Kaleav's lvl 100 1H+Shield Block Reave Duelist [AMBUSH 1.1.x]

1. Introduction

Greetings.
I would like to share my high block, non-Aeigs, facetanker build for endgames. This is the build of my first character in POE. I've looked at many 1H+Shield builds, mixed many features and balanced for my favors.

1.1. pros
- High survivality. He can survive even with bad latency or desynch. Lvl 100 proved.
- Able to solo entire contents up to Atziri.
- Cheap and bugeted. It costs 20 exalted when ambush was 2-months-old. It costs around 4 ex for cheaper version(the price from ambush league atm.)

1.2. cons
- Dps and clear speed by weapon. This is common problem of all defensive melee builds compared to ranged build. For example, 24k dps with 236pdps wep or 33.3k dps with 310pdps wep.

1.3 Demonstration videos

Apologies for low quality due to bad pc. Please set manually for higher quality videos.

77 shrine - double piety extra dmg enfeeble
http://youtu.be/SW7oqj4F4p0

2. Stats

Spoiler

Key Defence
- 6.3k life
- 74/68 block chance
- 5k armour 79/78/78 res
- Unwavering Stance, Iron reflex

Key Offence
- 29.8k dps self-buffed
- 35k dps self buffed + vaal haste
- +40k dps when party with nice auras
- 10% life leech
- Resolute Technique

lvl 100 offence stat

- 33.3k dps self buffed

lvl 100 defence stats

- 6.5k life
- 75/69 block chance(full)

3. Passives and bandits

Spoiler

Bandits - help Oak/help Oak/kill all

This passive tree is flexible so can be adjusted for particular gears. Weapon artistry / Precise interception / Aspect of panther look attempting but can achieve better specs with fewer pts in my setup and passives. Dex stats are somewhat useless because of RT/US/IR but this passives provide 163 dex for most dex gem/gear req. It makes easier to find gears.

My current passive at lvl 100
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLQ48EPAUIBRxFm8YkRjbGYUaMho4GlUabButHRQhYCP2JJskqiXfJy8nTymlNDU26DbpOJY94kCgQXREgUd-SO5KfU4qUEdRYFPfVElVxlb6WNtZ81pIW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcH1yqXTtdPF2K3iueu982YCKhNmE74d2i0-PRpBVkHSZK5uDn8ugtKSspzCnhKmVq8Wsqqyvr6K3F7fTvJ-9gb6nwA_AGsEEwQfDhs9l0NDSTdN-137dDeNq45_kUeeR567qGO4O7w7veu_w8YryL_MG8933MvdN-Ov60vuq_MU=

break down
Spoiler

+323 to Strength
+213 to Dexterity
+74 to Intelligence
+425 to maximum Mana
+951.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 314
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
4.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
112% increased Physical Damage with Swords
286% increased maximum Life
+12% to Chaos Resistance
Enemies Cannot Leech Life From You
31% additional Chance to Block with Shields
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
75% increased Melee Physical Damage
8% increased Attack Speed with Axes
18% increased Attack Speed with Swords
12% increased Armour
136% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating
125% increased Defences from equipped Shield
9% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
You take 20% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes
8% increased maximum Mana
52% increased Physical Damage with Axes
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
Cannot Evade enemy Attacks
Cannot be Stunned
15% increased Life Recovery from Flasks
20% increased Attack Speed
32% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
20% increased Accuracy Rating
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
+10% to all Elemental Resistances
+3% to maximum Fire Resistance
+3% to maximum Cold Resistance
+3% to maximum Lightning Resistance
40% increased Block Recovery
+14.8% Energy Shield
+64.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+426 Accuracy Rating
42.6% increased Evasion Rating

