[3.7] Raider Smite [Guardians/Shaper viable. Uber Elder not tested] - Gotta go fast!

What's up, guys? It's me again with a build for Legion league, trying again with Smite. During Betrayal league I tried it with a Champion and this league (remembering the Mathil's Smite Raider he did in Delve) I decided to make a Raider to put on test the skill with the changes made on the passive tree.

Besides the good things that the ascendancy has (and I didn't die a lot, luckily - only 42 times and I'm lvl 94) and that I have like 6.2K life, the character feels quite squishy. You could be one-shotted easily (Maraketh/Templar bois wiped my A$$ several times in a single hit) so I decided to go for the elemental side on the ascendancy choices instead of the Slaughter side to get more survivability, some attack/spell dodge and ailment immunity.

Without any further, let's get into the interesting things.

PoB WITH LEVELING TREES AND PoB WITH TREE AND GEAR

- PoB link with trees if you want to see how I leveled up this character (roughly estimated). Open in Path Of Building and change the trees in the dropdown selecting one on the left of the "Reset" button:
https://pastebin.com/2VUgVLHy

Final tree with all the gear and stuff: https://pastebin.com/bivM72RT

PROS AND CONS
PROS
- +6K HP.
- Great clear speed and very good single target damage!
- Elemental immunity.
- Free Frenzy charges.

CONS
- Quite squishy even with +6K HP. You should watch what it's hitting you, you could get one-shotted easily.
- You can't do elemental/physical reflect map. Reroll is a must on "Cannot leech" maps.
- Is quite hard to break the 6K HP bar. You should invest quite heavily.
- No Acro/Phase Acro on tree so low attack dodge/spell dodge.

SOME PIECES OF ADVICE DURING MAPPING

- Reroll map if it is Elemental/Phyiscal reflect.
- Reroll if it has Temporal Chains. You do not want being slowed as f*ck.
- Care if it rolls with reduced evasion. It may be not doable.
- Reroll if it has "reduced maximum resistances" and double or triple damage as extra elemental damage on monster.
- Reroll if it has "Critical Strike Chance/Multiplier" damage. Is rippy.
- Obviously, reroll on "Cannot leech" maps.
- Take care if it rolls with "Turbo" mod. During Legion encounters your A$$ could be wiped out easily.

ASCENDANCIES AND PANTHEONS

- Normal Lab: Way of The Poacher
- Cruel Lab: Avatar of the Slaughter
- Merciless Lab: Quartz Infusion
- Uber Lab: Avatar of the Veil

Why not Rapid Assault/Avatar of the Chase? Because the character is too squishy, with Avatar of the Veil we are full Phasing and we are immune to elemental ailments so more rooms for unique flasks. If you want to go full DPS then choose Rapid Assault/Avatar of the Chase.

For pantheons just choose whatever it suits the better for you. I usually go for Brine King to avoid stun chains, Ryslatha during lab trials and Lab services. Then it will depend on what I'll face.

GEAR

WEAPONS

For weapons in my case, just two foils with high physical damage. Smite converts 50% of your physical damage to lightning.

Ideally, you would want two foils with T1 lightning damage, T1/T2 AS as a base. Then multi-mod elemental penetration, 'Hits can't be Evaded' and Critical Strike Chance/Quality. It will provide more damage than my two foils.

Links on main hand:

Links on off hand:

BODY

I was using an Elder Astral Plate, but it was ilvl 78, so whatever I would do over the chest I would get lower rolls. So I decided to change it for this one and happened to turn 6 white sockets with the Corruption Altar from Temple. I corrupted just for the memes to see what would happen.
The ideal chest would be an Elder one with high life, Delve life/#% increased max life, Critical Strike Chance, lvl 1 Maim and -15 reduced mana cost. But it would take a little bit of grind and time to craft it xD I hope to get this kind of chest before the league ends.

Links:

I swap:

for:

when facing bosses.

HELMET, GLOVES AND BOOTS

It was a good choice for me to grab a helmet with the Temple "Reduce mana reserved". And coupled with an Enlighten I would reduce a good bunch of reserved mana to fit more auras for me.
You may want something like this. Big life, resistances, and the Temple "Reduce mana reserved" is kind of a luxury but it suits very well.
For enchant you would want the "Smite has a 15% chance for lightning to strike another target" one.

Links on helmet:

Big life and resistances. You may want attack speed here too. These ones I found them identifying rares xD quite lucky. It doesn't have space for attack speed but they are quite good though.
For enchant, Commandment of Spite is quite good and defensive. Offensively Commandment of Fury.

Links in gloves:

For boots, high resistances and big chunk of life. For enchants, the elemental penetration if you haven't killed recently is the best.

Links in boots:

JEWELLERY

Rings with big life, resistances if it suits and WED. Nothing crazy here. Stats are very well welcomed too.

