[28] bear traps and evasion

Bear traps are a nice addition to pvp and while many argue they are too strong, I do not feel the same, except in the case of evasion builds.

As I understand the time a character will be immobilized with a trap depends on the amount of dmg dealt by the trap. Is this correct?

Now if you are an armor user, with lets say 50% dmg reduction a bear trap may immobilize you for a 1-2s. But if you are an evasion character you will take much higher dmg in the first place and than you will be immobile for a much longer period of time in which your opponent can choose a way to kill you.

This is a serious disadvantage for eva builds which are scarce as it is.

My suggestion would be to improve the system so eva chars can evade traps - trap triggers off but without trapping the character or dealing dmg. This would probably need another trap accuracy modifier to be added to the game - bu it doesn't have to be very complocated. It can be made that a trap of a certain lvl has a certain amount of accuracy.

What do you think?
items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
I think traps are too strong in lvl 28 pvp for thsi same reason, you can't evade them, and they can stunlock you. Personally I dont think traps and totems should even be in pvp but thats just my opinion. At the very least you should be able to evade them. As far as the accuraccy issue, they can work off the players accuracy rating. Unfortunately though traps are considered 'spells' and always hit so i don't know how they can do this but it's a good idea.
Beyeser - 77 Marauder
FuzzyClam - 80 Witch
FishyTaco - 74 Witch
I come to these conclusions

1. traps should not be considered spells but as attacks so evasion users can have a viable defense

2. traps should have an innate accuracy rating for each lvl

bear trap lvl 1 accuracy 100
bear trap lvl 2 accuracy 150

which can be modified by increased accuracy gear, accuracy support gem linked to a trap and increased accuracy passive skill points (not the specific ones - bow accuracy, 1h melee accuracy would not count obviously)

This would probably make traps block-able by shields which is a desired thing too I believe in pvp.

Last edited by missuse on Nov 24, 2012, 9:14:02 AM
Ever been crit in open pvp by a trap? It does like 9k thru 12k armor

"
EpsiIon wrote:
Ever been crit in open pvp by a trap? It does like 9k thru 12k armor

yea they should be nerfed
Are they not being subject to the PvP damage penalty? Something seems fishy about how much damage they traps can do after what should nearly be a 90% damage reduction at higher levels. Even with huge crit multi, are people's trap tooltips seriously saying their traps will do nearly 100k damage?
I agree that currently Bear Trap along with Ethereal Knives is a direct counter to evasion. If you step into a bear trap you either die instantly - I have been killed by 1 trap with 3k hp in open bracket - or get locked down and catch more traps. Melee characters can at least use Whirling Blades to get away but there is nothing archers can do.

I agree that damage numbers seem weird with how damage is supposed to scale down. My ranger without any spell damage would take huge chunks of life/es with unsupported bear trap.

Because traps can be thrown down before you even get to your opponent it might promote a very passive gameplay where you only wait for your opponent to come to you because stepping into a trap might end the match right away.
I've wondered the same about Tempest Shield, for what is detailed as relatively marginal damage compared to skills which cause about ten times as much damage it seems as though the scaling may not be entirely uniform. But then I'm not the most astute observer so my limited evaluation could easily be amiss.

speaking from personal experience I have about two or three persons that make for an 'equal' battle in terms of skill, character design, itemisation and effort. After which players either cannot win or will win for reasons that have not so much to do with skill as much as questionable design features (which is not to say many who do easily beat are not better players, just that that particular difference is moot all the same). And as much as I think about these issues it is really hard to see how balance can be accomplished that does not generate other complications. Bear traps (and others eventually) are a good example in that without some method of disrupting particular designs and skill combinations my character would be stun-locked almost long enough to reduce full health; measures to adequately change that outcome (yet more stun recovery) as a presumably feasible counter probably costs more whilst simultaneously empowering other aspects of those types of character/skill designs. There is also the issue with designs that can regenerate sufficient health over time that not capturing them at a critical time to finish a round will exact a cost from health, mana and flasks used up to that point. Which in turn leads to mid and late round issues about flask resources. Thus whilst I agree Bear Trap should not be such a universal skill for the same reasons that it happens to be an almost ubiquitous skill choice any changes made would need to take into consideration related consequences.
Every pvp system has this bracket, its gotten to the point that pvp has ceased to be pvp, and is more about using the most effective "Gimmicks" as possible.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info