Why GC is better than my other spells ?

Hello. I don't understand something.
The game indicates that GC deals 900 DPS and FP 1 200.
But, GC one-shoot everything whereas FP needs 2~4 cast to kill a mob.
Why ?
Glacial Cascade deals its damage via AoE, and the AoEs it creates overlap: if an enemy is in more than one of the areas, it gets hit by both (or all three, or four, etc.).

Freezing Pulse, by contrast, hits once (per projectile), and its damage falls off with distance - it works best in melee or near-melee range.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
I don't see why you think GC is the best.

I'm getting 27k DPS from Incinerate using Cybil's Paw. I can only imagine the DPS if I got more than 28% increased spell damage from the passive skill tree.
"
Skivverus wrote:
Glacial Cascade deals its damage via AoE, and the AoEs it creates overlap: if an enemy is in more than one of the areas, it gets hit by both (or all three, or four, etc.).

Freezing Pulse, by contrast, hits once (per projectile), and its damage falls off with distance - it works best in melee or near-melee range.

Okey, i get it.
So GC real DPS is, in my case like 900*3...or even 900*4 ? :O
GC can only hit 2 times. Even with a high increased AOE the circles only overlap once.
There is a GC guide with the images and the calculations.

A mob can only take 2x the GC damage, whatever AOE it has.
A mob will take 2x the GC damage so the DPS is double the toolbar DPS.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Last edited by CommodoX on Sep 1, 2014, 7:06:21 PM
"
CommodoX wrote:
GC can only hit 2 times. Even with a high increased AOE the circles only overlap once.

You have source on this? Since I have sources which state otherwise (it can hit 3/4 times)
i think you use conc effect to make it so you can hit with more than 2 :)
"
CommodoX wrote:

Not true, but that's usually the case, especially with the case of targets the same size as your character.

You can hit a larger than normal target multiple times (3-4) depending on their size, because their size happens to fit within multiple circles. For example those big ass bear things tend to get hit 4 times by Glacial Cascade.

It's pretty easy to test too. Cast it once at the larger target, you'll notice it's life comes off in 3 to 4 part portions.
"
LovelyMonster wrote:
You have source on this? Since I have sources which state otherwise (it can hit 3/4 times)

I searched the recent Glacial Cascade guides/builds here, but couldn't find it .... I started my GC witch a few days ago and read the thread and saw the drawings/calculations there before I started playing so it can't be that long ago.
It must be here somewhere, I will look further.
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
I recall a diagram of such sort being made (try the Gem thread?), but that was before the latest buff to GC that improved its AoE. 1.2.0: "The area of effect of each ice section has been increased. This also increases the area of overlaps of sections."
Last edited by Vipermagi on Sep 2, 2014, 9:26:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info