Gothic II Night of the Raven - Revisited with RETURNING 2.0 mod

This is meant first and foremost as a big thank you from me to all good folk involved in Gothic Saga games modding community, and particularly to a bunch of very crazy, resourceful, creative, knowledgeable, dedicated and passionate people from the Russian modding community, for giving us all hardcore Gothic fans the opportunity to experience our very favorite role playing game in a way we could have never dared to imagine in our wildest dreams before. Thank you guys, you absolutely rock! It's also an open invitation to all old-school fans of one of the greatest RPG classics of all time, not excluding certain younger players who seek a gaming challenge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now a bit about the Gothic Saga. Gothic is a single-player fantasy action role playing game made by Piranha Bytes, a small German game studio —a big heartfelt thank you goes to the developers also, after all nothing would be possible without them creating these diamonds— and released in 2001 in Europe mostly, but let's just not get into tiresome details about that crap...

The player is not an acomplished hero (that was actually quite fresh at the time), but rather a scoundrel and a weakling at that, a condemned prisoner thrown into a chaotic world of a mine valley, where old veteran prisoners rebeled, killed the King's guards and assumed control. The strong and ruthless became Barons living in luxury and comfort on the top of the food chain, so to speak. Their buddies became guards doing their bosses dirty work and exploiting the weak. The plebs, the rubble became diggers that do all the hard labor mining ore for their overlords, forcing down meatbug stew, getting the occasional beating, trying to survive on a day to day basis —you see mines in the valley are infested with man eating crawlers—, ready to pull a fast one on each and every sucker available, especially a greenhorn newbie (enter:our very own character), given half a chance.

There are 3 different camps that our nameless... unlikely hero can join, lots of quests to do, hell a lot of exploring and running around the whole place constantly (no cheesy teleportation till the very end), mainly avoiding every little critter along the way, cause at the beginning of the story he is squishy and slow as a snail, practically naked, clumsily wielding a wooden stick or a rusty piece of metal at best, and most likely able to hurt himself trying to attack anything but meatbugs. But the patient and methodical player can work their way all the way up to the top (albeit quite slowly), getting to save the day in the end. Oh, almost forgot, the valley is surrounded by an impenetrable magic barrier, hence the prison thing, a byproduct of a combined effort to cast a spell by the King's mages gone awry. Add on top of all that orcs living in their own territory, with a haunted orc cemetery and an ancient temple where evil lurks and never sleeps and you get the picture.

Gothic II is the sequel of course, made by Piranha Bytes and released in 2002 in Europe. Night of The Raven is the original game's expansion pack. No need to say more on publishing stuff, with contracts and rights, companies and ever scheming suits in high places, they can all burn for all I care.

Our nameless hero after defeating the demonic Sleeper, destroying the magic barrier in the process, survives the collapse of the temple through the magics of a devious and cunning necromancer named Xardas who resurrects him in his new tower in Khorinis, only to realize that once again he is weakened to the point of feeling (and acting) like a slug, and deep in shyte up to his neck. Xardas reveals to him that the valley of mines is swarmed with all kinds of monsters, the old Fort of the ore Barons, now hosting a contingent of the King's Paladins is besieged by a massive orcish army, ultimately being commanded by Dragons, and who knows what else... The player needs to work his way into the harbor town of Khorinis, become an apprentice to a master, join a faction, return to the valley of mines where he has to defeat the dragons, but only after he gets to visit the new add-on world of Jharkendar, join the local pirates there, become an infiltrator to the bandits camp at the behest of the Water mages, and do all kind of endless quests in order to complete the story line, in a way much bigger world than the first game, like twice or more.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gothic was hard. Gothic II was harder. Night of the Raven made it even harder. But they had their glitches, the patient and methodical player could learn them and ultimately beat the game easily, provided they managed to pull through at the beginning, when a lowly molerat, nay, even two ridiculous rats could... murder the PC like he never existed, not to mention a pack of wolves or a gang of filthy goblins that could swarm him in split seconds humiliating you and making you feel like total garbage.

