Spell Suppression and some other things

Hello I would like to give me feedback on Spell Suppression and i will make a short remark on some other things at the end.
Im talking here from a purely HC(SSF) perspective so my opinion might differ to SC Trade.

Spell suppression is INCREDIBLY strong, in fact it is so strong that apart from very few niche builds every build feels forced to run 100% SS.
And even the builds who can't would be better if they could, but they simply can't.
Every gearing process on every character feels the same and quite boring at the moment.. Armour/Evasion hybrid gear with spell suppression & Grace + determination.
I have talked to quite a few HC people and they all agree that SS is too powerful to not get it but it doesnt feel good to be forced to get it.

Anyway i would propose to make changes to SS in the way it works;

- SS should be available on all base types, not just evasion.

- SS should always have a 100% chance to reduce the damage and depending on how much SS you get you get more damage reduction up to a maximum Limit of X, lets say 30% in this case.
So 100% of the current spell suppression would give you 30% DR, 50% of the current SS would give you 15% DR and so on.

-The SS nodes on the right side of the tree could further improve the maximum limit of DR up to 50% like it is now, this would give right side tree still a signifcant advantage when it comes to damage reduction.

This would make low amounts of Spell Suppression viable on all builds and you dont feel forced to always get 100%
Also with such a strong defensive layer i think its really unfair that only evasion based gear can take advantage of it.

Some other things that i wont go into specifics but i think that need to be looked into:

Spectral Helix is very strong but overall i think in a good spot damage wise, i think a lot of other skills are a bit lacking in comparison.
Its almost comical on how many classes & builds spectral hexlis is the superior choice of leveling.

Champions permanent fortify is incredibly strong, on top he gets a lot of flat armour and evasion. Its VERY strong defensively in the current meta, either bring other ascendancies up to this level defensively or nerf champ.

Buff Glad :( Why does necro with bone offering and little investment get way higher block numbers than glad with big investment? Also bleed could use a buff.

Overall i would like to see more build diversity in high end HC content, maybe not all in the same league but general meta shifts from league to league.
I think big meta shifts every league were overall good for the game to keep things fresh.

Thanks for your attention :)
Last bumped on Apr 12, 2023, 1:18:05 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
lol champion only has defense going for it, other ascendancies actually bring damage to the table to so those balances are fine.

Spell suppression is intended to be an evasion character mechanic, you can get 60%+ very easy on the tree alone without really ruining routing. making it so it always reduces damage and the % you have ups the DR only makes it more mandatory for other builds just having it at the lowest amount is would be extremely powerful, other builds need to invest into spell block(not hard to get as long as you can get to top or top left of tree(or even just near glancing blows + GB + Tempest shield) or just max res in general.

a better way would be to revert the #'s available on gear, but make it weaker in general, but have evasion based notables have +%'s amount suppressed. This would let anyone who wanted to invest into getting it 100% from gear, but have a weaker version of it than an evasion character.

lets just hope a glad rework is coming soon, currently you only use it for bleed explosions and the loss of spellblock and the nerf to the if blocked recently ascendancy point(before it was easy to get 200% increased physical damage(not attack specific and ensure you were always block capped in a large pack of enemies from blocked recently bonuses) from this... now its attack damage is lucky and overwhelm(which you easily cap outside of this)) makes the ascendancy not really viable outside of bleed builds(because explosions).

the versatile combatant keystone on tree is just to weak to consider as well, only usable by evasion characters because of how heavily it hits attack block.
"
dorkdude2 wrote:
lol champion only has defense going for it, other ascendancies actually bring damage to the table to so those balances are fine.

Spell suppression is intended to be an evasion character mechanic, you can get 60%+ very easy on the tree alone without really ruining routing. making it so it always reduces damage and the % you have ups the DR only makes it more mandatory for other builds just having it at the lowest amount is would be extremely powerful, other builds need to invest into spell block(not hard to get as long as you can get to top or top left of tree(or even just near glancing blows + GB + Tempest shield) or just max res in general.

a better way would be to revert the #'s available on gear, but make it weaker in general, but have evasion based notables have +%'s amount suppressed. This would let anyone who wanted to invest into getting it 100% from gear, but have a weaker version of it than an evasion character.

Block is completely useless 25% of the time while spell suppression is halfing incoming spell hit damage by 50% 100% of the time.
Glancing blows is even worse in that regard. 65% of damage 75% of the time, compared too 50% damage 100% of the time.
Besides that its much easier to get 100% spell Suppression than it is to get 75/75 block.
Also it forces you into a 1-hand+shield playstyle which can be bad for melee builds, while SS doesn't do that.

While block is undoubtly nice to have as an additional defensive layer, I dont think in terms of power these 2 defensive mechanics even come close to each other in comparison.

But regardless, we both agree that Spell Suppression needs some changes.
cant compare ss to block: one is mitigation, one is avoidance.
From what I've seen, block seems to work best when it's combined with life or ES gain on block, especially when using Glancing Blows (which looks mechanically suspect, but works well in this case).
Max Res is notably stronger than Spell Suppression.
That's why they took an unnecessary dump on Melding of Flesh.

You either get 88-90% Res or 100% SS. Having 100% SS and 78% Res doesn't do much.

The perk of Spell Suppression is you don't need to use a shield for it's full value. As the current AN situation promotes though only Bows are worth building like this. DW and 2H is just a joke.

A fault in the passive tree lies on the upper two wheels with avoidance. The north side of the tree is in a weird spot. You can't get much Defense in that area. It's all on the bottom or right sides.

I agree Aura stacking has gotten dumb since the defense changes but it's also always been kinda dumb. I feel Blessings / Guard / Focus are a much better way to implement buffs. Not sure why you care about Champion Fortify. It's more an issue that there's only two wheels and they're right next to Duelist when every starting point can melee. That's the biggest pigeon hole right now.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
"
raVyoli wrote:

- SS should be available on all base types, not just evasion.

- SS should always have a 100% chance to reduce the damage and depending on how much SS you get you get more damage reduction up to a maximum Limit of X, lets say 30% in this case.
So 100% of the current spell suppression would give you 30% DR, 50% of the current SS would give you 15% DR and so on.

I was wondering if someone had already suggested this by now, so SS gives flat Spell DR 1/2 of the increased %, but unfortunately they went with the 'Lucky' variation...
OP "demands changes" but I'm sure it's asking for nerfs than anything else.

The last thing this patch or further patches need is even more players nerf while keep the "power creep" (yes, I did use that buzzword that most of you love to use it wrong) the monsters every single league and patch.

Rather than asking for SS changes why not go for the dev's that KILLED gladiator ascendency that used to be the block to go back then.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
Actually Armor and Evasion based builds should NOT be having Spell Suppression.
Only Energy Shield based ones should have it.
Since
ARMOR is phy damage reduction.
EVASION is a way to avoid ANY kind of damage already.
while Energy Shield is.. well nothing but a magical HP..
So.. SS should be only part of ES builds and based on the volume of ES a player have.
Or at least Spell Suppression should scale differently on the different armor types.
You need to buy more stash tabs, and play months to fill them with items which to be deleted by GGG.
Last edited by BlazeSTX on Apr 12, 2023, 8:11:28 AM
"
RedHenrik wrote:
From what I've seen, block seems to work best when it's combined with life or ES gain on block, especially when using Glancing Blows (which looks mechanically suspect, but works well in this case).

does it matter if you get 100 life/es for blocking the first 10k hit when the second one smashs your head?
spell supress reduce dmg consistent and thats what it makes this strong.
i never play without it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info