Passives at lvl 90
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLQ48EPAUcRZvGNsZhRoyGlUabB0UIWAj9iSbJKonLydPKMUppTQ1Nug26TiWQKBBdESBR35KfUw1TipRYFPfVElVxlb6WNtZ81pIW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcH1yqXTtdPF2K3rvfNmAioTZhO-HdotPj0aQVZB0mSubg5_LoLSkrKcwqZWrxayqrK-vorcXvJ-9gb6nwA_AGsEEwQfDhs9l0NDSTdd-3Q3jauOf5FHnkeeu6hjuDu8O7_DxivIv8wbzvvPd9zL3Tfjr-tL7qvzF

When having at least about 0% chaos resistance and q20 blood rage gem,
Respec blood drinker node and invest pts into dps/life nodes.

Core passives at lvl 84 - cheaper ver.
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLQ48EPAUcRZvGNsZhRoyGlUabB0UIWAkmySqJy8nTyjFKaU0NTboNulAoESBR35KfUw1TipRYFPfVElVtVXGWK9Y21nzW69fP2BLYSFko2VNZp5noG5pcH1yqXTtdPF673zZgIqE2YTvhymHdo9GkFWZK5uDns2fy6C0pKynMKmVq8Wsqqyvr6K8n72BvqfAD8AawQTBB8OGz2XQ0NIh0k3Xft0N42rjn-RR55HqGO8O8YryL_MG877z3fcy9033vvjr-tL7qvzF

General idea for leveling

33pt
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLRRxGlUkmzboR35T31ivWNtgS2EhZKNlTW5pcql07XrvfNmAioTZhO-ZK5uDpzCrxayvvYG-p-oY9zL3Tfjr
Grabbed RT first

73pt
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLQ48FHEY2xoyGlUhYCSbJy8nTymlNug26UCgRIFHfk4qUWBT31RJVbVYr1jbWfNbr18_YEthIWSjZU1mnm5pcH1yqXTtdPF673zZgIqE2YTvmSubg57Nn8ugtKSspzCplavFrKqsr7yfvYG-p8AawQTSIeNq45_kUeoY7w7xivIv8wb3MvdN97746_rS-6o=
Grabbed US/IR and marching toward Phalanx.
Can use int/dex node between duel/marauder for gear/gem req.
Also can use resistance nodes along the way as progress through cruel/merciless.

4. Gears

Spoiler

4.1. mandatory gear

The stone of lazhwar amulet and Rainbowstride are core for this build because they provides great amount of spell block. The higher max mana option is the better for this build.

It would be great to have 4% chance to block spell in lazhwar but you can igonore the corrupt option for cheaper version temporarily.

In addition to the above items,
+34 int option / 2% pdmg leeched as mana option should be gained in gears.

4.2. Other gear suggestion

Weapon
1H sword of high pdps. Higher dmg over higher aps recommended.
1H sword of ~250pdps works for cheaper version. (1 ex atm i ambush) It would enable you to go 77, 78 maps but it might be hard to take down 78 bosses before flasks got emptied.

Shield
At least 35% block chance, at least 500 armour or evasion.
Plus high max life, and necessary resistances.

Chest
6L, high max life, resistances, and high armour/evasion would be great.
For cheaper version, 5L chest works up to merc piety and tabula Rasa does so up to end maps.

Gloves, Helms, rings, blets
Again, life and resistances. But should have 34 int and 2% mana leech among them.

Flasks

3 life flasks - seething or bubbling of frozen/bleeding/shock dispells
1 resistance flask - choice of resistance depends on the map/boss
1 utilty flask - quick silver + additional armour is varsatile but granite + add arm works for vuln map mode.

4.3. My current gears
Spoiler

------
Flask settings

Alternative flasks

As you can see, my gears are not the best and still have rooms for improvements.
I spent ~20 ex when ambush server was 2-months-old for these gears. It is not cheap but it is reasonable amount of currency one can found as progresses. Note that it is relatively cheap compared to other builds for end games. Will be improved when I decided playing in standard far future.

