Alchemist's Mark

Post your feedback for this skill here!

Make sure you concisely state your character build, level, and other complimenting abilities you have when you talk about a skill - The more we know about your character, the better we can understand your feedback.
Last bumped on Dec 17, 2023, 4:17:38 PM
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Immoteph on Sep 7, 2022, 7:34:19 PM
the one build i actually want to use it on (pc) its kinda bad to use on it cuz it doesnt do high single dot damage ... just a lot of small poisons stacking oof ... but really want to use it for the flasks but if thats it then why use it over snipers mark or a curse oof ... it litterally is called alchemist mark after all so i thought it would synergize the best with flask skills more than anything but i was wrong
Last edited by Akutaru on Sep 7, 2022, 6:15:42 PM
I'd echo the feedback already posted. I tried it on 2 builds - a hexblast ignite elementalist, and a saqawal twister poison assassin.

On both builds the problem was that it's boost was fairly generic, and it was outclassed by other available curses or marks.

My opinion is it needs more of an identity, especially as it will primarily be used Vs single target. Off the top of my head, something like;

Ignite and poisons you inflict deal damage 30-50% faster.
Whenever an ignite or poison expires on a marked monster, gain a flask charge (no more than x per second)
IGN: Starlight_Seraphim
Last edited by Starlight85 on Sep 7, 2022, 6:42:50 PM
I have used this on two builds so far in a mostly SSF 3.19 setting (small private league).

Build 1 was a poison build that attempted to apply a single very strong poison (via ambush + perfect agony + dual strike + 300% increased damage poison mastery + alchemist's mark), with Pathfinder poison proliferation. Alchemist's mark in particular was decent damage-wise but fairly clunky to use - even with increased AOE support and Pathfinder chaos AOE ascendancy the caustic ground size was mediocre and it would have to be frequently reapplied as enemies moved around (somewhat inconsistent with the slam-like single-poison playstyle I was imagining). Overall, I got this build to yellow maps but abandoned it as it felt too weak to go much further, which I attribute to a lack of support for the single-large-poison concept (it seemed tough to scale a 60%-base-damage-over-2-seconds poison to be comparable with, for instance, a 360%-base-damage-over-4 seconds ignite, even using the tools mentioned above).

Build 2 was an ignite (frostblink) build. I used alchemist's mark for a bit to try it out, but soon replaced it. In my opinion alchemist's mark has very little upside over flame surge for an ignite build - the damage difference is minor, and the opportunity cost of using it is massive as you lose out on a Flammability or Ele Weakness (and with the rise of Archnemesis mobs, I feel that reducing or penetrating resistances is critical).

Overall on both builds I felt that the Alchemist's mark AOE was a bit small, and that it was somewhat awkward that to do anything to an already-ignited or already-poisoned enemy, you'd have to apply the mark and then re-apply the ailment. Whereas for example Despair or Flame Surge would both work on an already-poisoned or ignited enemy.
Last edited by lygophile on Sep 7, 2022, 11:24:39 PM
Using Alchemist's Mark currently on my pathfinder.

Focused only on the poison aspect and trying to apply 1 big poison instead of stacking and went with hexblast. I have 1200% increased damage with poison on a non-poisoned enemy from mastery and low tolerance cluster jewel nodes. very fast and fun build and Alchemist's Mark caustic ground more than Doubles my damage output, takes me from 2 mil to 4 mil dps so i would say it does a pretty good job for aiding single target if built around properly.

Things i don't like.
1. The Area of effect of the caustic ground is still rather small even though I have it supported by increased area of effect. since most tough bosses you'll be kiting and repositioning a lot they will just walk out of it very easily.

2. Even before i had my flask generation automated through pathfinder i will say the flask charge gain mechanic was hardly even noticeable so maybe that needs a buff to properly fulfill its identity.
Last edited by Scorpio_X94 on Sep 11, 2022, 8:26:30 AM
I am currently trying to implement it into my Ignite Arc Elementalist.

My main problem I face is the application of the mark. Mark on Hit Support, Curse on Hit Support, Mark on Hit Rings, Bane... nothing works or exists. I have to selfcast the mark on the boss, which I do not want to do, because its clunky and I get too close to the enemy.
The design of this mark would've been alright if there was any support for this type of playstyle already existing in the game, as we stand all poison builds rely on multiple tiny hits, helix, poison conc, bv, bf bb, scourge arrow; one way this could be fixed is if lets say poison conc would get its shotguning removed and instead receive a 430% more dmg buff (the equivalent of losing gmp and greater volley), it will not only look and play way better BUT it will also fit the theme perfectly.
One issue I have with this skill is that Alchemist Mark doesn't create burning or poisonous ground for allied or minion hits, only the player. I would really like for this to be changed as I had once considered making a mark support build only for those hopes to be dashed since it only applies to self.

It really feels like there's some pullback towards support builds in poe (as shown by the design of link skills that literally murder the player when a linked ally dies, making it not hardcore viable).
State of Beyond Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3441741

State of Blight Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3470384

State of Harbinger Mechanic: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3473629
Trying this out on on a cobra lash build just for a bit of help with flask sustain. Did a multi minute fight with an act boss and ran out of charges except for quicksilver flask that I never pressed. Never did I get a flask charge, this skill is bugged or else I was just getting flask charges to the quicksilver, either way it would be safe to remove the flask charge line from the skill as it is useless and or bugged. The caustic/burning ground is nice but on its own with very little ways to scale it makes just about any other mark more value.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info