Syndicate encounter abandoned

An ongoing issue with Syndicate encounters being immediately abandoned upon entering the map. This has been happening for at least a two years but it is becoming more frequent. I explain my theories below

First, describing the problem. Entering any zone where Jun / Syndicate Betrayal is active spawns 1 of the 4 encounters. Sometimes (10%?) the encounter is marked as Abandoned There is no mission failure message, no indication at all on screen that it has hapoened.

You CAN see it by checking the map overlap to see current quests, where the game shows "Encounter abandoned." This happens immediately, before you even take one step.

* Transportation

This encounter is the most frequently.abandoned in my experience. It happens most often on tight, congested maps like Cells and Dungeon but I have seen it happen even on relatively walkable maps like Underground Sea. Only truly open maps like Desert seem immune to the abandonment bug.

I suspect that the game attempts to find a clear walking path from the random spawn forthe Transport caravan, fails, and at some point it just... gives up?

* Fortification

Like Transportation I suspect there is something wrong with how the Fortification is placed and the game just has an aneurysm. You can usually find the empty Fortification on the map with nothing guarding it.

Again I suspect the game cannot spawn the Fort and gives up, as this also happens more often on maps with cluttered terrain.

* Research

This one confuses me. When the Research encounter is abandoned you can actually find the entrance to the laboratory, but it is not interactable. Similar to abandoned Fortifications. Due to the smaller size of the Research entrance I guess the game is better about placing these, but Research can also become abandoned.

* Intervention

I do not specifically recall seeing Interventions being unceremoniously abandoned, but it is possible that I just haven't noticed because there is no trace. That being said, I do not recall seeing this happen when I specifically summon Jun from the Map Device, unlike the other 3 encounters.

Due to the Intervention encounter being a simple enemy spawn, this would make the most sense for the game to not fail the placement as easily.

Things I have ruled out:

* 100% Intel Safehouses are not the cause. I did do some looking around and there is a
theory that if a Safehouse is or will be "ready" it immediately abandons the encounter.

This is not accurate. As far as I can tell, "ready" safehouses simply block out that encounter type entirely from being chosen, and in fact you cannot summon Jun at all if all 4 Safehouses are ready, similar to how Alva cannot be summoned once the Temple of Atzoatl is ready.

More to the point, I just had a Research encounter abandon on Courtyard T16 with Research intel at 57% and no active prisoners.

On a related note, entering a Conqueror arena while any Syndicate encounter is still active also immediately abandons the encounter. This behavior is easily reproduced, but the random abandonment happens even when running maps with zero Conqueror influence.

I have not tested extensively but Vaal side areas and Abyssal Depths seem likely to also trigger abandonment.
Last edited by Icemage_999 on Sep 19, 2021, 6:09:36 AM
Last bumped on Sep 28, 2021, 7:26:00 AM
Thanks for your report.

We're aware of this issue and are working on a fix.
"
Adam_GGG wrote:
Thanks for your report.

We're aware of this issue and are working on a fix.

Any idea when we can expect a fix? And it would really help if the current known issues/bugs got updated once in a while so we don’t need to keep making threads for KNOWN issues.
Update:

I was wrong about Intervention being immune to Abandonment.

I have been paying more attention and even Intervention can become immediately abandoned.

Transportation still Abandons most often.

Research and Fortification are about equal.

Intervention only abandons occasionally.

What seems to help:

* Avoiding overloading the map with extra monsters from Sextants, Scarabs or Modifiers. The lower the map pack density and the fewer extra monsters are added, the less likely Abandonment seems to occur.

What does not matter: Whether you summon Jun from the map device or getting the encounter as a natural Master event. Both cases can become Abandoned.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info