ä ë ï ö ü

Of the five 'umlaute' in the title only ë ï ü can be used to create names (at least those are the only ones that worked when I tested just now - maybe I made a mistake?).

The German language also knows an ä and an ö. (probably some other languages too, like Turkish)

Is it really possible that after 10 years of PoE we can still not use ä and ö when creating names? The game has been fully translated into German. (and Chinese and Korean....)

I'm sure some letters of other languages are missing too. What about many Scandinavian letters?

edit: @GGG - please increase the amount of usable characters of as many languages as possible for character name creation when you find the time (in the next 10 years), thx.

edit 2: I'm not asking for special signs and characters. I'm just asking for the complete availability of the regular alphabets of their respective country.
“Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it.”
― Christopher Hitchens
My QoL List: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3279646
Last edited by Antigegner on Jun 19, 2023, 5:44:14 PM
Last bumped on Jun 19, 2023, 10:18:48 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Antigegner wrote:
Of the five 'umlaute' in the title only ë ï ü can be used to create names (at least those are the only ones that worked when I tested just now - maybe I made a mistake?).

The German language also knows an ä and an ö. (probably some other languages too, like Turkish)

Is it really possible that after 10 years of PoE we can still not use ä and ö when creating names?

I mean, the game just doesn't support every character set on Earth. Why is that a problem? You can't use ž or ć either.
"
GregoryAdams wrote:
"
Antigegner wrote:

Is it really possible that after 10 years of PoE we can still not use ä and ö when creating names?

I mean, the game just doesn't support every character set on Earth. Why is that a problem? You can't use ž or ć either.

in the year 2022...

@GGG: please increase the amount of characters across as many languages as possible for PoE 2. +10 years is enough time. thank you.

@GregoryAdams:

1.) many languages have been completely integrated yet some essential european characters for various languages are still missing - why? (10 years have passed)

2.) The game has been FULLY translated into German language WITH ä and ö of course - yet....you can't use those two characters when making names...

― Christopher Hitchens
Last edited by Antigegner on Dec 1, 2022, 4:23:43 PM
up
― Christopher Hitchens
I remember they had to change the original name of Tāne (from Metamorph league) in Tane because "a with macron" was a character that not all Game Client were able to render. It appears clear there are some technical limitation in the game engine itself that won't allow for every possible character to appear ingame.

That said, if the game already has those character ingame it would appear logic they should get to be eligible also for character names. Unless there is a very odd technical limitation which depends on their binary representation and some specific in the character name table's encoding
For a graphical interface to support the full unicode standard, which is just shy o f 150.000 characters, it would require an enormous amount of coding and graphics design.

From a cost point of view, staying with a restricted character set makes sense. It doesn't impact gameplay whatsoever, it'll have no impact on revenue, and it doesn't need to be maintained and supported.
if we're using "in the year 20XX.." as argument for everything that the game is missing this company wouldnt have all the free passes it constantly gets when they mess up.

it's the year 20XX and tggg still dont have payments for most countries for example.. but someone will come and tell me "just pay with CC that simple d0d"

shrug it's an unending battle.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
Maybe I didn't express it clear enough - my bad:

The game is FULLY translated into German (for years now) with ALL German letters available but NOT for character name creation.(....in the year 2023...)

I'm not asking for special signs and characters. I'm just asking for the complete availability of the regular alphabets of their respective countries.

― Christopher Hitchens
Last edited by Antigegner on Jun 19, 2023, 8:31:59 PM
"
Antigegner wrote:
Maybe I didn't express it clear enough - my bad:

The game is FULLY translated into German (for years now) with ALL German letters available but NOT for character name creation.(....in the year 2023...)

I'm not asking for special signs and characters. I'm just asking for the complete availability of the regular alphabets of their respective countries.

Texts displayed in game and user names might be very different the way they are being handled in the code.

We cannot conclude / judge without actual knowledge of how PoE's code works though, but I can definitely see how it could be a problem.

Now, the only real question is : is it something worth changing to GGG ?

I live in Japan, should GGG allow any Japanese letter for character name creations ? I mean, it would be nice probably, but I would never expect it for sure (even only the phonetic alphabets, I would not expect it)
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info