4.4. Examples of gears for Cheaper version
Spoiler

5. Skill gems

Spoiler

6L RRRBGG Main : Reave - Multistrike - Melee physical damage - Concentrated effect - Faster attacks - Added fire damage
It would be good to have all q20 but don't need to buy quality gems if not rich. Just using vendor recipe of gcp + lvl20 gem = q20 gem is enough.

4L RRBG Aura : Reduced mana - Hatred - Tempest shield(or purity of elements) - Molten shell(or Purity of fire)
Run hatred and tempest shield for most cases. High level molten shell(manual) would improve survivality when opening strong boxes or reaching toward bosses.
I think RRGB have high flexibility for various situations. - Use purity of fire instead of tempest shield against 76 crema boss or atziri. Use purity of elements for elemental weakness map mods, etc.

4L RRGB Trigger 1 : Lv1 CWDT - Lv5 Enduring cry - Lv5 Enfeeble - Lv5q20 Blood rage
q20 on enduring cry is recommended but not required.
Use any other favored skill instead of blood rage for cheaper version.

4L RRRR Trigger 2 : CWDT - Enduring cry - Immortal call - Increased duration
q20 on enduring cry and immortal call is recommended but not required.
Choice of trigger level is up to max life/armour ratings but recommend at least Lv5 CWDT.

3L RGG Movement : Whirling blades - Leap slam - Faster attacks
Only level up faster attacks in order to keep mana level higher.

3L Support : up to user's choice.
I recommend any attack skill - item rarity - culling strike for solo farming bosses. It boosts 60 IIR which i s expensive to obatin by gears.

6. Playstyle, map modes, and settings

Spoiler

6.1. Playstyle
As shown in the demonstration video, defence system of high block combined with mitigations by immortal call and resistances enable ones to do facetank most bosses.

For example, 2 triggers would get 2 end charges then convert into 3 secs of immortal call when 1on1 boss fight (4 secs if have mobs around). 10% life leech capped at leech efficiency (20% of max life per sec) will recover 60% of life during immortal call duration. So it's safe to facetank and keep hitting most bosses than hit&run strategy.

The only weakness of this build lies in possibility of getting one shotted by huge physical damage bosses such as 78 domi, 74 vaal, Atziri. So definitely need to hit and run for those bosses cleverly. Lightning coil could be the solution for this weakness but it's very hard to set up resistance capped to max.

Many people dies when opening boxes of ice nova or poison mods. But I found it is safer to stand with molten shell and leech life via attacks than taking risk of bad desynch from running away. Want to note no deaths from strongbox since Lv 88 or 90(long time passed so cant remember exactly) even if I stand next to it.

6.2. Map modes
One can do most map mods without problems. But want to note several risky mods for this build.
- Regen penalty map mode are crucial to this build because of blood rage. But it improves survivality greatly for all other mods. Moreover, there happens mana insufficiency problem in 50% regen mode even with 4% mana leech. Can clear with 1 mana flask and taking a time inbetween mob packs for mana recovery... but very risky and inefficient.
- Can do Blood magic map mod without aura. But it is very risky to go bm + regen penalty mods.
- Can do minus max resist map mod but it's risky because of roughly double elemental dmg taken. I recommend reroll minus max resist mod with high elemental dmg bosses like 76 crem or 72 torture chamber.
- Reflect mods are not a big problem because this is RT build.

6.3. Rare shield vs Aegis Aurora

I've tried Aegis aurora with current setting. With current setting, max ES ~450, armour ~4k, and 71/65 block would replenish 80 ES per block. On average, 2 out of 3 attacks are blocked so Aegis aurora reduce ~160 damage reduction when hit, which means I have 160 additional life(or es) regenerated by per block).

On the other hand, when I am using my shield, it provides 3% more block, 1k more armour, and 300 more life, which results into ~80 damage reduction when hit, 60 more life leech per sec, 80 more life regen from chaos resistance. Moreover, in this regime of block chance, 3% more block chance is great improvement ( 26% vs 29% chance to take hit is 10% difference.) So it clearly has advantage over Aegis unless using legacy Aegis.

