[3.11] Infernal Cold Assassin | Maximum Dodge | Winter Orb + Ice Spear + Infernal Cry
Inspired by classic Winter orb + Ice Spear builds. Though this time an Assassin rather than Trickster:
- A very fast build
- Can clear all content
- Winter Orb auto aims for the nearest targets, debuffing and cursing them without having to stop moving.
- 100% critical chance with Ice Spear, and up to 6 million damage.
- Very tanky with a maximum attack avoidance chance of 95% and spell avoidance 75%
- Doesn’t require cluster jewels to function.
- Depends on flask maintenance, making it harder to go against Sirus and bosses without adds.
- Small life pool, so more susceptible to physical damage if you get unlucky.
- Not cheap to gear up.
- Uses many unique items, and it is tight on resistances.
How does Ice Spear work with Unleash?
Here comes the heavy hitter, as Ice Spear hits with 30 projectiles, or 40 projectiles with one cast, it makes it ideal for single target damage. Projectile counts are as follows:
- 2 standard projectiles from base skill
- 4 additional projectiles from two “Beltimber Blade” swords
- 2 additional projectiles from “Dying sun”
- Then comes Unleash, repeating the skill, and shooting 8 projectiles 4 additional times (within same cast time of skill)
- 4 Seals from Unleash takes 2.36 seconds to fully replenish. But you can shoot them at any moment, with any number of seals ready.
You can calculate your maximum single target damage by taking the “Average Hit” damage from Path of Building, and multiply it by the number of projectiles that hits the target. While noting that initial projectiles does full damage, and repeated projectiles do 10% less damage at skill level 21.
Total hit damage = (Average hit * number of initial projectiles) + (Average hit * number of initial projectiles * unleash seals * 0.9)
So without Dying Sun, and if your average hit damage is 200k, it goes as follows:
Total hit damage = (200k * 6) + (200k * 6 * 4 * 0.9) ~= 5.5 million damage
With Dying Sun, total damage can reach more than 7 million hit damage (on paper). In reality it’s like 60-70% of that (due to some projectiles shooting too far to the side, missing the target if the boss hit box is not very large).
Link of 3.11 build:
- Unstable Infusion
- Deadly Infusion
Skill Gems and Links
- 6 Link Ice Spear (3B2R1G): Ice Spear-Unleash-Controlled Destruction-Cold to Fire-Fire penetration-Added Cold Damage
- 4 Link Winter Orb (On Frostferno helmet) (4B): Winter Orb-Infused channeling-Combustion-Efficacy
- 3 Link Whirling Blades (2G1R): Whirling Blades-faster Attack-Fortify
- 3 Link Buffs (1B1G1R): Vaal Righteous Fire-Hatred-Herald of Ash
- 4 Link Infernal Cry (2R1G1B): Infernal Cry-Urgent Orders-Second Wind-Increased Area of Effect
- 4 Link CWDT (1B3R): Cast When Damage taken-Steelskin-Wave of Conviction-Increased Duration
Early Leveling Gear/End-Game Gear/Uber Lab Enchant/Flasks/Pantheon/and more
in full guide here:
Last edited by givemelight on Jul 9, 2020, 7:38:26 AM
Last bumped on Aug 27, 2020, 4:03:09 AM
on Jul 6, 2020, 6:28:48 PM
Hey. I stumbled over this build by accident, and it piqued my interest.
In the original link you mentioned "this build as an Elementalist, an Occultist, an Inquisitor, a Trickster, or an Assassin".
I already have an inquisitor and I wanted to re-spec him to this build. But by playing in PoB I saw a massive drop in dps (2.9kk to 1.7kk) just by changing from Assassin to Inquisitor. Is there something that I am missing? I am not great at making builds, so I thought that I should ask.
on Aug 17, 2020, 4:12:48 AM
Hello, I'm glad to see this build grab your attention.
First things first, you see huge drop in dps in PoB because you probably didn't make proper changes in configuration tab. You need to apply these changes to see proper dps:
- Tick the check box next to "Are you on Consecrated ground"
- Tick the check box next to "Is the enemy on Consecrated ground"
- Untick the box next to "Are you Elusive"
Inquisitor is slower, and have less critical strike chance, but it's immune to elemental Ailments, and have better regeneration. Also can benfit from some good items that utilize "Consecrated ground" effects and buff it.
I made quick changes to passive tree and configuration to fit Inq, and results are very promising, this tree have higher damage potential:
I didn't touch items, but you can make some improvements there as well.
on Aug 17, 2020, 7:27:36 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I had a look at the PoB you posted. Thanks a lot! I always liked the idea of Ice spear. And this leagues was the first time I tried Winter orb, and it turns out I kinda like it. I might start with Winter orb next league.
You did change the pathing a bit, and I am grateful for that. I saw you improved it by going for power charges which, if I understand things correctly, I get from Assassin’s Mark (unique gloves). But that is for mapping, right? I don’t see a way to get power charges on boss fights.
You also removed the transcendent Flesh jewel. I also saw that the cold resistance is uncapped, but that should be easy to fix.
I also realised why I was losing so much dmg just by switching ascendancies: I was taking Inevitable Judgement. I thought it would be a good ascendancy, turns out I was sorely mistaken. That’s why I don’t make my own builds.
Thank you again for the help. I saw that most of the uniques are really cheap. I play on PS4, so prices are a bit whack, but I do have some exalts to work with, so I should be able to get this up and running in the next few days.
on Aug 19, 2020, 3:15:19 AM
In most maps bosses have adds, and with increased charge duration u can probably get to boss while you still have power charges from clearing the map.
If this isn't sufficient or you want to fight shaper/elder/Sirus..etc, u can put power charge on critical support gem in winter orb (instead of efficacy).. Power charges are really easy to generate through many ways.
on Aug 27, 2020, 4:03:09 AM