Mokou's Embrace Effect on You, Totems and Minions

I was trying to determine the effects of the Rings ignite bonus when using Totems, and how they interact. Also, I wondered how bad the downsides were for this ring.

For the test, I used the following skill link:

Flame Totem + Fire Penetration + Lesser Multiple Projectiles

I went to Docks and Crematorium. Critical attacks and spells from non-fire damage does not cause the ignite. It has to be an attack/spell which causes fire damage (and the subsequent crit to cause the ignite status effect). Fire degeneration like RF and burning ground don't "Hit", so they can't initiate an ignite.

Here are the results with the 3-link noted above.
Spoiler
Baseline damage without Mokou's Embrace:

Baseline damage with Mokou's Embrace:

Self Immollation:

Now, with Faster Casting added to the Flame Totem 3-link

Spoiler
Baseline with Mokou's Embrace:

Self Immollation:

But, when I am on Fire, it gave me nearly 300 dps more. When you factor dual LMP shotguns, that is a bonus 1800 dps in the face of a boss.

In terms of damage to self, I have max fire resist, so while I was ignited for the full duration, it barely tickled. Could have good synergy with a Cloak of Flame.

Looking for anyone else experiences with it. It's a nice ring till you get a Le Heup or something similar.

Edit: Removed inconsistent results.
IGN: Grave_Intentions
$$$ Grave Intentions Flame Totem MFarmer: I'm Cheap 'n' Easy $$$
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/979802
Last edited by Fri3dchick3m on Aug 29, 2014, 12:31:19 AM
The reason you have a few points of extra DPS is because your maximum Damage is not consistent - it has nothing to do with the Totems being Ignited. Them burning or not cannot make a difference even, for multiple reasons:
You don't gain their stats; DPS is based on your stats only
They don't have the ring, so no bonus Cast Speed
They use your stats only, hence DPS increasing when you are Ignited
"
Vipermagi wrote:
The reason you have a few points of extra DPS is because your maximum Damage is not consistent - it has nothing to do with the Totems being Ignited. Them burning or not cannot make a difference even, for multiple reasons:
You don't gain their stats; DPS is based on your stats only
They don't have the ring, so no bonus Cast Speed
They use your stats only, hence DPS increasing when you are Ignited

Your totem DPS may have a variable output, but your tooltip dps calculation factors in the averages and displays only that.

This is observation from my testing - not theory.
- The damage buff to self, and totems are both 5 seconds.
- There is no damage buff to totems when hit by fire attacks at least 80-85% of the time. Chance to ignite (Ring 5-10%), and chance to crit are rolled separately.
- The damage buff only happens when hit by a crit from a fire-based attack.
- DPS doesn't change when fighting non-fire damage.

The ring does affect the totems. The same way Culling Strike does on the Heartbreaker or Reaper's Pursuit.
Last edited by Fri3dchick3m on Aug 28, 2014, 9:18:40 PM
"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:
The ring does affect the totems. The same way Culling Strike does on the Heartbreaker or Reaper's Pursuit.

Hello, I am not sure about totem but i am pretty sure heartbreaker doesn t give culling strike to minions, those pretty much interact with mods and gems in the same way totem does.

Logic is; what affect you directly doesn t affect your mininon (life leech, atk speed etc...) same goes for the skill tree btw.

Last edited by Tistuto on Aug 28, 2014, 10:14:18 PM
Vipermagi is correct.
"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:
The ring does affect the totems.
Not directly. The ring affects you, and while you are ignited, it increases your attack and cast speeds. Since the Totems are using your skills, which use your stats, this increases the cast speed the totems cast at, because they inherently use your cast speed, not their own.
The totems being on fire flat out does nothing. They don't have the ring, you do. The ring only ever cares if you're on fire.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Aug 28, 2014, 10:44:23 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Vipermagi is correct.
"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:
The ring does affect the totems.
Not directly. The ring affects you, and while you are ignited, it increases your attack and cast speeds. Since the Totems are using your skills, which use your stats, this increases the cast speed the totems cast at, because they inherently use your cast speed, not their own.
The totems being on fire flat out does nothing. They don't have the ring, you do. The ring only ever cares if you're on fire.

Anyway to explain why my totems change DPS, when I am no where near a source of damage? I have confirmed that when I get ignited, there is a distinct effect. But there is also an effect when my totems get lit up as well (albeit very slight increase).
"
Tistuto wrote:
"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:

Hello, I am not sure about totem but i am pretty sure heartbreaker doesn t give culling strike to minions, those pretty much interact with mods and gems in the same way totem does.

Logic is; what affect you directly doesn t affect your mininon (life leech, atk speed etc...) same goes for the skill tree btw.

I tested Heartbreaker on a high HP mini boss and it does cull.
"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:
Anyway to explain why my totems change DPS, when I am no where near a source of damage? I have confirmed that when I get ignited, there is a distinct effect. But there is also an effect when my totems get lit up as well (albeit very slight increase).
You probably have buffs on you affecting your DPS (most likely Rampage bonuses)
"
"
Fri3dchick3m wrote:
You probably have buffs on you affecting your DPS (most likely Rampage bonuses)

Thanks for the replies.

It is very possible, it's not related to the ring, however, I am not sure why the dps changes. Here is a short vid of the dps change: http://youtu.be/E_dTf9WNGKU
Last edited by Fri3dchick3m on Aug 28, 2014, 11:58:16 PM
Thanks for the analysis! I'm wondering how efficient it is for a flame-totem build though. Generally you don't want to be hit by anything, so the times you get ignited isn't that often (the way I see it at least).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info