[1.2] $BIG$BALL$LIGHTNING$ dual totem MFer$ Cheap and end game ! ACHIEVED + VIDEO

Hi,
I've created my char (Magic_I_Like_to_Find) in the new rampage league. I was seeking to make sth quite similar to the Poorman's culler. I'm playing with my guild, so I don't seek doing any DPS, only to survive and cull every single mob. But, with 1.2, gotta make some changes.

Why never doing any DPS ?
Spoiler

"
build with 0 dps and it's called "end game" ? lol...

There are MF builds with decent dps, why nerfing you using this one ?

Show me a MF build that :
- Is as tanky as this one
- With the same amount of MF (400 IIR/ 60 IIQ + with cheap stuff)
- With the kind'of same CHEAP gear (very efficient in a new league, only need ES)
- Giving this amount of buff to the team

By the way, I've made that build to go easely in end game maps (lvl 78, Atziri) in group, and never be the "Dead Culler", the one who never stays till the boss map, cause his stuff made him squishy. I don't see the point of reaching up to 10K DPS when my mates are playing CoC and doing hundred of thousand DPS.

Why Ball lightning instead of flame totem or incinerate ?
Spoiler

Ball lightning has a pretty slow cast, yeah. But the culling "tic" (every time the spell hit a mob) isen't set by the cast. It's set by the number of balls in the mob's area.

Let me clear this up. Ball lightning hit 5 time per second. If you gad enough AOE and cast speed, two waves of balls hit a mob at the same time, reducing the "tic" to 10 times per second.

With two totems, far from fight, you got a whole area where every mob is hit by up to 4 balls at the same time ! Meaning that with Ball lightning, you can cull a mob 5 to 20 time per second.
NO OTHER SPELL CAN DO THAT.

With Increase area of effect linked to it, i can reach that 20 "tic" per second with a single totem. I'll make a video of it when i'll reach the 40 "tic" second in a whole area XD

And you can cull a whole pack with a single totem, no matter range issue.

Is this build tanky ?
Spoiler
Definetly, yeah.
I even do some contest with my guild. They enter in the arena at act III, fight each other, and try to kill the culler every time they see it. Try... :p
The only thing that can stop me is ICE.

Ice is the nemesis of this build. I could use Alpha's for more aura, more aura effectiveness and the "cannot be frozen" but... IIR on helmet is worth. Take a remove freeze pot, and u'll be fine. But it still chill totems, which isen't good for cull.

This is my Build
(updated recently 21/19/14)

Using 5 unique items :
- Solaris Lorica (for chaos)
- Heartbreaker (For culling)
- Wondertraps (100 IIR on low life, but thinking about getting one of those legacy goldwyrm)
- Sadima's (only gloves with IIQ)
- Perandus belt (belt with IIQ)

Culling spell :
- Ball lightning
- Greater Multiple projectile
- Spell totem
- Item Rarity
- Faster casting
- Blind/Increase are of effect (only when 6sl)

Auras :
- Grace
- Discipline
- Determination
- Purity of ice/fire/lightning
- Purity of Elements
- Vitality

Bandits :
- Kill
You can either get the 3 skills points
Or get some +8% resisr
Or either get some Cast Speed
No other bandit is usefull for this build.

I could run more auras, but i need to get a least 400 HP left, in order to use the Divination Distillate (Must have for IIQ)

Enough theory, what's doing IG :
Spoiler

I'm lvl 90, 4k7 ES
I never die, all my teameates die before i do
I can do runs, lead a group in lvl a 78 palace map (I mean, open doors and be the 1rst entering).

My current gear :
Spoiler

Potions :
Spoiler

When running auras, around 71% physical dmg reduction. (22K armor)
82% reduction to all elements
200 regen ES/second
I don't get any ES on helmet for now, hope i'll reach 5K ES with it.
My amazing shield (bought it for 2EX) is my main source of ES

Ball lightning is AMAZING culling. With faster casting, they are very few WHITE mobs in maps that aren't culled (running some test with asassin mark and a CoC player).
Ball lightning has a really great range ! Dident expect to be that big and efficient. With area size, makes it very effective.

How to lvl up with this build :

Spoiler

You can't go low life from the start and play culler, ofc.
You need some mana nodes and most of all, life nodes.
Start as a sommoner is a good option, but not fast enough for me (personal view).
I rather use a good old firestorm, on a +2 fire gems shield or wand, linked with everything you find. It's amazingely effective with a nice amount of life/ES and good potions. You can just run till you gad lot's of mob and cast firestorm over your head.
Practical Aplication node from the witch is very important for a caster start, for dext and str and the "not stunned" effect, that allows you to kill before being killed.
25 points
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZCPTAVGpDvOoc3A2NbAsi9FJTl_Q9Xx_HLYsreCycEZZ_xklR8NWVLgceSbHXz_k374iTJ4MJRnG0DA==

Iron Reflexes is very important. As you play with HP nodes, you gota get gear with HP.
At this point, try to rush I-R and focus on an armor/eva stuff. U'll be enough tanky for keeping playing firestorm runs. U'll also encouter your first str and dex nodes since start.
That's a relief !
60 points
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZCPTAVGpDvOoc3A2NbAsi9FJTl_Q9Xx_HLYsreCycEZZ_xklR8NWVLgceSbHXz_k374iTJ4MJRnG0DOq6DXxXySj66-5TUkWdmuCnCLiTGmydruNqNukkqhZv-tJmnpBVwBoaOKeEUUzKSm-e

You can keep playing firestorm till lvl 55-60, and even start beeoing a MFer with that spell. Culling strike, faster Casting and Item rarity are pretty much easy to find.
You can keep playing HP for a looong time, till you reach all the aura nodes.
Whenever you feel ready, put on your solaris Lorica and put off your life stuff.
If you haden't enough mana to cast every aura you want, use a Blood Magic for some aura.

