For today's news post we spoke with OmegaAxis to learn about the backstory of creating a series of Divination Cards: The Journey, The Side Quest and The Destination.

Good day/evening.

As you likely saw from the reddit post when 3.18's cards were revealed "The Destination" was the final entry into the series with the "The Journey" and "The Side Quest".

"The Journey", first released way back in Synthesis, was meant to honor a key turning point in my eldest son's life, entry into school. As with any kid, school often represents that beginning to see life outside the house, and really start to experience the greater world. The reward, a Harbinger orb, was meant to represent a key to those adventures. As we know Harbinger orbs were great during their name sake league for filling in your atlas semi-quickly and opening up the beachhead map to see that lovely portal. At the time there were no Harbinger cards as of yet either, so it also opened up that league's content to the core game along with the other cards released that league.

"The Side Quest" would later be released with Blight, and technically was supported by my wife who also plays. Timed roughly 1 year after "The Journey" was submitted, it was meant to snapshot a few occurrences going on in my son's life, notably his ability to only befriend girls from his class. In fact during his birthday he only invited girls to his pool party. This was expertly represented on the card with the artwork heavily favoring the women Masters, and poor Niko fading in the background. The original reward was the Master seeks help prophecy, which of course represents a quick distraction from your main task with master missions. With Prophecy removed it was swapped to a full stack of scouting reports which keeps with the theme of finding alternate activities.

Finally, "The Destination" is meant to represent the true goal of any one's life: belonging. In the image our young hero walks to the sunset with a Karui girl he has become sweet on, ready to start a new adventure together. Our son of course found himself in a similar situation, at the ripe old age of 6. The reward here was meant to represent a capstone item, with a healthy gamble built in. One can only hope for that perfect triple hatred Watcher's Eye with reservation efficiency and corrupted blood immunity.

All three cards' flavor text was meant to feel very Dr. Seuss inspired. It was, after all, dedicated to a kindergartner.

"Oh the places you will go, the sights you will see, the things you will meet."

"You'll never know the things you miss if you keep your eyes closed."

"You may be nothing to everybody, but you are everything to somebody."

Finally, in each card the family dog is also featured, our venerable husky. She is the oldest of all of my children, and still remains a cornerstone to the household.

The goals of each card was just to remember those slice of life moments, and provide utility to the game with the first two, and a big money gamble to the final entry.

With each iteration we were thrilled with the artwork as the artist managed to nail the intended scene from just my few lines of text.

The game has been a joy, still going strong since Domination. And soon enough I'll have my own lootbot with my son playing some cyclone or fire build.

Thank you team!
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
very nice
The Destination Div Card must clarify what item lvl of Watchers Eye we will get!
https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/22t8mi-2.png
IGN @SexyMilf
Last edited by ProGameZ on Jun 5, 2022, 5:07:53 PM
These are always lovely.
Confront those who dare obstruct the transmission of your information with swift rejection, for they sit silently obsessing over your submission.
Cool
Persistence makes impossible possible, possible likely and likely definite. Yep, Mirror will drop eventually -_-
This is so lovely
Very nice stories!
Yet to see one single "The Destination."
(2-3-2019) Buff underused skills (3.23?!)+ selfcast, stop nerfing defense, build in threshold jewels (3.23?!), implement D3-style looting, add death log + MTX preview, actually rework flasks, stop balancing around the .01%, unnerf Harvest, ADD NEW WAYS TO LEVEL, finally implement Loot 2.0
The Husky in all of the card<3 Tells a really good adventure <3
A very nice read, thank you ;)!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info