Counters to Chill

Freeze, shock and burning status ailments are relatively easy to counter with gear (Wanderlust/Dream Fragments, Fairgraves, Ashrend) but chill seems to have less effective options to deal with it.

There's;

- 55% worth of chance to avoid being chilled nodes on the passive tree.
- Increasing your number of movement speed, attack speed, and cast speed passives.
- Gear to increase movement speed, attack speed.
- Dispel frozen and chill flasks.
- Hrimnor's Resolve (50% chance to avoid being chilled) at level 55. Not available for 28 pvp.

All require a much larger investment compaired to the other status ailments, which for the most part I feel is impractical. Centering a whole build to counter chill?

If you gear frozen and chill flasks, then you have less flasks available for immunity to curses. Combine temp chains with chill and it makes it even more difficult to counter. And these are usually paired together.

30% slow from chill and up to 36% slow from 20% quality temp chains at level 28 = 66% total slow.

Am I missing anything? Perhaps there should be an immunity to chill unique as a counter?
IGN: _Firebitch
"
Firebrand76 wrote:
Freeze, shock and burning status ailments are relatively easy to counter with gear (Wanderlust/Dream Fragments, Fairgraves, Ashrend) but chill seems to have less effective options to deal with it.

There's;

- 55% worth of chance to avoid being chilled nodes on the passive tree.
- Increasing your number of movement speed, attack speed, and cast speed passives.
- Gear to increase movement speed, attack speed.
- Dispel frozen and chill flasks.
- Hrimnor's Resolve (50% chance to avoid being chilled) at level 55. Not available for 28 pvp.

All require a much larger investment compaired to the other status ailments, which for the most part I feel is impractical. Centering a whole build to counter chill?

If you gear frozen and chill flasks, then you have less flasks available for immunity to curses. Combine temp chains with chill and it makes it even more difficult to counter. And these are usually paired together.

30% slow from chill and up to 36% slow from 20% quality temp chains at level 28 = 66% total slow.

Am I missing anything? Perhaps there should be an immunity to chill unique as a counter?

Besides the unique boots im not sure anything else offers total immunity from being chilled/frozen.

Temp Chains is another can of worms. Reminds of clegs in D2.

Slow effects like these are annoying in PVP.

I personally choose to duel people who don't rely on SLOWNESS skills for pvp. Which is hard to do in its current setting.

"
Vooodu wrote:

Besides the unique boots im not sure anything else offers total immunity from being chilled/frozen.

The boots (Wanderlust) unfortunately only offer immunity to freeze not chill.
Thats another of those things that almost everyone must use not to loose - chill. Even mages link spells with added cold damage.
Since cold damage is so easy to get on jewelry etc it's better for weapon users, but fire/lightning mages are in a bit of disadvantage having to link their spells with added cold damage.
ign: Grandpa_From_Graveyard
You need a certain threshold of cold damage vs your max hp to get chilled sooo overstack resistsm increase max elemental/cold resist (sapphire flask works for both) and get more hp and you won't get chilled (as often and as long) even when cursed - at least for lower levels. At high levels you gotta do this and get the avoid to be chilled passives,etc. imo chill is pretty balanced as a whole - we need a few available forms of cc which can't all be hard countered to make things fun.
"
slant90 wrote:
You need a certain threshold of cold damage vs your max hp to get chilled sooo overstack resistsm increase max elemental/cold resist (sapphire flask works for both) and get more hp and you won't get chilled (as often and as long) even when cursed - at least for lower levels. At high levels you gotta do this and get the avoid to be chilled passives,etc. imo chill is pretty balanced as a whole - we need a few available forms of cc which can't all be hard countered to make things fun.

I don't think I can do much better than 80% cold resist and 1100 hp for my facebreaker build. The chill is still debilitating against people who have centered their builds around it. Cold snap is the main culprit.
Well, you could just nearly double your chill threshold by increasing your hp to something like 1,8k or 1,9k. Probably the most effective way instead of wasting points on "avoid chill", which would be completely useless against most other builds.

In my oppinion, things are perfectly fine, the way they are atm. You can just use Quicksilver Flasks for insane Movespeed to counter the permanent kiting of builds like my caster.

I mean, if there would be no slow effects, then a perfectly geared facebreaker would be just winning against (almost?) all builds, but chill and temp chains counter their main weakness in pvp: their immobility. I think thats why it is fine the way it is.
we are talking about higher lvl pvp right? Because in lvl 28 pvp I dont use any cant be frozen gear and I really never become immobile due to chill or frozen.
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
"
we are talking about higher lvl pvp right? Because in lvl 28 pvp I dont use any cant be frozen gear and I really never become immobile due to chill or frozen.

You are playing hc lvl 28pvp, right? Anyway, a good lvl 28 pvp build can just pretty much chill you all the time. Don't need to be lvl 50+ for that.
"
Apokalyxio wrote:
Well, you could just nearly double your chill threshold by increasing your hp to something like 1,8k or 1,9k.

You can just use Quicksilver Flasks for insane Movespeed to counter the permanent kiting of builds like my caster.

Getting almost 2k life may work with tank marauder builds but what about people who choose not to go this route? This again requires one to commit their whole build to counter one status ailment.

Quicksilver flasks may help with move speed but does nothing for attack or cast speed. They're severely gimped that way still. It's extremely hard to hit someone when you're under the influence of temp chains and chill.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info