Your build should like something like that :
70 points
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA34rpAv6zVyu9gm0ZHNwNjWwLIvRSU5f0PV8fxy2Lf8aTJ4MJRnG0DOq6DXxXySj66-5TUkWdmuCnCLiT-tJmnpBVwBpRTMpKb57BxewYcLsaj_ba-wkZipu1wzodquGIFy9k51XWgKQppU4qW6_dDSzpFSAqTX1brEePRh0Ums9xTVnzQ2OdxFj1tzE=

And if you wanna go totem, wait to get Ancestral Bond.
Link needed for cull :
- Ball lightning
- Culling strike
- Spell totem
- Item Rarity

- Greater multiple Projectile 5SL, without Heartbreaker

- Faster casting 6SL, without Heartbreaker

Videos

Spoiler

FORGIVE MY ENGLISH ! This is not my mother language, and I made some mistake, like percentage/flat, and pronunciation. Quality isen't the best I can do, i'll try to improve it in the next video.
Gear, skill tree and stats
Ball lightning totem effectiveness

SPECIAL THANKS :
Spoiler

- Velgor
For his interrest in my build and his pertinent questions

- dulahan200
For mentioning me in his build and his advices

- magicman77
For using this build in Beyond (shoulden't tell, but... :) and his wonderfull advices about Prism Guardian !

- Master Yi
For showing me what a MFer shoulden't be. Just kidding :p
Last edited by Kikoyou on Oct 14, 2014, 11:36:18 PM
planing something similar (not sure which skill i take for culling).

poebuilder.com

this should have 11k armor just with grace.
Last edited by Velgor on Aug 23, 2014, 12:26:49 PM
Nice choice of taking Body & Soul + Faith & Steel ! I think that 100% evasion is stronger than 100% armor (because of grace), but i'm not sure. May someone enlighten me ? But you got Zealot's Oath, wich is rlly great with that build.

Unawering stance and the 4th last percent of mana reserved are useless i think.
You don't really care about being stunned, because you don't block and leech.
and spending all that points in order go from 34% mana reduc to 38...
Made an other version of my build (dunno which one is the best).
I dident took Unnatural Calm cause this node is way to expensive for only 6% ES per point. The best about it is the 1% max resi.

Build using ZO

I'm using Ball Lightning for cull because this is RAMPAGE DUDE ! YEAH RAMPAGE !

You gotta follow the group, and be able to cull every second in a far range. What's best than Ball Lightning ? That's why i'm taking +20% radius at start. Helpfull for pexing, and you gad bigger balls (OYEAH ! RAMPAGE ! MILF POWA !)

I dislike flame totem, freezing pulse and incinerate, low range and hazardeous focus.
Arc is good, but not for biggest packs, or when targets are far one from each others.
Firestorm might not cull everything with a great DPS party

"
Kikoyou wrote:
Nice choice of taking Body & Soul + Faith & Steel ! I think that 100% evasion is stronger than 100% armor (because of grace), but i'm not sure. May someone enlighten me ? But you got Zealot's Oath, wich is rlly great with that build.

It shouldn't matter if you take 8 % evasion or 8 % armor use what needs less points (not sure about flask)

"
Kikoyou wrote:

Unawering stance and the 4th last percent of mana reserved are useless i think.
You don't really care about being stunned, because you don't block and leech.
and spending all that points in order go from 34% mana reduc to 38...

You still get 12 % effect for your auras and your party get 33 % more from it shouldn't forget about that. I didn't play ES with low life/CI yet but i think you could get easy perma stun later on with not much life and Unawering stance protects you from being frozen too... will see if i rly need that.

"
Kikoyou wrote:

Made an other version of my build (dunno which one is the best).

If you go for zealot's oath you could try something like this.

poebuilder.com

thats around 5.8 % per sec or 8.7 % per sec reg with Vitality.
With 4000 ES you reg for 232/348 per sec, would be nice to have.

I thinking about going self cast, so i can share endurance and Frenzy charges with conduit for even more support, don't know how this will effect culling.

Last edited by Velgor on Aug 23, 2014, 12:28:10 PM
"
Unawering stance protects you from being frozen

How Oo ?
I guess the only ways avoiding beeing frozem is by uniques (like auxium), passive points not far from the ranger and a tremendous max cold resist.

Btw all the builds you show are like >8 points left. I don't think i'm gonna reach the lvl 90+ for now ^^ I rather a build with 20 points left and really effective. Your build is really nice, but at lvl 93. At this point you don't care about using 20-30 regrets for swaping tree.

this seems fine 2 me
"
Kikoyou wrote:
"
Unawering stance protects you from being frozen

How Oo ?
I guess the only ways avoiding beeing frozem is by uniques (like auxium), passive points not far from the ranger and a tremendous max cold resist.

Seems like i read some wrong info about this, but it still help a little against desync problems.

"
Kikoyou wrote:

Btw all the builds you show are like >8 points left. I don't think i'm gonna reach the lvl 90+ for now ^^ I rather a build with 20 points left and really effective. Your build is really nice, but at lvl 93. At this point you don't care about using 20-30 regrets for swaping tree.
Of course i take some notes later on, like inner force and flask notes, its not that you get something important until you are 90.

One thing that bugs me about Ball lightning for culling is the travel speed for the balls it still need some time. Oh yeah i think you can't use spell echo with a Spell totem.
Last edited by Velgor on Aug 23, 2014, 8:25:27 PM
Bump
Bump
After checking wiki, it's appear that iincrease armor nodes are way more effective than increase evasion nodes for an Iron Reflexes user.
Armor nodes are working exactly like increase evasion rating & armor nodes.

So, definetly, 2nd version of the build

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info