New Player perspectyve!?

So hello fellas,

I'm kinda new player to POE. ( has playing on PS4 when it realized, but sadly my ps4 burn it out so I go move to PC version of POE)

I'm kinda play a lot of SSF still need much more experience with all good thing that poe can offer, now that i'm waiting new league I wanna try SSFHC., I always want to play SSFHC but the PS4 with the lag and delay just don't feels good as PC.

So what I want to ask maybe I can some tips for SSFHC for the kinda new player.
P.s I don't play softcore since at least is for me seems kinda boring.

Thanks exiles!
Start playing in 3.9!
Last bumped on Jan 3, 2020, 5:23:11 PM
Take your time and be 100% sure that what you're doing wont kill you. Even 99% sure wont cut it. You'll die eventually.
Unless you're fine with dying over and over again and start new chars from scratch every time I would suggest to make at least one complete playthrough in SC before you start in HC. There is so much stuff in this game that will outright kill you if you don't know about it. If you want to be able to survive in HC you need to know the game inside out. And even then it might still get you somehow.
Start playing in 3.9!
Last edited by Iqtbeerbelly on Jan 23, 2020, 8:42:48 AM
It's a different way to play. Not for everyone, but some people really prefer it. If you've done Shaper, you should be fine.

FYI, I find that HC trade is pretty much like SSF anyway, since there are not nearly as many items for sale and they are stupidly expensive. So if going for HC, might as well do it SSF if you are not going to party. (If you like to party, that would be a reason NOT to do SSF.)

The tips for HC and SSF will be a bit different though. There is a SSF thread here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1843683

Not sure there is a similar thread for HC, but I'm sure some of the SSFers are doing it HC.

General tips for HC include things like prioritizing defense over offense, but even that gets tricky because too-low dps puts you at risk longer in a fight. So I would say that you just have to think about your balance more carefully, and don't be afraid to respec some points, even as you level, to be in a comfortable place. That includes the balance between you and your minions if you are summoning. As an experienced player, this is something that you learn to feel.

There are other real basics, like never opening a strongbox without scrolling it first, and not doing a boss fight unless you are really clear on the mechanics. Some content, like Breaches and monoliths, have generally poor rewards, and come with a small chance of a really nasty rare that might be able to one-shot you. Those are not worth doing in HC. And you stay away from bosses that are bad for your particular build.

For SSF, it's more about learning to craft, and deciding what types of crafting you will do and what you won't. SSF will force you to get much better at crafting. You may also want to adjust your loot filters, since crafting bases are more important in SSF.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by GreyLensman on Dec 9, 2019, 12:37:52 PM
Do experiment. Create SSFSC char but play it as HC and see how long Youll survive and when Youll get that "whaaaat? how?" moment. Then Youll decide if You want real HC experience.

IMHO game in current shape is FAR from place to seriously play HC. I think about it and if it would be like Deomn Souls were MY MISTAKE is the ONLY reason why i die then OK. But in PoE Youll die:
1. Lag spike.
2. Fps drop.
3. Weird mechanics combo (surprise one shot).
4. Freez and die (game stopped working).

But thats IMHO.
I think 1, 2 and 4 depend mainly on the computer and the ISP. There are folks who do not have these problems at all, and others who do quite often. If you suffer from these in SC, HC is not going to be much fun.

3 is real for everyone, and also pretty infrequent. Of course it depends on the content, and much of it can be avoided by avoiding known content where it can happen.
There are lot of things to kill you and lot of surprises.. and also lot of things to do wrong when building up your character.. Learning about each one the hard way can be pretty time consuming and frustrating (imagine getting instagibbed few times in a row by a10 boss without even realizing whats going on). If you have no idea what you are doing and what to expect, the learning process will be much much slower compared to SC.

The game is pretty challenging for new players even in SC, so I suggest starting there to learn the basics and what to expect in both story and endgame, then switching to HC

But its your decision, you decide what is fun for you. Its certainly possible to start and learn everything in HC mode only.
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Dec 9, 2019, 2:31:51 PM
Start playing in 3.9!
Last edited by Iqtbeerbelly on Jan 23, 2020, 8:43:06 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info