My (Standalone) client periodically lags (not internet latency/lag)

I'm having an issue where the game regularly lags for a few seconds (5s or more), then continue functioning normally.

This happens while I'm in maps, town or my hideout. Here is an imgur album showing some screenshots with performance monitor visible, you can see the recurring "hills" in the graph. they happen every few minutes, regardless of what connection I'm using (Wifi, ethernet, or 4G tethered through usb).

https://imgur.com/a/qD8wyLr

I'm running the game on an NVMe, is there a way to upload the Dxdiag report? if not, my current setup is:
CPU: Intel Core i5-113557
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: GeForce Mx 450 2GB
Storage: 500GB NVMe

before buying this laptop (2 months ago), I used to play the game on a PC that's a few generations older, without any such thing happening.
old PC specs: SATA SSD, i3 8400 CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon Rx550 2GB VRAM

I tried switching between Dx11 and Vulkan, clearing the game's cache, and doing a clean re-install of the client, but none of these solved the issue.
I also did the windows extensive RAM test, and an SSD health test, both of which showed no issues.

I'm wondering if any of you have encountered a similar issue before, or have an idea on how to resolve it.

thanks a lot for your time.
Last bumped on Mar 24, 2023, 1:06:36 PM
"
I'm having an issue where the game regularly lags for a few seconds (5s or more), then continue functioning normally.

This happens while I'm in maps, town or my hideout. Here is an imgur album showing some screenshots with performance monitor visible, you can see the recurring "hills" in the graph. they happen every few minutes, regardless of what connection I'm using (Wifi, ethernet, or 4G tethered through usb).

https://imgur.com/a/qD8wyLr

I'm running the game on an NVMe, is there a way to upload the Dxdiag report? if not, my current setup is:
CPU: Intel Core i5-113557
RAM: 16GB DDR4
GPU: GeForce Mx 450 2GB
Storage: 500GB NVMe

before buying this laptop (2 months ago), I used to play the game on a PC that's a few generations older, without any such thing happening.
old PC specs: SATA SSD, i3 8400 CPU, 8GB DDR3 RAM, Radeon Rx550 2GB VRAM

I tried switching between Dx11 and Vulkan, clearing the game's cache, and doing a clean re-install of the client, but none of these solved the issue.
I also did the windows extensive RAM test, and an SSD health test, both of which showed no issues.

I'm wondering if any of you have encountered a similar issue before, or have an idea on how to resolve it.

thanks a lot for your time.

Please make a 300+ packet WinMTR report to the instance IP where this is happening WHILE it's happening.
Weird, the issue has been persisting for months, but as soon as I installed WinMTR it stopped happening at all.

I'll update the post with the MTR report when the spikes show up again.
It just happened again during a Delve session, here's the WinMTR report.

https://pastebin.com/z131GZRb

I experienced 2 major spikes identical to the ones seen in the screenshots above, and 3 minor ones. When the spike happens, the game gets very stuttery and my graphics become very blurry for the duration, then everything goes back to normal.

Last edited by BlitzillaGaming on Mar 16, 2023, 10:50:25 AM
"
It just happened again during a Delve session, here's the WinMTR report.

https://pastebin.com/z131GZRb

I experienced 2 major spikes identical to the ones seen in the screenshots above, and 3 minor ones. When the spike happens, the game gets very stuttery and my graphics become very blurry for the duration, then everything goes back to normal.

Do you have "dynamic xxx" (forgot the name) enabled ?? If yes, disable that.
Are you running vsync ?? If not, have you then limited your FPS using the ingame limiter ?
Also please try to set Texture to MEDIUM and sound channels to LOW.
If you mean Dynamic Culling, I do have it enabled (iirc someone in a 5way rota suggested that everyone enable that for stability or someting). I'll disable it.

I have Vsync disabled in game, but enabled in the NVidia control panel, when I bought this laptop I did some research and apparently it's better to do this stuff (Vsync, Anti-Aliasing, etc) from the GPU controller. I'm not an expert on the matter, so I may have misunderstood some of those directions on tech forums. I'll look for a way to reset my NVidia settings for PoE, and change the ingame settings as you suggested.
I reset all my NVidia settings to default, and lowered the ingame stuff as suggested, but the spikes are still happenening

https://imgur.com/a/PLU1Wjl

The first 2 screenshots are in the same map on the 19th, and the last two happened just now, 30 seconds apart while I was idle, reading my sanctum map.

here are my current settings

Far as I could tell from your images its caused by the red (CPU) graph. Unfortunately your description wasnt properly clear as to the circumstances of it happening. But it does suggest its caused by something else on your system using too much CPU and not PoE. If you use some CPU monitor and/or process viewer or some such thing it should be visible whether thats the case or not.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
Last edited by Zrevnur on Mar 21, 2023, 12:17:14 PM
"
Zrevnur wrote:
Far as I could tell from your images its caused by the red (CPU) graph. Unfortunately your description wasnt properly clear as to the circumstances of it happening. But it does suggest its caused by something else on your system using too much CPU and not PoE. If you use some CPU monitor and/or process viewer or some such thing it should be visible whether thats the case or not.

during my initial research into the issue, I found this thread. Would it be related to the CPU usage you suspect to be the cause? If so, I could try to figure out how to do the fix suggested in the thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/t1d01u/performance_guide_secrets_of_stuttering_how_i/
Last edited by BlitzillaGaming on Mar 24, 2023, 12:25:23 PM
"
"
Zrevnur wrote:

during my initial research into the issue, I found this thread. Would it be related to the CPU usage you suspect to be the cause?
Possible. But you wrote "periodically" whereas in that thread it says "randomly". If both those wordings are correct/appropriate then its unlikely - but not impossible either - to have the same cause.

"
If so, I could try to figure out how to do the fix suggested in the thread.
Looking at task manager is IMO easier and safer and generally (for other things) beneficial so I would do that first.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info