Stats, life, Critical Strike Chance/Multiplier and physical damage/elemental damage if possible.

Big amount of life and resistances. I should recraft this one for another better. Ideally, you want a big amount of life, resistances WED and Delve Elemental Damage mod.

JEWELS AND FLASKS

For rare jewels search for the most amount of attack speed/attack speed with swords if possible. Then the rest is up to you, test in PoB to see what it could suits better and gives you more damage overall. I choose these ones as preference.

A Watcher's Eye with Physical as extra lightning while affected by Wrath and increased Attack Speed while affected by Precision. The perfect combination would be a two mod Wrath and increased attack speed while affected by Precision.

An Abyss jewel that fits well for my build. Lightning damage to attacks/to sword attacks, life, and attack speed if you've dealt a crit recently.

Anti-bleed life flask, Lion's Roar, Wise Oak for elemental resistances, anti-curse Diamond flask and Atziri's Promise for extra damage. We don't need anti-freeze or something like that because we are always at full Frenzy charges and triggering Phasing which makes us immune to elemental ailments.

And that's it for now! I guess I will be leveling up to 95 (currently 94) and I will stop there. There is not much to do at this point in Legion so I guess I'll move on to Standard after making a new and final character.
Any questions that you have I'll be glad if you leave comments with it. See you around, guys!
Last edited by Educmack on Aug 7, 2019, 2:09:11 PM
Last bumped on Sep 3, 2019, 11:05:15 PM
Hey! I liked your Smite Raider, Do u think is nice to try it out in SSF league? maybe I will try it out! :))
"
Dz3m00RR wrote:
Hey! I liked your Smite Raider, Do u think is nice to try it out in SSF league? maybe I will try it out! :))

Hey, dude! Thank you in taking your time reading my build guide :) in my opinion, if I would have to play in SSF, I won't be doing a melee character as my league starter. Well, not this one as a league starter. Smite is strong with high tier content as you can see in the videos, but once you are geared up enough. But you can try, and tell me! On the other side, I have never played SSF before. Maybe this league I'll give it a try. I'm kinda bored of trading leagues, and you can do almost the same in SSF as you do in trading leagues :) the only thing is that it takes a little more time to improve!
Last edited by Educmack on Aug 13, 2019, 7:36:39 PM
Pretty fun build
Thank you for making a smite build! I actually did a smite raider this league too, but i took acro. A lot of issues I had with gearing (getting colors on a chest and that kinda thing) could probably solved by not running acro so im very excited to try this (probably in Blight as raider is not getting reworked)

Here's my raider POB if you're interested

https://pastebin.com/zdzKR4fz

(i need to get rid of master of the arena but minmaxing is getting hard :/ unless i slam it on a jewell or something)

Anyways, Cool! Thanks!
"
aaronbst wrote:
Thank you for making a smite build! I actually did a smite raider this league too, but i took acro. A lot of issues I had with gearing (getting colors on a chest and that kinda thing) could probably solved by not running acro so im very excited to try this (probably in Blight as raider is not getting reworked)

Here's my raider POB if you're interested

https://pastebin.com/zdzKR4fz

(i need to get rid of master of the arena but minmaxing is getting hard :/ unless i slam it on a jewell or something)

Anyways, Cool! Thanks!

Hey, dude! Thank you for taking your time reading my post :) I'm glad that you are trying this!

I saw your PoB, it's very cool that you wanted to share what you did with this build :) I kinda wanted to go more defensively in terms of passive points.

The Blind cluster on the tree is interesting because is another layer of defense and gives you Crit Chance against blinded enemies. Besides it only gives 15% chance to blind, you almost do like 10-12 attacks per second, so you are blinding on hit most of the time.

The Acro/Phase Acro is a plus in terms of defensive layers too, I'm not used to it, but is a very good choice to be more evasive in combat.
Yep, minmaxing is hard in terms of adjusting things on your gear/passive tree without losing too much damage and the nerf to Abyss Jewels make things a little bit complicated to rump up DPS. In my case, using just rare jewels was a better option. I wanted to go with Tombfist using Abyss jewels too but that would mean that I have to lose a big chunk of damage relying most of resistances on jewelry and you really need the damage to kill before you get killed xD

Enough talk haha glad you were here and I hope you really give this build a try during Blight! See you there!
Hi again! Any thoughts on the raider mini re-work? Thanks!
"
aaronbst wrote:
Hi again! Any thoughts on the raider mini re-work? Thanks!

Hey, dude! How is it going? Well, it seems a buff overall. Not a big "re-work" as (I guess) everyone was expecting. But it opens a branch to be more selective on your ascendancies. You get the elemental damage and the +1 Frenzy early and some nodes have interesting things like the elemental exposure on nearby enemies for the Avatar of the Veil node while you have Phasing. I guess this league I'll do another Raider and see how good these changes are :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info