First draft written on 12th June. Will revise and update more. Please feel free to suggest any improvement on my build, I would be happy to listen to it.

Edit note :
2014-08-14 added passive break down and lvl 100 stats/passive for record (to analyze the upcoming passive change)

Last edited by kaleav on Aug 14, 2014, 4:28:34 AM
Last bumped on Sep 10, 2017, 4:07:37 PM
A1. Soul taker variant
This section is for record purpose.

Spoiler

A1.1. gear changed

A1.2. Current passive tree - lvl 100

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQAAecFLQ48FCAUcRZvFy8YkRmFGjIaOBpVGmwbrR0UI_YkmySqJd8nLydPKaU26DbpOJY94kF0RIFHfkjuSn1OKlBHUWBT31RJVcZV1lb6WNtZ81n-Wkhbr18_YEthIWSjZOdlTWaeZ6Bqk25pcH1yqXTtdit4rnrvfNmAioCkhNmE74d2i0-PRpBVkHSZK5stm4Ofy6C0pKynMKeEqZWrxayqrK-2QbcXt9O8n72BvqfAD8AawQTDhs9l0NDSTdN-1e3dDeNq45_kUeeR567qGO4O7w7veu_w8YryL_MG8933MvdN-Ov60vuq_MU=

A1.3. Stats

A1.4. Ambush results

A1.5. passive break down

Spoiler

+323 to Strength
+193 to Dexterity
+74 to Intelligence
+425 to maximum Mana
+951.5 to maximum Life
Evasion Rating: 314
+3 Maximum Endurance Charge
+3 Maximum Frenzy Charge
+3 Maximum Power Charge
4% Additional Elemental Resistance per Endurance Charge
4% Physical Damage Reduction per Endurance Charge
5% Attack Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
5% Cast Speed Increase per Frenzy Charge
50% Critical Strike Chance Increase per Power Charge
4.5% of Life Regenerated per Second
274% increased maximum Life
+12% to Chaos Resistance
12% increased Radius of Auras
Enemies Cannot Leech Life From You
31% additional Chance to Block with Shields
12% of Block Chance applied to Spells
4% additional Chance to Block while Dual Wielding or holding a Shield
75% increased Melee Physical Damage
8% increased Attack Speed with Axes
8% increased Attack Speed with Swords
22% increased Armour
136% increased Physical Damage with One Handed Melee Weapons
Converts all Evasion Rating to Armour. Dexterity provides no bonus to Evasion Rating
125% increased Defences from equipped Shield
9% increased Attack Speed with One Handed Melee Weapons
You take 20% reduced Extra Damage from Critical Strikes
16% reduced Mana Reserved
72% increased Physical Damage with Axes
20% increased Accuracy Rating with Axes
8% increased maximum Mana
52% increased Physical Damage with Swords
Your hits can't be Evaded
Never deal Critical Strikes
12% increased effect of Auras you Cast
+2 to Melee Weapon and Unarmed range
26% increased Attack Speed
Cannot Evade enemy Attacks
Cannot be Stunned
15% increased Life Recovery from Flasks
40% increased Evasion Rating and Armour
Ignore all Movement Penalties from Armour
20% increased Accuracy Rating
3% increased Effect of Buffs on You
+10% to all Elemental Resistances
+3% to maximum Fire Resistance
+3% to maximum Cold Resistance
+3% to maximum Lightning Resistance
40% increased Block Recovery
+14.8% Energy Shield
+64.6% increased Melee Physical Damage
+386 Accuracy Rating
38.6% increased Evasion Rating

reserved
Last edited by kaleav on Aug 14, 2014, 4:05:41 AM
Bump / updated lvl 100 stats and passive break down.

i NEED YOUR SKILL TREE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info