How do races work?

Pretty new to POE, just started up a week or two ago, and I've been seeing a lot about these races. As I understand it, you're awarded points for these races and get an award at the end of the season based on those points, but does anyone mind filling me in on the rest of the details?

Some things I'm wondering about:
Do you have to actually win to get points?
Where are races held? Is it softcore or hardcore style?
Is there any reason to race outside of the final prizes?
What happens to the characters? If there's over a hundred races that you can participate in, would you end up with hundreds of characters lying around...and in what league?
Is there any reason to join races this late into the season?
Are races generally for more experienced players who really know what to do, or would a newbie like me get some benefit out of racing as well?
Great questions, I'll be following the thread for the answers. I've bin wondering the same thing myself.
"
Phylaris wrote:
Pretty new to POE, just started up a week or two ago, and I've been seeing a lot about these races. As I understand it, you're awarded points for these races and get an award at the end of the season based on those points, but does anyone mind filling me in on the rest of the details?

Some things I'm wondering about:
Do you have to actually win to get points?
Where are races held? Is it softcore or hardcore style?
Is there any reason to race outside of the final prizes?
What happens to the characters? If there's over a hundred races that you can participate in, would you end up with hundreds of characters lying around...and in what league?
Is there any reason to join races this late into the season?
Are races generally for more experienced players who really know what to do, or would a newbie like me get some benefit out of racing as well?

1. You have to reach whatever level you need to earn points in that specific race. For example in the next solo race coming up (1 hour solo turbo) lvl 5-7 is 1 point, level 8-10 is 3 points, level 11-13 is 4 points etc. Meaning if you get to level 11 and survive at the end of the race you will earn 4 points.

2. Not sure what you mean by win.. you just have to survive.

3. Hardcore. You die you do not earn any points

4. The prizes you receive right when you have enough points. 7 points for the lowest prize meaning you could earn that after one race if you do good. There are also random prizes that people can win for earning points in that race like a raffle system thing...

5. After the race if your char survives it is transferred to hardcore. Then you can keep playing it or just move your equip to stash / sell then delete char if you want.

6. You can still win the raffle prizes / earn points for prizes.. there is no reason to not join this late in the season unless your aiming for top in season ladder.

7. You can still earn points by being pretty new... but if you are wanting to reach the highest level point brackets / possibly win first in your class you will need to practice.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585 That is a guide I made for getting through act 1 in a race. It can help new players get to act 2 a lot faster.
General Racing Guide for Act 1
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/366585

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info