live yet. This isn't an excuse, it is simply the way it is. It is a difficult problem that will never go away entirely, but can be improved to the point where it is less noticeable.

"
Nerazul wrote:

Unfortunately, you are expressing a basic lack in understanding of the problem. The fixes you suggest wouldn't improve anything unfortunately.

It is frustrating, but changes that won't help aren't the answer.

Ya, it sucks, but it isn't being ignored.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
The fixes I suggested would absolutely solve the problem.

Impact radii being what they are can be considered "part of the experience" or whatever G^3 claims, and I can get behind that because it's part of what makes certain battles difficult. However, when do you just bite the bullet and sacrifice a little bit?

Regarding the other two suggestions, I'm not sure where your expertise in these matters comes from, but those are the two universally accepted foremost fixes for this problem.

I don't expect it changed overnight, my beef is simply this: Whether or not it is any sort of priority at all, I would like to see it become a foremost priority because it is the absolutely extreme factor working against this game. It has become a norm for people to just "work around" the desync. I have to learn ways to play alongside it, instead of holding the devs accountable to fix it. Telling me that it's being worked on isn't going to stop me from reporting my displeasure with that aspect of gameplay. If that bothers anyone, move on to the next thread. If it irks GGG, then look around at the other threads and listen to the masses, and make it your absolute priority. No one's complaining about more content. The reason more *aren't* complaining about this issue daily is because they've just given up and accepted it as just part of Path of Exile (or Path of Desync as I hear it aptly named multiple times daily).
You want us to be able to cheat?
Sorry, but that would be the actual death of the game.
They try to fix it and they know their own netcode best. You cannot say something would absolutely solve the problem, if you don't know their code.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info