Font text corruption really bad this league.

I'm sure you have plenty of bug reports since it's been a problem for years..

but with this patch the font corruption bug where the letters are all crazy jumbled is REALLY REALLY BAD. It's happened many many times in the past 24 hours. It's to the point where I can't even read the mods on items and have to restart while I'm in an instance.

It would be super if this could be resolved some time soon, it's making the game unplayable.

Thanks.

EDIT: After 6 years, and many portals lost, on May-30-2022 hotfix 3.18.0d is available which *should* fix this bug. Yay!

"
Fixed a longstanding bug where text could become mangled.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3277058
Yet another unpaid Path of Exile 2 Alpha Tester.
Last edited by TwentyFiveEX on May 30, 2022, 9:48:28 PM
Last bumped on Jun 2, 2022, 9:28:13 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I just started the game. Went into a map and immediately, font is corrupt. Why do you not care about fixing this bug? It has been a problem for YEARS. I have never seen another game with this same bug. I can't engage with parts of the game because I can't READ what the choice are! THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.

The constant font corruption is so bad that it's also affecting the store. I'm not going to buy anything where I can't actually read the text in the menu. PLEASE address this bug as it makes parts of the game totally unplayable without a client restart, which itself has consequences. Don't punt this to "Fixed in PoE 2.. 2025!".

When is this bug scheduled to be fixed? I can't buy MTX because of it.

Last edited by TwentyFiveEX on May 28, 2022, 4:08:24 PM
Browsing gggtracker I noticed there might be an update on this bug (after ~6 years!), from 2 days ago over on Reddit. From what Chris is saying, it sounds like it's a simple fix.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/uzsp4a/is_this_uber_betrayal/iad56vo/?context=3

For such a huge thing, I would expect to see a wider upcoming-announcement post about it. Also, I absolutely loathe having to go to a 3rd party, toxicity-promoting, social forum (Reddit) for official updates. It's great that it (might) be fixed here, but it's also disappointing that it has taken so long to address a game-interrupting bug like this.

I know GGG doesn't really provide technical post-mortems, but as a technical person, I'd like to better understand how/why it took so long to fix and what ultimately the fix was, once it is deployed.

Crossing fingers..
Last edited by TwentyFiveEX on May 30, 2022, 8:16:37 PM
No where did he say it was simple. He merely stated that they found out what actually caused it a few days ago, as of that post.

This has always been a low priority bug. It's a simple workaround to restart the game to get things back to normal and this was in no way a "huge" thing.

That said, as others mentioned on Reddit, a Dev post about this ubiquitous bug that's been going on would be really neat to see.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on May 30, 2022, 8:36:38 PM
"
Aragorn14 wrote:
No where did he say it was simple. He merely stated that they found out what actually caused it a few days ago, as of that post.

This has always been a low priority bug. It's a simple workaround to restart the game to get things back to normal and this was in no way a "huge" thing.

Fair, but the tone makes it sound like they pulled it up on a whim "a few days ago" and changed a 1 to a 2 and it's ready to ship with the next release.

While I get that it's been a low priority bug for years, I would disagree that it should be treated as such, especially with how frequent it has manifested in this league. The impact is huge to the player in many situations. No one should have to throw away a portal (much less, multiple portals) and restart the game as a "work around", especially in the heat of trying to engage in the game mechanics where time-spent is a major factor. For someone struggling to clear some of the more challenging content, the workaround can be even more of a heavy burden on the player. Just my opinion, though. Once it's fixed, high-fives all around, and we move on..

+100 to a "what we learned, how we got here", as an educational exercise, once it's all fixed and there's time set aside to do that type of disclosure. Maybe a verbal rundown on the next baeclast or something..? We'll see.
"
TwentyFiveEX wrote:

Fair, but the tone makes it sound like they pulled it up on a whim "a few days ago" and changed a 1 to a 2 and it's ready to ship with the next release.

Honestly, this probably IS the fix, the issue was finding the BUG. As a software developer myself I'm guessing there was probably one overflowing value that was adding incorrectly or something. Hard to track down, super easy to fix.
For anyone interested: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3277814

<sniffle> You will be missed krangled text bug...
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jun 2, 2022, 9:28:53 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info