Why do people pay to feel sad?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102130/Florence/

Came across this game on Steam. Sounds cute, and it is. But you'll feel melancholy by the end of it. However, it got me thinking more generally - there are products out there, games but also much else, that you buy knowing you'll feel sad by the end. Why does this market exist in the first place? Why would you pay to lessen your mood / ruin your day / regret your life? Thoughts?
Last edited by Exile009 on Feb 14, 2020, 4:29:25 AM
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2020, 7:29:16 AM
i would say people pay to FEEL.

It is about investing enough in a story to actually invoke a emotional reaction in you and that is worth paying for, since so much of the shit released just dose not hit the spot they are aiming for...it could make you happy, it can make you laugh, it can get you thinking outside the box and it can make you sad.

It's the same for every medium, if it can make you feel SOMETHING then it is worth paying for.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Feb 14, 2020, 2:06:38 PM
"Why do people pay to feel sad?" --Aristophanes, pitching his next madcap satire comedy to the Office of the Archons in Athens.

"Idk, why don't you ask him?" Subintern to Archon, pointing at Sophocles, who was just leaving, having successfully sold his ninth season of tragic trilogies.

It's an old question, and a valid one. Mostly for catharsis, because as a social species hardwired with empathy, it allows us to feel and empathize in the safety of a theatre, with the misfortunes of people who are removed from us by reality or time.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
damiendada wrote:
A little adventure of life.
I expected more engagement, more interactions than putting together pieces of puzzles to advance the story, I expected to be able to enjoy it for more than half an hour.
A good hour of extra play is missing, even with simple mechanics.

I wasn't trying to encourage people to buy it. Even so, the user reviews there would've made it clear what you were buying into, including how long the whole thing was.
"
crunkatog wrote:
"Why do people pay to feel sad?" --Aristophanes, pitching his next madcap satire comedy to the Office of the Archons in Athens.

"Idk, why don't you ask him?" Subintern to Archon, pointing at Sophocles, who was just leaving, having successfully sold his ninth season of tragic trilogies.

It's an old question, and a valid one. Mostly for catharsis, because as a social species hardwired with empathy, it allows us to feel and empathize in the safety of a theatre, with the misfortunes of people who are removed from us by reality or time.

Aristophanes! An arrogant elitist, an aristocrat, and a rotten bastard (full of poison and spite), my kind of guy exactly!

By words the mind is winged, Birds (414 BC).
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
"
"
crunkatog wrote:

Aristophanes! An arrogant elitist, an aristocrat, and a rotten bastard (full of poison and spite), my kind of guy exactly!

By words the mind is winged, Birds (414 BC).

Got to admit though he has the best diss tracks of all.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Dis... tract of his
a diss track it is
to the... destruction of his rivals it leads
as for me, damn it distracts me indeed...
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
emotions are like food, you want to be able to enjoy a full array of tastes and experience the debt they have to offer and various combinations.

The negative ones are no different in my eyes, in fact i think it's healthy to step into them voluntary, it allows you to appreciate what they have to offer as opposed to being overwhelmed and taken over by them.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Nothing is sadder than life

facts
well when i bought Nier and it successor, i paid to feel empty ;)
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
Last edited by tsunamikun on Feb 18, 2020, 7:32:10 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info