Last week, game directors Jonathan Rogers and Mark Roberts sat down with Ghazzy and DarthMicrotransaction to discuss Path of Exile 2 on the Tavern Talk podcast. If you missed seeing it live, check it out in the video below!

Jonathan also did an interview with Kripparrian recently, which you can check out here.

If you have questions about Path of Exile 2, head on over to the Path of Exile 2 Subreddit. Jonathan is keeping a close eye on it and has answered a lot of questions there already, so be sure to check it out!
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
you can fix divination cards by making them sets of individual cards and spreading the individual parts of the set around so that way every map has potential to drop a valuable card from a set. so market will force players to farm other maps when there's an overabundance of one vs the others.

how do you fix the newly created issue of multiple stacks to a set? well, something you slot those cards into to hand in!

i'm just imagining a 6 socket / 4 socket item much like body armor and gloves/boots where you socket the cards into to exchange

call it a divination tablet

so at minimum players would need to farm like 6 maps just to get a HH or Mageblood. And you could rotate the drop chance of the cards so kind of push people into other maps.

with less items dropping, you can focus divination to be generally more rewarding this way and make cards have two different outcomes... hand in tablet/collection to get a larger reward or hand in a stack for an alternate reward

then you can also have blank tablets to allow the community to discover divination recipes some of which can include some obscenely valuable cards.
Last edited by DopeyFishX on Jan 7, 2024, 3:32:00 PM
I watched this yesterday I think.

great interview, every time mark and jonathan talk i feel like i agree with almost everything they say which gives me a lot of hope for poe2.

i feel like often with poe its not that the devs dont agree certain problems exist its more just they havent got around to fixing it yet or the problem is so deeply rooted into so many systems and theres such a weight of player expectations and resistance.

i know some people are unhappy with the split but sometimes you just have to start again from the ground up, its the right thing to do and i think time will prove them right on the decision.

the difference in scope between realistic hopes back in 2011 vs what you know you can achieve now in 2024 must be so vast. it would be crazy to limit yourselves by staying chained to decisions made 12 years ago.

the new philosophy on crafting makes me so happy btw.
This was a real eye-opening interview for me. I'm quite excited for PoE2 now.

Thanks to both Ghazzy & DM for asking questions about the core vanilla experience like item weight and filters.

Thank you Jonathan and Mark for always being so transparent & honest with your answers.

But, I am concerned about the default filter situation. They mentioned for Path of Exile 2 that the goal is to not need a filter. Well, that was the goal for Path of Exile 1 at the beginning, and the GGG/Default Filter combo did a horrible job keeping up as the game moved on.
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
I watched both interviews and so far I like what I am hearing. I have a small suggestion for additional content in PoE2 (not related to the content in the interviews though). I personally grew up starting with the Nintendo, then SNES, PS1, PS2, and eventually the PC. The type of games I liked to play were ARPGS, and RPGS. I would like you to think about some games that you liked to play when you were growing up or even currently, specifically, games that had mini games within.

For example, in the game Final Fantasy 8, a full blown ARPG, the game had a minigame that is accessible from nearly the start, it was called "Triple Triad" and it was a card game. You would approach NPCS and press a button to see if they had a deck to play. You were given a base deck, and if you lost the match against the NPC, the NPC would pick a card from play and he would take it(The best card usually). If you won, vice versa. You could then replay him to regain the card you lost, or try him again because you know he has a good card that he didn't use. It was an excellent addition to the main game, and actually fun. To find the best cards, you had to explore for yourself, check many NPCS, and you could find great cards through other means. The cards themselves were monsters you would fight, and there were cards of the main characters of the games, as well as notable good and bad NPCS. This card game could be completely skipped and it would have almost no impact on the main game.

Something like this would be cool to see in POE2. There are other examples in other games that have things like this. Look for inspirations in other games, not just the main game, but the minigames within the main game. There could be good ideas there. Just thought I would share IMO, a great mini-card game within a main game as potential inspiration for ideas and thoughts. (potentially relating to divination cards? who knows!)
Last edited by TheFARMBOT2000 on Jan 7, 2024, 4:28:36 PM
Are you guys going to have a balance team for PoE2? Or can we expect rares to be harder than every end game boss with 50000% atk spd and unkillable regens still?

I'll be honest even with this league being amazing, my faith in balance is gone.
This was such an amazing interview.

Not that I was not excited, but the more I hear the more excited I become. Hearing some of the reasons for some of the changes that are coming just feels so reassuring.

I also really like that it feels real. Please never stop Jonathan from going off on tangents and dropping some curse words from time to time, it makes it feel like I'm sitting in a room with my friends.
Last edited by sumfight on Jan 7, 2024, 5:28:40 PM
"

For example, in the game Final Fantasy 8, a full blown ARPG, the game had a minigame that is accessible from nearly the start, it was called "Triple Triad" and it was a card game. You would approach NPCS and press a button to see if they had a deck to play. You were given a base deck, and if you lost the match against the NPC, the NPC would pick a card from play and he would take it(The best card usually). If you won, vice versa. You could then replay him to regain the card you lost, or try him again because you know he has a good card that he didn't use. It was an excellent addition to the main game, and actually fun. To find the best cards, you had to explore for yourself, check many NPCS, and you could find great cards through other means. The cards themselves were monsters you would fight, and there were cards of the main characters of the games, as well as notable good and bad NPCS. This card game could be completely skipped and it would have almost no impact on the main game.

This is a thing in FFXIV! There's a ton of NPCs to challenge and they add more consistently with the expansions. Really fun and reminds me of GWENT from The Witcher, just a lot more of it.
I want to rock right meow
"
DopeyFishX wrote:
you can fix divination cards by making them sets of individual cards and spreading the individual parts of the set around so that way every map has potential to drop a valuable card from a set. so market will force players to farm other maps when there's an overabundance of one vs the others.

how do you fix the newly created issue of multiple stacks to a set? well, something you slot those cards into to hand in!

i'm just imagining a 6 socket / 4 socket item much like body armor and gloves/boots where you socket the cards into to exchange

call it a divination tablet

so at minimum players would need to farm like 6 maps just to get a HH or Mageblood. And you could rotate the drop chance of the cards so kind of push people into other maps.

with less items dropping, you can focus divination to be generally more rewarding this way and make cards have two different outcomes... hand in tablet/collection to get a larger reward or hand in a stack for an alternate reward

then you can also have blank tablets to allow the community to discover divination recipes some of which can include some obscenely valuable cards.

I honestly think this would be a great approach. Making it so you turn in a set of several cards rather than just one card would alleviate most of the annoyance of having to farm a single map. It could work similarly to creating the Tower of Ordeals and, in the same manner, you could have some drop from specifically map bosses if you wanted.

You could possibly even have a few combinable sets. For instance 3 cards give you an influenced jewelry and 3 others give you a level 100 amulet. Combine them together and you get a level 100 influenced amulet.

My one concern is that keeping track of all the card combinations would get annoying once we're back up to hundreds of different cards. I'm sure decent UI could sort that out though; maybe the div card vendor/stash tab lets you search by item class or something.
Don't often post on here much but have to just say I loved the interviews. Looking forward to the future for the game and I think the game split is the right decision. gg, love mark and jonathan as well
"No wonder it's lost.. its in the middle of the jungle!"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info