[2.3 Pro]Datboishagg's Ball Lightning/Vortex Elementalist

What's the average dps of leveling with ball lightning in cruel? I'm at 196 dps, which while clearing decently, seems pretty low. I'm not running your exact build, but with your 4-link set up, 96% spell/elemental, 28% lightning, but 0 cast speed nodes though from current tree that's what I'm getting. Is it because I got spell over cast speed? How can I make the damage go up if possible, I'm lv38.

Here's my damage effecting gear:

Spoiler

-[2.0] Tokyo's CoC Hybrid Damage Frostblader ---> view-thread/1401907
-[2.0] The Samurai (2H Crit Katana Wild Striker) ---> view-thread/1368690
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
Last edited by TokyoToho on Sep 3, 2014, 11:17:47 PM
"
Fangs wrote:
What's the average dps of leveling with ball lightning in cruel? I'm at 196 dps, which while clearing decently, seems pretty low. I'm not running your exact build, but with your 4-link set up, 96% spell/elemental, 28% lightning, but 0 cast speed nodes though from current tree that's what I'm getting. Is it because I got spell over cast speed? How can I make the damage go up if possible, I'm lv38.

Spoiler

always remember clear speed is more important than tooltip dps as majority of skills don't show their true damage on the tooltip, if its clearing fine then you shouldn't have too many worries.

as for build looks good and ive seen it in action while watching Pohx recently and looked like a very strong setup.

as for my question why no discipline? even with the few mana nodes you picked up i believe at level 20+linked to a reduced mana it would give more mana then it reserves and push your mana regen through the roof.
mostly asking because was thinking of running this build now ive ripped on my ice shot ranger and wanted to make use of the shield MTX on disclipline :D
tooltip dps of ball lightning is 100 % meaningless. This skill scales a lot with area of effect and projectile speed which has no impact on tooltip.
IGN TylordRampage
Hello,
Liking your build good work.
Do u know how i can calculate my ball lightning dps?
"
Fangs wrote:

Spoiler

I changed to cast speed late in my build, where i was already able to handle the extra mana cost from the faster casting. i don't think you will have many issues if you grab the regen nodes and one or two pieces of mana regen jewelry.

I'm not 100% certain, but Deodre's Tenure might actually be lowering your displayed Tooltip DPS along with actual output DPS and clear speed.

The reason is because i gained DPS by speccing out of 10% dmg nodes for the 4% cast speed instead, which is the same as getting rid of the 50% spell dmg for the 20% cast speed that the gloves do the opposite for you. Sorry i don't remember by DPS, i just remember having little to no trouble killing beyond mobs at any stage in leveling (archers and sword bros beware lol).
"
shadowraiden wrote:

always remember clear speed is more important than tooltip dps as majority of skills don't show their true damage on the tooltip, if its clearing fine then you shouldn't have too many worries.

as for build looks good and ive seen it in action while watching Pohx recently and looked like a very strong setup.

as for my question why no discipline? even with the few mana nodes you picked up i believe at level 20+linked to a reduced mana it would give more mana then it reserves and push your mana regen through the roof.
mostly asking because was thinking of running this build now ive ripped on my ice shot ranger and wanted to make use of the shield MTX on disclipline :D

High tooltip is definitely the bane to my build, i get to watch 4.2k DPS wreck 78 maps lol. I added a section explaining Discpline.
"
Malone wrote:
tooltip dps of ball lightning is 100 % meaningless. This skill scales a lot with area of effect and projectile speed which has no impact on tooltip.

Don't forget the beautiful lightning penetration =P
"
Snowmanmc87 wrote:
Hello,
Liking your build good work.
Do u know how i can calculate my ball lightning dps?

Thanks =] , I will be working on a section regarding this, the modifiers are area of effect, projectile speed, and lightning penetration that make 0 changes to the tooltip DPS, Even the change that cast speed does to the actual clear speed isn't exactly expressed by increasing the tooltip DPS.
GG GGG
Last edited by datboishagg on Sep 4, 2014, 12:32:55 PM
thanks for the reply.

fully understand why no discipline if its losing that much mana i hadn't done the numbers myself so wasn't sure was just going off what i see on other MoM+AA setups.

looks a really solid build.
Updated the current and goal passive tree to include Nimbleness.
Added "Ball Lightning DPS Calculation" Section
Added Level 93 Offense and Defense numbers.
Added a section for Discipline gem.
Added CWDT to leveling suggestion along with minor changes to the section.
Added Discipline to "Gems to level up and/or play around with" section.
Added "Elemental Reflect and Corrupting Blood" section.

"
shadowraiden wrote:
thanks for the reply.

fully understand why no discipline if its losing that much mana i hadn't done the numbers myself so wasn't sure was just going off what i see on other MoM+AA setups.

looks a really solid build.

Thanks!
GG GGG
So would you say, the Blast Radius nodes are a must have for BL for mapping? Or does increasing the aoe slightly only really have a subtle effect like it is with Glacial Cascade? Would 16% aoe have any substantial effect?

Likewise with projectile damage/speed nodes. Sniper takes 2 nodes and increases damage, so worth it for 2 points dropping a couple mana/ES nodes right?
-[2.0] Dyadus Elemental Wild Strike - Cheap and Beginner friendly! ---> view-thread/1394595
"
Fangs wrote:
So would you say, the Blast Radius nodes are a must have for BL for mapping? Or does increasing the aoe slightly only really have a subtle effect like it is with Glacial Cascade? Would 16% aoe have any substantial effect?

Likewise with projectile damage/speed nodes. Sniper takes 2 nodes and increases damage, so worth it for 2 points dropping a couple mana/ES nodes right?

You can definitely run without 16% increased AOE, I actually didn't even use the increased AOE gem until around level 90 when i 5L'd my Pledge of Hands.

If you can handle losing the mana regen from the 2 mana/es nodes then it should be ok to change to Sniper. More damage and a little bit of projectile speed is good =]
GG GGG
"
datboishagg wrote:
"
Fangs wrote:

You can definitely run without 16% increased AOE, I actually didn't even use the increased AOE gem until around level 90 when i 5L'd my Pledge of Hands.

If you can handle losing the mana regen from the 2 mana/es nodes then it should be ok to change to Sniper. More damage and a little bit of projectile speed is good =]

Ah, so its more like a luxury if your dps already meets end then. As for the proj nodes, I decided to spec out of some damage instead, gonna probably need all the mana I can get for my build. I've noticed you run herald of ice, how much damage does that add overall? Just arrived at merciless and got cloak, unfortunately out of chaos to afford other gear so resist are crap, gonna have to farm some piety later :p

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info