Gothic II Night of the Raven with Returning 2.0 mod is unmerciful and ruthless. It introduces the aspect of different levels of difficulty, of course, but even in Easy level —which by the way gives more Skill Points with every new level— practically nothing is... easy. Normal is Hell mode On. Legendary is for masochists only. Glitches and cheesy tactics are almost wiped clean, MARVIN mode is not working (vets will know of what I'm talking about), at least not the way it did, and honestly I didn't bother to do a further research on the subject, cause you know, ultimately what's the point playing a hard game if you cheat it? There's always Barbie. And Ken. And I don't mean Sho Ryu Ken.

But it's not at all about the extra challenge only, that the game now offers, the world becomes like ten times bigger, with lots of new areas, new monsters including lots of high level bosses, hordes of new (and returning from Gothic1) NPCs, new quests including epic quest lines spanning all chapters, new weapons, armors, rings, amulets, belts and all kind of equipment, all with new graphics and 3d models with greater detail and beautiful textures. New additions are helmets, shields, spears, pole arms, rapiers, even dual wielding swords, so yes that means there's a ton of new mechanics and animations very well made and implemented technically. Fighting dual-wielding katanas or with Sword & Board is smooth and fluent, like it was always there, and I really never understood why the developers excluded shields entirely from their fantasy setting in the first place. Lesser guilds are available to join with their respective quest lines and unique rewards, endless twists and plots, the atmosphere is captivating, and generally from the moment you start playing the immersion into the Gothic world is instant and the feeling is better than ever.

Now I won't lie, I'm an old fan of the series, Gothic Saga is my second best games ever, only lagging a bit behind the Infinity Engine RPGs, Baldur's Gate Trilogy (heavily modded also), Icewind Dales and Planescape Torment. I've spent countless hours with Gothic games, but this time the experience was the best ever, 300 hours strong and still going. And I plan to do another full playthrough, since I get the feeling I missed quite a lot of things, when it usually took me about 60 for vanilla and like 90 for the LHiver modded version. Plus I've already played all other available mods like Golden Gate, Wasteland, Enhanced Edition, Xeres Return (Spine Edition), Dark Saga and many others.

Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Sep 19, 2020, 9:14:49 PM
Last bumped on Jun 8, 2021, 9:26:43 AM
And now we come to the Returning 2.0 mod, and what is required:

Gothic II Night of the Raven Gold Edition, or the Good Old Games [GOG] for friends edition is needed for the mod, and NOT Gothic. If you happen to be an old fan and still have the original game, well good for you, in any case you can buy it from GOG for peanuts, and that's a good thing too, cause those guys are great, their support is endless, every purchase is guaranted to work 100% without problems in modern operating systems and PCs, or you get your money back, no questions asked. Plus their philosophy of DRM-Free games, You Buy It - You Own It is simply irresistible, so it's worth every dime spent on their merchantise.

You can check out this link:
[https://www.gog.com/game/gothic_2_gold_edition]

IMPORTANT NOTE
----------------------
> Keep in mind that in order for the mod to work, you need to install the game in ANY other folder than the usual (suspect) Program Files and/or Program Files (x86), so use something like C:\Games\Gothic2\ or whatever. That said let's get down to business...

> Go to this link:
[https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1500961-RETURNING-v2-0-Stand-Fragen-Antworten-7]
The page is originally in german, but don't fret it, be calm instead and use auto-translate to english, easy-peasy!

> Locate the link [0066_R2 torrent] then using your favorite Torrent utility download this file [Gothic-II-Returning.iso] which is the main mod file and an iso file at that, so you're gonna need a program like Daemon Tools, Power ISO or whatever to manage it later on. You can find many free utilities of the kind on the internet, if you don't have one already installed on your system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Open (mount) image file .ISO with [insert program of choice here], locate Ret file icon & RUN it...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> In menu change language from RUS to ENG, then choose [NECESSARY SOFTWARE]

> Install [vcredist_hybrid_x64]

> Install [directx_jun2010_redist]

> Install [gothic2_fix-2.6.0.0-rev2.exe] ---> WeiteR ---> DuRst... ---> iNstallieReN

> Install [gothic2_playerkit-2.6f.exe]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> In menu choose [SETUP]

