Maven's personality is really annoying

It hit me almost immediately upon hearing her talk. Instead of her sounding like a goddess, she sounds like a bratty teenager. In comparison, Catarina is a goddess. A very strong female personality that fits that role really well. Hearing Maven only say 1-2 words at a time doesn't give her any backstory or dept of character. And if it does, it's an annoying self-entitled brat. And while that might make sense to some degree (because she's a goddess and gets whatever she wants), it's just annoying.

I honestly expected more from GGG after how excited I was about the Echoes trailer. That got me so pumped about the league. But now when I hear the Maven talk, it's very off-putting and doesn't fit her role in the game. I really hope this gets changed.

I hope this helps
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2021, 4:07:09 AM
"
Bxdx wrote:
It hit me almost immediately upon hearing her talk. Instead of her sounding like a goddess, she sounds like a bratty teenager. In comparison, Catarina is a goddess. A very strong female personality that fits that role really well. Hearing Maven only say 1-2 words at a time doesn't give her any backstory or dept of character. And if it does, it's an annoying self-entitled brat. And while that might make sense to some degree (because she's a goddess and gets whatever she wants), it's just annoying.

I honestly expected more from GGG after how excited I was about the Echoes trailer. That got me so pumped about the league. But now when I hear the Maven talk, it's very off-putting and doesn't fit her role in the game. I really hope this gets changed.

I hope this helps

Maybe it's just me, but I kind of get it in a way. The first thought I had at first: "she's like a child".

But going on the story, the Envoy tells us that there are many entities that are like the Elder, but different at the same time. It would make for these entities, which are eternal, to have different personalities. Form the two we know so far, the Elder was an all consuming cancer with absolutely no empathy or emotion (well maybe it had some hatred somewhere inside >.>). It simply wanted to consume everything. The Maven is portrayed as a being as old as time that is simply bored. She wants to be entertained. As for her speaking manner, maybe she just doesn't know or care to know how insignificant beings as humans talk. Maybe she's a child among those eternal beings, maybe she's just weird.

Yeah, it's weird at first, but it can make sense if you think about it.
Yeah it makes sense. But it’s still annoying. They could have chosen a number of different personality types but instead they chose one that nobody respects. Sure Catarina is evil but at least she is an adult. All other bosses we face in this game are badass. But then I hear Maven’s voice and I want to put her on mute. It ruins the experience. Every other part of her is great, like the mechanics behind the fight and whatnot. And every single boss we face and the stories behind them are great as well. And they all lead up to the great and powerful end boss of Maven. But then she opens her mouth and ruins everything.

She is a powerful boss who doesn’t have a powerful personality. She has a very weak personality and it’s confusing and annoying.

I digress. The game is awesome and I want to make it better and I feel like this would help.
I kinda went the other direction with it.

These aren't exactly personalities or gods. They're eternal Cosmic forces.

They have an intelligence but are ultimately driven by what they are, not who they are. The Maven may only have a small grasp on communication as we know it which is somewhat the purpose of the Envoy in this situation. He very much looks like he used to be humanoid at some point.

By comparison the Elder was able to speak more easily because it had consumed the Shaper's memories. The Elder itself is otherwise similar by just being this driving cosmic force personified.

I do agree the voice is a bit silly but doesn't bother me too much. From this thing's perspective. We "made shock waves through the void" and "got their attention". The Maven was the first to purposely come to us so they obviously have a some basic curiosity that ties to their cosmic purpose.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
Again, while it only kind of makes sense, it’s still annoying.
It's not so much her personality then the ridiculous heavy-handed voice acting done on the part of the VA.
I don't know if they did this on purpose on GGG instructed them too. But's poorly done and I should know what I'm talking about. I've worked in the biz.

Not to be rude but; The character is annoying, they don't fit the role and just throw off the whole immersion of the character.

But then again we have;
Spoiler
Alva, Jun, Aisling as other super annoying female VA's.
Last edited by Monstarella on Feb 21, 2021, 12:06:49 PM
"
Bxdx wrote:

I hope this helps

she is a compassionless vain childlike tyrant.
her story is told through the Envoy... he is her care taker and explains most of her persona and motivations throughout the atlas.
Delirium ended...
But the Voices never did.
Last edited by Fauxxx_NL on Mar 24, 2021, 4:06:10 PM
Also, the deeper you are in the atlas (higher tiers), the better hers diologues are.

It happens that she does not know human language well in the first encounters, so she learns (through our character too), how to speak, human feelings, motivations, etc.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info