On Risk Vs. Reward

I'm currently enthralled by Baldur's Gate 3. I can't stop playing it.

It's so easy to see the appeal of RPG's and I'm sure as aRPG players you might enjoy this...

In the game I spoke to a certain NPC. He promised to help me solve an issue and I obliged. It was a risky thing. Having played PoE for so long I'm so accustomed to Risk = downsides, but what happened next surprised me.

Spoiler

I let a bard thread a needle behind my eyeball (which failed). Next, he tried something sturdier (an Icepick). He proceeded to stab behind my eyeball trying to reach the taphole and in the attempted he accidentally plucked my eyeball out.

As a PoE player... I fully expected just a downside, but to my surprise the entire ordeal was fruitful! I gained a valuable item.

Spoiler

A relic. An eye to replace my lost organ. Now, I can see invisible creatures that are me.

I know... this is completely off topic, but I'd thought I share. Maybe GGG could implement fun dialogs and risk-reward situations like this one. Choices... if you may...

Well, back to bg :)
~
The Mirror of Kalandra and user retention (view-thread/3489839)
Why not throw the ring into the sea? (view-thread/3488268)
Beware of misinformation on good leagues (view-thread/3514952)
Last bumped on Aug 27, 2023, 3:14:32 PM
the thing about a standalone game like BG is that they aren't trying to capitalize on FOMO.

The game you buy is the game you play, every playthrough, unless there's a major plot-derailing or crashing bug.

By offering inconsistent rewards, semi persistent and persistent world MMOs and ARPGs reinforce poor decision-making and FOMO is a blunt tool to create artificial demand for something that realistically has very poor odds to begin with.

That's why BG can afford to give honest and meaningful rewards for risks chosen by the player. Because they already have your money.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Finally bought BG3, very impressed so far.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info