---> wait to unpack ---> click NEXT ---> click I Agree
---> Need to check RussiaN Version installation option
---> Then click optional patches ---> but check NOT Russification
---> Check other options > RAM to 4GiG > update of library > SHW32.dll > FoNt Hi-Res

> original music by KaiRo is optional
> Camera DX11 is optioNal too

---> DX11 iNstallatioN optioNal (keep in mind that min specs go up)

---> instead you can goto
[https://rpgrussia.com/threads/oficialnye-i-neoficialnye-patchi-na-versiju-0066-r2.8669/]
and download [DX11_17.5_Liker.rar]
then Copy the contents of the archive to the <System> folder in the game directory

... Finish

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Now do the DATA EXECUTiON PREVENTiON thingie in WiN10
my Computer ---> properties ---> advanced system settings ---> advanced ---> settings [PERFORMANCE]
---> DATA EXECUTION PREVENTION tab ---> select [turn on DEP for...] Navigate to G2NotR <System> folder select .exe file

> Next download Fix_No1_for_0066_R2.rar ---> [rpgrussia.com]_RET2_Scripts_Patch.rar
fRom
[https://rpgrussia.com/threads/oficialnye-i-neoficialnye-patchi-na-versiju-0066-r2.8669/]
The page is originally in Russiann, but you know the drill by now!
Unzip the archive and copy the [RET2_Scripts_Patch.vdf] file to the G2NotR <Data> folder...

> Next click the link [RET2_0066R2.1_googlepatch.exe] and download file [RET2_0066Rev2.1_googlepatch.exe.zip]
back from
[https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1500961-RETURNING-v2-0-Stand-Fragen-Antworten-7]
Unzip it using a utility like 7z1900-x64, or whatever you prefer keeping in mind that if the zipped file seems problematic it's most likely you're using an older outdated version, so you need to update the program, and the error will be no more. This file is the google translation (regrettably so) of the russian texts, of the russian mod, made by the fine people of the russian modding community, so better be prepared for some silliness, but one can't have have everything in this life. This is by far and wide the mod's weakest spot, and if you dislike this kind of thing, then I guess you're better off not touching the mod altogether. Another weird thing is the Russian Voice-Over added by the mod which gets mixed up with vanilla game's english one, so you get to experience situations you previously only had the chance to experience in... Clockwork Orange! Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing, but that's just me, amirite droog?

> Also if too much vegetation is getting on your nerves, or you prefer less grass, more visibility, plus a nice way to make it less stressful for your graphics adapter then:

From [https://yadi.sk/d/uumUOh_U3GSSyL]

DowNload ---> file [noGRASS_Release.7z] ---> uNzip & put in <data> gothic folder

noGRASS.vdf ---> Removes only grass

noGRASS_all.vdf ---> Turns off everything except trees

noGRASS_full.vdf ---> Turns off everything including trees

noGRASS_full_all.vdf ---> Disables everything possible

LAST BUT NOT LEAST:
iN <game folder>\system\ locate ---> Gothic.ini
CHANGE ---> zVobFarClipZScale=0 ---> to 1-3 for better visibility in-game.

You can always experiment with other settings too. Good Luck & happy hunting!
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Sep 9, 2020, 9:48:11 PM
> Last minute addition is a new AST.dll that completely fixes Out Of Memory crashes, and also adds fast saves and fast loot.

From
[https://rpgrussia.com/resources/ast-dll-r2-0066-2-fixoutofmemory-quicksaves-quickloot.308/]

Locate on the right side button ---> [Download ( 187.8 KB / rar )]
DowNload File ---> [[rpgrussia.com]_AST_ 2020_06_28_15-46.rar]
---> uNzip & put it in <system> gothic folder replacing existing file

Something to whet your appetite!

Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Sep 9, 2020, 10:03:05 PM

This is my level 89 100 Sword & Board Tank Character that joined General Lee's (yeah I know, Go Dixie) mercenaries, then later became Dragon Hunter, and three of the game's best items for the class, but really hard to acquire, especially the damned Blood Armor. You have to do all Valley of the Ancients Quests, find Raven who escapes this time from Jharkendar, defeat him a second time for good, then travel to Lost Souls Island, manage somehow to kill the game's hardest enemy for this class the Wraith Lord Asinox, that can only be hurt with a Silver Sword, then Undead Lord Chel'Drak, and ultimately the game's strongest fighter the accursed Ile'Sil that kills you with 3 hits max!

