Unable to Connect to Login Server

I started out by installing the game on steam, and was "unable to connect to the login server". After reading that this was a common problem, I installed the client from POE's website, and created an account. That client also gave me the same error. My girlfriend is using the same internet connection and is able to connect without issue. We both use StrongVPN.

Traceroute Below

Spoiler

1 66 ms 68 ms 66 ms 1.34.68.68.client.dyn.strong-sf78.as22781.net [8.68.34.1]
2 100 ms 99 ms 68 ms sfca-gtwy.reliablehosting.com [68.68.32.65]
3 79 ms 68 ms 67 ms 10Gig-2-1.sjc01.reliablehosting.com [216.131.94246]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 76 ms 76 ms 76 ms ae7.bbr02.eq01.sjc02.networklayer.com [173.192.8.165]
6 76 ms 77 ms 76 ms ae0.bbr02.cs01.lax01.networklayer.com [173.192.8.151]
7 77 ms 77 ms 76 ms ae7.bbr01.cs01.lax01.networklayer.com [173.192.8.166]
8 110 ms 109 ms 110 ms ae19.bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com [173.19218.140]
9 109 ms 109 ms 109 ms ae0.dar02.sr01.dal01.networklayer.com [173.192.8.253]
10 145 ms 148 ms 145 ms po2.fcr05.sr06.dal01.networklayer.com [66.228.18.223]
11 112 ms 110 ms 114 ms 173.192.44.22-static.reverse.softlayer.com [173192.44.22]

Trace complete.

Last edited by mauledkitten on Nov 6, 2013, 10:44:23 AM
If you're both on the same internet connection, then the only variable here are your PCs.

You're connecting from the same place, to the same place, but only one of you gets connected. My guess is Antivirus or Firewall, or some other process that is filtering packets (or blocking them). K9, etc. These can all cause problems if they're not disabled or have exceptions set up.
"
Drakier wrote:
If you're both on the same internet connection, then the only variable here are your PCs.

You're connecting from the same place, to the same place, but only one of you gets connected. My guess is Antivirus or Firewall, or some other process that is filtering packets (or blocking them). K9, etc. These can all cause problems if they're not disabled or have exceptions set up.

I had the same thought. In order to test this theory, I disabled my fire wall and tried again with both the steam and the raw POE client. Both returned the "Unable to Connect to Login Server" message. Also, I use a router but have eliminated that as the problem by attempting to connect straight through my ethernet connection. Also did not work.
"
mauledkitten wrote:
I had the same thought. In order to test this theory, I disabled my fire wall and tried again with both the steam and the raw POE client. Both returned the "Unable to Connect to Login Server" message. Also, I use a router but have eliminated that as the problem by attempting to connect straight through my ethernet connection. Also did not work.

Just because a piece of software isn't exactly a "firewall" doesn't mean it can't still interfere with the packets and cause problems. That's why I specifically outlined K9 as one of them. It's not exactly a firewall, but it will certainly prevent access in a lot of cases. There are other "peer protection" type applications as well that do the same.

Somewhere on your PC is something that is causing your problem. The trick is locating it.
"
Drakier wrote:
"
mauledkitten wrote:

Just because a piece of software isn't exactly a "firewall" doesn't mean it can't still interfere with the packets and cause problems. That's why I specifically outlined K9 as one of them. It's not exactly a firewall, but it will certainly prevent access in a lot of cases. There are other "peer protection" type applications as well that do the same.

Somewhere on your PC is something that is causing your problem. The trick is locating it.

I'm not sure what K9 is, could you tell me how I could find it on my system if it's there? (Windows 8). Is there any other software that could cause this problem you can think of off the top of your head?
I have no idea what you've installed on your PC.

Windows has some default firewall crap it installs (as well as possibly Defender or Security Center). I'm not personally a Windows user so I can't say for sure... but often times there are a lot of items installed that you don't want or need.. especially if you bought the PC with Windows 8 on it from a store.

PC manufacturers are pretty bad about installing a bunch of crap on their PCs out the door.. Antivirus and other "Protection" software. Whenever I get a new PC, first thing I do is Format it and re-install the OS myself from a clean OS disk (not using their crappy Restore DVD).

Then I know exactly what software I have put on it and it's just a matter of configuring the software I've installed (and Windows).
"
Drakier wrote:
I have no idea what you've installed on your PC.

Windows has some default firewall crap it installs (as well as possibly Defender or Security Center). I'm not personally a Windows user so I can't say for sure... but often times there are a lot of items installed that you don't want or need.. especially if you bought the PC with Windows 8 on it from a store.

PC manufacturers are pretty bad about installing a bunch of crap on their PCs out the door.. Antivirus and other "Protection" software. Whenever I get a new PC, first thing I do is Format it and re-install the OS myself from a clean OS disk (not using their crappy Restore DVD).

Then I know exactly what software I have put on it and it's just a matter of configuring the software I've installed (and Windows).

Any tips on how I could track the problem software down since re-installing the OS isn't an option? (I don't have a clean install disk). Some kind of tests I could run maybe?
I'd probably go through the "installed programs" list. In the Control Panel (what used to be Add/Remove Programs). There should be something about the Software that is currently installed in Windows. I'd look through that list. See if anything stands out that I either:

A) don't know what it is
B) know what it is and could be causing a problem
If anyone is interested, I was able to fix the problem by changing the server my VPN was hosted on. I use strongVPN, and for some reason POE didn't like the server I was using.
my girlfriend is having the same problem what did u do to solve it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info