[1.2.0] Lord of Ice — Crit Icespear(60k effective dps/ VP /EB / Herald of ice/ Freeze everything! )

Hello, exiles

With the release of the new expansion, several crucial changes make a innovative build possbile. That's the critical icespear build.

First, what are the important changes in the expansion for this build?

Spoiler

1. Ice Spear damage increased by 87% at level 20

2. New aura "Herald of ice": adding cold damage to spells and attacks. Frozen enemies deal cold damage on death to enemies near them.

3. Warlord's Mark have now life leech and mana leech which work for spells. Assassin's mark give power charge on kill.

4. New passive tree change(Critical nodes buffed and concentrated, interruption avoid node near witch's start, etc)

Main ideaThe best defense is a good offense(and FREEZE ^^)
Spoiler

Take avantage of icespear's enormous buff. Go for a critical build.

Use Vaal Pact against reflect (since not everyone have Atziri's Acuity)

Thanks to the changes of warlord's mark, life leech is enough even with 40% effectiveness of VP. And we have mana leech for spell too. So cool

Herald of ice provide decent damage buff to spell and a very good aoe damage effect. Great synergy with icespear because we freeze everything!!!

Pros & Cons
Spoiler

Pros
High dps without worrying about reflect aura rare monster, high map clear speed. Solo lvl 74 map is quite easy.
Continously freeze enemies, so quite good survivability and party friendly
Cheap, not gear dependant

Cons
BM, no generation or elemental reflect map are not recommended
Glass cannon, sometimes get killed in high level map because of carelessness (can be improved by using good chest, i use tabula for the moment)

General Stat of this build
Spoiler

By level 80, you will have the following stats (which depend of course on your gear)

Defensive:
About 3000 life, 2400 mana
Few armor and evade rating (like 10% mitigation)
About 30% block chance
lvl 20 Arctic armor
Don't forget that you continously freeze all enemies, even boss !! (thanks to the 50-60% critical chance of ice spear(with curse)and almost 100% critical chance for second form)

Offensive:
High dps for single target and decent map clear speed
Dps displayed with lmp is over 15k (curse, shock and charge not including)
If u hit monsters by the 2nd form of icespear(near 100% critical chance), the dps will be 30k and *1.4 by the assassin's mark, *1.5 by shock. The final effective dps is over 60k

Gear& Gem Link & Flask
Spoiler

Gear
I posted mine below. Feel free to chose yours.
Just focus on damage, critical chance, critical damage for offensive stat
and resistance, life for defensive stat
Don't forget to get some mana regeneration and some energy shield to fuel arctic armor

Main skill
5L Ice spear - Less multiple projectile - Spell echo - Increased critical damage - Added lightning damage
6L + Fast casting (or life leech)

Support skill
4L Vaal molten shell - Increased duration - Life leech - Increased area of effect (or fire penetration)

3L Assassin's mark - Warlord's mark - Increased area of effect

4L Reduced mana - Discipline - Clarity - Herald of ice

Flask:
Eternal life flask(remove bleeding) *2
Sapphire flask(dispel frozen) *1
Eternal mana flask if necessary

Why it is cheap?
Spoiler

Not dependant to expensive unique items or rare items, the only must is a windscream boot for additional curse
I also recommand to use Tabula(for flexibilty)

You may see that i use a lot of unique items. They are absolutely not essential for this build. You can change to any other unique or rare according to your needs.

Play Style
Spoiler

Curse enemies with warlord's mark and assassin's mark. Spam icespear

For reflect aura rare monster, curse ( and drink a cold resistance flask, optional), spam icespear

Before open a strongbox, use vaal molten shell

For elemental reflect map, change fast casting to life leech gem (if u use a tabula), the rest is the same. (I recommand to skip elemental reflect map)

Passive tree

Bandits
Spoiler

Normal skill or life (skill recommended)
Cruel skill
Merciless skill

My current stat (with image)
Spoiler

Main skill stat

Icespear

Vaal Molten Shell

Offensive stat

Defensive stat (snapshoted in my hideout, dont be surprised by the resisitance :-) )

My current Gear (for reference)
Spoiler

Feel free to ask me question, whatever on the build or other stuff :-)

Your opinions are also beneficial for me.
Last edited by Lelouchzqy on Aug 28, 2014, 3:20:46 PM
Version 1.0 updated
Bump for sharing with exiles :-)
Pain Attunement with no ES on a life build?
bump for cool ideas with nerfed VP :D
Trading still sucks
"
Bada_Bing wrote:
Pain Attunement with no ES on a life build?

Yeah, Since this is a vp and low defense build, sometimes you can suddeny drop into "lowlife" At that time, 30% more damage means that your can do more damge and leech more life from this "lowlife" shot.
This is for getting more survivability when face tanking
And it works quite well especially with vaal molten shell+life leech

I think 1 passive point may be worthy
Looks like lots of fun. Will add in a cold to fire to deal with resist.
"
npokorny wrote:
Looks like lots of fun. Will add in a cold to fire to deal with resist.

good idea. or a pyre ring maybe

How do you find clearing AoE trash? I've always liked ice spear, but ended up with freeze pulse just due to its usefulness on waves of mobs. Perma freeze sound great, though
"
JoeODanger wrote:
How do you find clearing AoE trash? I've always liked ice spear, but ended up with freeze pulse just due to its usefulness on waves of mobs. Perma freeze sound great, though

See "Herald of ice", we shatter the first enemies and do aoe damage to nearby enemies

Indeed, the damage of "Herald of ice" is not very high and wide, but is still enough for us to keep a good clear speed for waves of monsters

If u want to further improve your aoe capacity, u can choose to link a Increased aoe gem to Herald of ice
seems legit will try out

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info