Portal Gem rarity?

Having a portal gem makes a huge difference in how i play the game. It takes much longer to cash in all the loot without this all-important item. Buy why are they so rare? Do the only drop in low level zones. I managed to get one from the prison area of Act 1 - Normal difficulty. I've spent over 100 hrs leveling my various characters in the game, and in all that time spent playing i've only seen one portal gem drop!
gotten one myself on standard but still hoping for one on Dominion as it makes such a huge convenience selling items haha.

They do seem rare though, but what isn't?

to answer your question though if you got yours in act 1 Normal then no, they don't only drop in high-level areas ;)

http://poestatistics.com/users/seibar/
ive clocked at least 500 hours and dropped 3 of them, i just have one 2 linked with cast on death now
"
bradeh1986 wrote:
ive clocked at least 500 hours and dropped 3 of them, i just have one 2 linked with cast on death now

That is the first good idea I've heard for cast on death :)

Dropping three in 500 hours feels like luck to me, I've played so many characters over the last 8 months and have only ever had one drop. I might just be the exception but they certainly drop less frequently than the other drop only gems.
IGN: _Blue_Box_
they only cost a few chaos orbs right?
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I've found one. Easily 500 hours, but I'm pretty sure I'm well past 500 at this point. I sold it anyway, I didn't like it. I'd rather use the huge amount of extra TPs I always end up with anyway.
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."
"
Nephalim wrote:
they only cost a few chaos orbs right?

Yeah. Not sure on every league, but generally 3-4 chaos.
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."
I haven't found one yet either.
"
Toon963 wrote:
Having a portal gem makes a huge difference in how i play the game. It takes much longer to cash in all the loot without this all-important item. Buy why are they so rare? Do the only drop in low level zones. I managed to get one from the prison area of Act 1 - Normal difficulty. I've spent over 100 hrs leveling my various characters in the game, and in all that time spent playing i've only seen one portal gem drop!

RNG.

I have found like 7 portal gems, every single one week / event I have ever participated in.
Found 3 so far. Sold 2 for some chaos orbs the other im using with cast on death.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/913599 <--- mirror Thread
Last edited by PaladinSMD on Nov 2, 2013, 3:59:58 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info