Shrapnel Grenade Trapper Shadow, the not so quiet assassin.

Hello This build utilizes 2 ranged attack abilities implemented onto the trap and multi trap gems; A Bow and Quiver ARE required for those of you not familiar with traps interactions with ranged attacks. I have found two of the best skills to use for this purpose of a build are Rain of Arrows and the new Tornado Shot while abusing Point blank and Chin Sol bow. I will be updating this thread as I progress further into maps. Please Message me if you have any questions or need deeper explanations. You can find me livestreaming the build on my twitch http://www.twitch.tv/observerwardxxl/ if you wish to see it live in action. Videos are coming up soon!.

The benefit of this however is that you now can potentially run with not one but two six links of gear, which having skills on cooldown necessitates as you cannot just hold a button to spam. This build is extremely fun and active, it requires attentive play however if you choose to be acrobatics based or you can opt out for iron reflexes.

The Skill Tree and about it

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYBAF4DHgW1BiMHHgguDkgRLxGWFHUVIBa_GY4e8B9BIuIj9iSdJpUrCizpL28wcTB8MgEylDY9OkJH4klRSn1LeE2SUUdVS1b6XfJeRWHiYetiWmKsZ6BqjGyMbWxwUXC7dm9313pTfXV-sH8CfyuHdow2jX2Nv4_6kvOVBZUumZqbJpuNnaqi2aQ5pMKm4LDYshm0xbVItve3dcgUy73N6s960IHTftQj1orYVNkT2cbb590N3ajfmOaB53To1usU62PsGO2D7g7uFe968NX1b_rr_MX-ug==

I take acrobatics because I have yet to try it in high level maps. So far acrobatics has been working great with my manoeuvrability and ability to actively avoid damage. The main concerns with acrobatics are the same with other builds though, Physical Damage Spells and Scary things like packs of devourers all popping up underneath you at once. It Would be extremely easy for you to drop acrobatics entirely and pick up Iron Reflexes as it is only 3 points away.

Keep in mind this is a rough build at the moment and I have not yet built up a map pool to start mapping in beyond yet due to lack of currency to obtain maps.

Bandits!

Normal, Help oak for the Health (I took the extra skill point just in case I needed it)
Cruel, Help oak for the Physical Damage
Merciless, Murder everyone for a skill point

Levelling this is all up to how you prefer to play, I started with fire trap, bear trap, and self cast Rain of Arrows until act 2 Normal. Then I started levelling with Multi Trap Rain of Arrows simply due to my preference of trying to learn the build as early as possible and want of using the skills as soon as possible.

I would not recommend levelling up via Multi Trap rain of arrows alone (if you want to be as fast as possible) , having something like burning arrow for single target or just self casting rain of arrows will progress you at a decent rate.

I used a Deaths Harp 3link bow from Level 31 to level 60 (merciless fellshrine). This build is not an expensive build at all, Especially with the new masters you can just Magic %weapon physical damage on a slow attacking bow and toss on flat physical damage by the masters workbench if you feel in need of a dire upgrade.

What Do I Want for Skill Gems Exactly

You Need, 100% absolutely need both Tornado Shot + Rain of Arrows to be Linked up to both | Trap | Multiple Traps. The Synergy between "shotgun'ing" Packs with 3 Rain of Arrows going off at once dramatically improve clearing speed, and Tornado Shot just scales extremely well with more projectiles and attacks overall so multi trap helps that (not to mention it has a small aoe so it is quite literally a shrapnel grenade).

I run two separate 4 Links right now my Bow has |Rain of Arrows + Physical Projectile + Trap + Multiple Traps|. I would probably add something like added Fire damage , or slower projectiles for a 5th or 6th link. I am not too fond of Concentrated Effect on RoA in this build since it does exactly that, you lose out on additional Area of Effect so you might not land 3 rain of arrows on every mob in the pack anymore, it feels to me as if you actually lose clearing speed with it.

While my Tornado shot is on |Tornado Shot + Lesser Multiple Projectiles (please if you can afford buy a gmp, its only a damage increase) + Trap + Multiple Traps| and for a 5th and 6th link I would use Physical Projectiles and Added Fire Damage in that order.

Bear Trap + Added Fire + Culling Strike + Item Rarity helps with uniques and some tougher rares with its insane damage and synergy with trap damage.

Herald of Ash is amazing, its a more efficient version of Hatred, and Since you have a relatively smaller mana pool and will most likely be wanting to run Clarity you cannot afford to run hatred (unless you pick up more mana reservation nodes and somehow manage to run both hatred and ash) Place Clarity and Herald of Ash to Reduced mana.

Gear you want to look for: High Physical Damage Bows. Quivers and Belts that leave 1 mod off of it for the new craftable "+% To trap & mine damage" from Tora the explorer. Theres not much need for anything special or unique, just standard elemental resistances and health on evasion (or armor/evasion for IR) gear.

I Plan on running 2 seething flasks and a Catalysed Staunching for bleeds. I have a quicksilver flask of dispel chill, and a jade flask of 98% evasion. So nothing out of the ordinary again.

Movement speed on boots is one of the most important things I enjoy in any league, it lets you get to packs faster to get more experience and lets you run away from dangerous scenarios easier.

The Play Style

Its super easy. You just gather up packs and throw down a Rain of Arrow multi trap along them and follow up with a Tornado shot. Bear trap to pick off stragglers or unique mobs. Its incredibly potent for burst damage and gives you good range for safety. You are Mobile and Quick, Don't face tank the enemy. If you ever have trouble with unique bosses toss a bear trap down and gain distance. I have been killing Bosses I feel that can kill me easily just by off-screening them with traps. You are extremely safe unless you get caught out of position or cornered. Make sure to use Enfeeble/Temp Chains or Vulnerability as your selfish curses.

This build might see issues in Group play due to the trap timers but it seems manageable enough.

Some Useful Uniques

I know I said you don't need very much unique gear, but there are two pieces that can really make this build shine.

The Chin Sol Bow

Im not entirely sure what the comparison this bow can make to a top rolled bow but it is extremely effective for entering maps and doing merciless. The 100% damage stacks with point blank which really makes your tornado shot and rain of arrow traps hit like a truck.

The other unique that might be good would be The Sunblast Belt

This thing was made for trappers and thus it makes sense to use on one. It Has nice Trap damage ( Although a top rolled Rustic Sash with the pseudo Trap damage craft-able mod would be higher damage ) and the added effect of having your missed traps go off to give you a little bit more coverage and consistency of damage. You however give up some life and defense for this so its more of a side grade now that you can craft the trap damage mod (remember to craft the mod onto your quiver too!).

Last edited by mazonreborn on Aug 31, 2014, 10:02:53 AM
[reserved]
[reserved]
I asked in another thread but i will ask here. What is a the benefit of using a bow/quiver for traps?
"
I asked in another thread but i will ask here. What is a the benefit of using a bow/quiver for traps?

you can now craft +10-20% Trap damage on quivers, It puts ranged attack traps on par with spell traps (spell damage beat flat damage quiver mods by a lot).

It requires a level 4 reputation tora to craft at the station.
Last edited by mazonreborn on Sep 1, 2014, 7:40:25 PM
This sounds really fun.
Can you give a general leveling guide for the passive tree??
Thanks
hi thanks for the guide although i see that there's still not much details about it. the other day i was also starting to want to make a trapper which uses rain of arrows and im glad that i have seen your guide.
could you post your current stats and gears at you current level? thanks for giving it a try. will try this out too in beyond :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info