Path of Exile: Gauntlet

The map is nearly clear '/remaining' ... 1 ...

I search, almost frantically in frustrated movement, for my remaining foe.

I find him.

This foe, who was once my mentor, stands before me. Leo, haggard and sullen, exiled from the Syndicate, rejected and unwanted by the promises of new league mechanics, barely manages to stand upright, teetering on two unsteady legs.

And yet, a glimmer of defiance remains in his eyes.

"Hello exile," he smirks through bruised lips. His shaky hand forms a knife and becomes the rigid blade to his arm, directing my eye to a strange archway behind him.

The archway is made of beaten and bent blades of swords and the heads of axes, maces, spears, and all manner of weaponry curved and molded to form its imposing invitation. Shattered bows, wands, scepters, and staffs litter its base.

Between the arches exists a hazy reflection of the world before it... my own visage is a muddled and freakish representation of some souless, compromised, and bastardized version of who I thought I once was.

But I am hypnotized, compelled forward by this image... I reach out and touch the reflection... it shatters, and I am consumed in darkness.

Light.

I stand in a large, circular chamber... heavy wood and iron doors branch off before me, four to be exact. Drawing my eyes from left to right, I spy the engraved symbols above each door.

The first shows a sword and axe crossed over a shield.

The second shows a trap atop a mound of mines.

The third shows a wand and scepter crossed over a staff.

The fourth shows only a bow.

"Welcome, Exile," Leo startles me, "to the Gauntlet."

'The "Gauntlet?"' I ask, 'What is the "Gauntlet?"'

"It is where all exiles eventually come," he replies, "The Guantlet is formed by the Masters, who grind the gears of Fate for their own amusement... to select the greatest of us all."

"I don't understand, how do they find the greatest - and what are these doors?" I inquire, pointing ahead.

Leo smirks, renewed life and vigor seems to flow through him, his stance steady. "The Masters scour the arenas of Wreclast for the most deadly exiles in each specialty. They are brought here, to the Gauntlet, here they are given a choice... to select a door to protect, or a door to enter. Each door offers riches, in the way of items, enchants, and crafting abilities specific to their specialty."

I rub my chin, 'But what if no Exiles wish to guard these doors?'

"Oh," Leo shudders, "The ghosts of the Hall of Grandmasters wander here... when no exile exists to guard, they feel compelled to fill the void."

'But what if an inexperienced, but potentially great exile wishes to enter?' I ask.

"Exiles who enter only fight enemies scaled to their similar skill level," Leo winks, "to ensure a fair and equitably entertaining match."

I again gaze upon the four pathways.

'But surely,' I shake my head, 'the Masters cannot accommodate the most dangerous and evil exiles... there are some, surely, that do not belong even here?'

Leo lets out a hearty laugh, "Even those have a place here," he gestures back whence I came. And there it stood, a nondescript wooden door with a jester's face carved upon it. "There, through that door, dwell the exiles for which no category nor moral foundation exist."

A long shiver glides mercilessly down my spine - I suddenly feel the undeniable need to run.

'May I leave?' I ask, 'Where is the exit?' I spin around, my fear engulfing my reason and my head swims with terror...

"No exile," Leo sighs, "The only way out is through."

Path of Exile: Gauntlet

--- To save PvP

Edit: This all hinges on the idea that doors can only be accessed by completing 1v1, CTF, and Sarn matches (a la Leo Quests).

Last edited by Actalo on Sep 30, 2019, 5:40:56 AM
Last bumped on Sep 30, 2019, 3:18:07 PM
Well written.
I like the excitement of a gladiatorial arena. The four doors, i get what you’re after which is archetypes.
Balance in 1v1 is impossible. But, allowing players to balance with mandatory 3v3 or 5v5 or even just 2v2 offers more counter play. A buddy system with buffs when having different ascendancies in a teamfight, or perks when a certain weapon type is equipped, or arenas that only unlock dependent on player class composition.

Also, i’ve always thought that PvPvE would be a better outlet for end game competition.
Player v Player v 10 uber elders. Killing each elder allows the player team to invade into the opposing teams instance.
Also, ziggurat style mode, instead of deep delving, climb higher and higher into smaller and smaller arenas going from 5v5, to 4v4, to 3v3, to 2v2, to 1v1.
🎈🤡LEGACY MINER & TRAPPER MIRROR SERVICE: 1713980🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER UNIQUE: KAOM'S SPIRIT🎈Designer: IronVsWild🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER SINCE APRIL 2012🤡🎈
🎈🤡IGN: CLOWNPOWDER & CLOWNLIVESMATTER🤡🎈
Last edited by Castablanca on Sep 30, 2019, 12:09:34 PM
"
Castablanca wrote:
Well written.
I like the excitement of a gladiatorial arena. The four doors, i get what you’re after which is archetypes.
Balance in 1v1 is impossible. But, allowing players to balance with mandatory 3v3 or 5v5 or even just 2v2 offers more counter play. A buddy system with buffs when having different ascendancies in a teamfight, or perks when a certain weapon type is equipped, or arenas that only unlock dependent on player class composition.

Also, i’ve always thought that PvPvE would be a better outlet for end game competition.
Player v Player v 10 uber elders. Killing each elder allows the player team to invade into the opposing teams instance.
Also, ziggurat style mode, instead of deep delving, climb higher and higher into smaller and smaller arenas going from 5v5, to 4v4, to 3v3, to 2v2, to 1v1.

where is your unique BTW, it will be in the game when no one will pvp anymore :(
Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
They keep implementing my exact unique specifications.
I submitted unique to have long range mines.
I wanted a unique gem that can be socketed into gem sockets: abyss jewels.

The next item submission probably is gonna be totems.
Basically have totems attach or hover around character, kind of like mirage archer and winter orb.
And gain “totems fire skill when you fire skill.” Kind of like diablo 3 marauder dh.
Self-cast reallly needs some love.
🎈🤡LEGACY MINER & TRAPPER MIRROR SERVICE: 1713980🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER UNIQUE: KAOM'S SPIRIT🎈Designer: IronVsWild🤡🎈
🎈🤡ETERNAL SUPPORTER SINCE APRIL 2012🤡🎈
🎈🤡IGN: CLOWNPOWDER & CLOWNLIVESMATTER🤡🎈

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info