So don't get fooled by the numbers like 641 808 STRENGTH and 5867 6781 LIFE, cause those numbers are a joke compared to 75.000 strong Hit Points Bosses that hit like a truck! Oh, and even a S&B Tank needs at least 120 DEXTERITY in order to be able to learn ACROBATICS skill which not only is life saving, but a prerequisite for all characters in certain situations, when jumping chasms and stuff, so keep that in mind...

Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Jul 31, 2020, 11:25:18 AM
Gothic 2 is still my all time favorite game. Never heard of this mod, gotta check it out.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Did u say Gothic?? I have to check this thing man.. Gothic I and II was my favourite games back in those days:) thanks for info :)
"There is only one true god in PoE and that is Greed... "

I don’t need anger management, I need people to stop pissing me off!
I got some extra information coming from the very active (and very talented) Polish modding community of Gothic Saga games. Two new mods are expected to be released in late 2020 (knock on wood, pandemic and all) that simply need original Gothic II Night of the Raven Gold Edition installed on your system in order to run, but they both are whole new FREE games! Check out their websites, with all kind of info, FAQs and videos about the projects.

History of Khorinis project is a Gothic prequel, more than 10 years before the plot of the game and before the creation of the Magic Barrier, practically a brand new whole game, with a new protagagonist and a new interesting story line...

Chronicles of Myrtana is a series of mods, where you will witness the Kingdom of Myrtana under the rule of king Rhobar II, the first part of the modification, titled "Archolos", takes place 10 years before the events of Gothic I, during The Second War against the Orcs and before the Magic Barrier separated the Colony from the rest of the world...

So to summarize, you buy an old classic diamond for like 10 bucks, a game that every Path of Exile fan must play at least once, if only just to get an idea where it all begun (it wasn't just Diablo, Gothic is the other... pole of the world that gave birth to the ARPG genre), and you get to play it updated, 10 or 15 times bigger in every aspect than the original game, and then you get two extra mods, practically two new extra games, and all that for free, fancy that...
Last edited by Nizhidrhamannit on Jun 19, 2020, 11:36:17 AM
What I'd really like to know is what you are receiving to market it so hard? What's your involvement? This all seems way excessive to just be fanboism... :P
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Haven't played it in a long time.

My favourite is Gothic 2, with Addon.

So this mod is is about balancing, UI improvements and some high-definition texture packs while using the old character/NPC models and terrain shape.

You mentioned level 89 and 5k life. Guess it has to do with the difficulty setting as the original vanilla game had you around lvl 30 to beat the story and around 400 hp maybe.

Anyways, on thing to note is that the german voice lines are best fitting for this game (they sound way cooler) and the current russian voice lines and google translated texts may water down the immersion (and character jokes) a bit. But i guess it works for a playthrough if you want a rough translation.

Best compromise would be german voice lines and english (original) text.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 19, 2020, 3:07:59 AM
Oh I see both my previous posts got magically deleted, miserable humoristic attempts as they were, I guess dear moderators know better, I really meant no offense, is the word ass and jokes about it, by the way mentioned in the Code of Conduct as forbidden and politically incorrect? Anyway I'll stick to the rules, thanks for putting me back in order, where I belong, no doubt about that.

@aggromagnet
You got me right there matey, it's all about the money, nickels and dimes!

@gandhar0
This mod is is about balancing but not really, it's way too hard to be called balanced, lots of UI improvements and many high-definition texture packs, while using the old character/NPC models and adding hundreds new and updated ones. As for the terrain it changes shape considerably, new parts are added to existing ones, plus there are tens of brand new areas thrown in the mix, all packed with new monsters and bosses and quests and hidden stuff, secrets, twists and turns in an endless labyrinth of a game. Gotta warn you though one thing is certain this... mod, practically a new game 15 times bigger in every aspect of vanilla, is not for purists.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info